talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Heroes and The Also-Rans: Statistical Best Performers This Season

• Subscriber

Noticed the live scores app I use recently provides quite an array of season-long stats for both teams and players for the Premier League. I've been keeping an eye on them over the past few weeks and thought it would be worth sharing as we approach the end of the season. Some very predictable, some surprising, hopefully it generates some discussion. Thought I'd focus on the non-top six sides as well as the outright top in the league for the sake of a comparison (and so I can get some Everton in there :ph34r:).

Team Stats

Shots on target per match - Man City (6.9) - Best outside top six: Leicester (4.8) (6th overall).

Accurate passes per match - Man City (624.4) - Best outside top six: Fulham (356.0) (7th overall).

Average possession - Man City (68.4%) - Best outside top six: Everton (51.3%) (7th overall).

Big chances created - Man City (97) - Best outside top six: Bournemouth (67) (joint 4th overall).

Goals conceded per match - Liverpool and Man City (0.6) - Best outside top six: Wolves (1.2) (5th overall).

Possession won in final third - Man City (182) - Best outside top six: Everton (179) (2nd overall).

Clean sheets - Liverpool (19) - Best outside top six: Everton (12) (joint 4th overall).

Goals per match - Man City (2.6) - Best outside top six: Everton, Bournemouth, Watford and Leicester (1.4) (joint 7th overall).

Penalties awarded - Man Utd (12) - Best outside top six: Crystal Palace (11) (2nd overall).

Saves per match - West Ham (3.9) - Best outside top six: West Ham (3.9) (1st overall).

Clearances per match - Newcastle (29.3) - Best outside top six: Newcastle (29.3) (1st overall).

Successful tackles per match - Crystal Palace (11.8) - Best outside top six: Crystal Palace (11.8) (1st overall).

Player Stats

Top Scorer - Aguero, Salah and Aubameyang (19) - Best outside top six: Vardy (16) (joint 7th overall).

Minutes per goal - Aguero (112) - Best outside top six: Loftus-Cheek (141) (joint 3rd overall).

Assists - Fraser, Eriksen and Hazard (12) - Best outside top six: Fraser (12) (joint 1st overall).

Shots on target per match - Salah (1.7) - Best outside top six: Mitrovic (1.4) (4th overall).

Successful dribbles per match - Hazard (3.6) - Best outside top six: Zaha (3.2) (2nd overall).

Key passes per match - Maddison (2.8) - Best outside top six: Maddison (2.8) (1st overall).

Chances created - Fraser (24) - Best outside top six: Fraser (24) (1st overall). *worth noting here that 2nd place is Hazard with just 15.

Accurate passes per match - Laporte (79) - Best outside top six: Hojbjerg (48.7) (24th overall).

Clean sheets - Alisson (19) - Best outside top six: Pickford (12) (4th overall).

Possession won in final third - Kanté and Salah (35) - Best outside top six: Redmond (33) (3rd overall).

Saves per match - Hart (4.1) - Best outside top six: Hart (4.1) (1st overall).

Clearances per match - Vestergaard (7.4) - Best outside top six: Vestergaard (7.4) (1st overall).

Successful tackles per match - Ndidi, Wan-Bissaka and Gueye (2.7) - Best outside top six: Ndidi, Wan-Bissaka and Gueye (2.7) (joint 1st overall).

Penalties awarded - Zaha (6) - Best outside top six: Zaha (6) (1st overall).

Something for nearly everyone to brag about there, enjoy...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hard to think we had Puel in charge for majority of this season when we had most shots on target per match outside top 6 and most goals per match outside top 6 xD 

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Ryan Frasers numbers are quite incredible. 

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fraser is the most creative midfielder in the league by the looks of it.

Seems to benefit a lot from when Wilson is playing. Formed a good partnership there and up to recently when Bournemouth hadn't turned to shit, his attacking play fitted in perfectly there. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Hard to think we had Puel in charge for majority of this season when we had most shots on target per match outside top 6 and most goals per match outside top 6 xD 

The shots on target thing is hugely misleading. Loads of them I'd imagine were from distance but blocked. The build up was slow, predictable and allowed teams to settle, therefore we accumulated a lot of shots that didn't really have much chance of going in. Burnley are excellent at doing it and deliberately allow a lot of weak efforts at their goal - that's why Pope and Heaton were always such high statistical performers.

The one you've really got to take some hope from is Vardy. Three goals off the top scorer in a season where I think he's spent a lot of it not at his best - arguably his own doing, arguably Puel's system's doing (but the fact he's scored as many goals post-Puel as he did under Puel this season kind of tells you what I'm thinking), once again looking like he'll be the top scorer outside of the top six. I think he's a good outside bet for the golden boot next year as nobody really took a grasp of it this year and Rodgers seems to hugely buy into him which is something I don't think Puel ever did.

I think it's clear Puel just wanted to lower the age of the squad but ultimately did too much too soon and someone like Vardy is a one in a million for us. He gives us an edge over out competitors as none of the others have a forward that is as feared. He may be 32 but he did start football relatively late and I still think he's got another two 20+ seasons in him myself.

• Subscriber

Also interesting is the absence of Sadio Mane compared to Salah when you take into account which one of them was nominated for the PFA Award. Stats aren't everything of course but did Salah miss out on a nomination due to the timing of his dip in form?

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Also interesting is the absence of Sadio Mane compared to Salah when you take into account which one of them was nominated for the PFA Award. Stats aren't everything of course but did Salah miss out on a nomination due to the timing of his dip in form?

Possibly, at the time Salah was in the middle of a dry spell whereas Mane was on the scoresheet most weeks. Why they can't do the vote at the end of the season I don't know. They discussed this on BT the other day

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yes.

I’ve been saying nominating Mane while not nominating Salah is weird - if Aguero and Sterling are nominated and Salah had the same number of goals and assists as Aguero (which is 2 goals more than Sterling, with 2 less assists) at the time of the nomination 

Archived