Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
SchalkeUK

FC Schalke 04 Thread - Komm' auch du zum S04!

My thoughts on Michael Reschke are simple - like all management in sport (I spent 15 years with a professional team and did what I am saying here) keep out of the team Manager's face!  Be there to assist and help - not to instruct or interfere.  If he is the right man he will succeed, if he is not he will fail but either way it should be down to him and not to the people upstairs who have their own job to do without trying to employ others and then do that as well. So much recent time in Munich and Stuttgart puts him at a disadvantage in knowing very little about the present squad and even less about the Academy which has produced brilliant youngsters in the past - and present - only to see them prosper elsewhere and still be playing better than our present squad members (Khan at Dusseldorf is a prime example).  David Wagner has proved he is to be trusted to be his own man - just let him get on with the job - Tedesco was allowed to live on a reputation for 2nd place in the BL which was given to him by other teams under-performing at the end of season 2017/18 - it was not earned or deserved and his inability to deal with senior players who did just what they wanted, and young players who were bullied and disrespected was reflected in the way the upper men let him tear the team to pieces.  His inability to talk to Leon, Max and Thilo or deal with Di Santo or Betaleb was terrible and David has to start and get the respect back again - partially by being drastic in sorting out the August 2019 squad.  Reschke has worked with some brilliant managers and knows when to be seen and heard and when not to be either - 04 now needs a period of stability and that may take more than just one season to achieve.  My normal Monday morning greetings in schools in the UK used to be 'Morning Sir, - drawn again eh?' I could live with that again for now! With 34 games drawn and 34 points in the table we would this year have been safe and 1 point better off. keeping the 8 we won and drawing the rest would have given us 50 and just above Tommy's lot in 10th. No one is even thinking that Fortuna have had anything other than a good season and deserved their position.  For me next season - anything there or there abouts would be nice!

• Upvote 1

Not sure paying 7 million for a player who was let go as being not good enough at the time is a brilliant idea.  I know he has had a good season with goals and assists but in a lower division against inferior opposition. Still, if the choice if David Wagner's then I am prepared to respect and trust his judgement and let him get on with the job!  Bernard is certainly a great improvement on Burgstaller - mind you anything would be an improvement on Burgstaller!

36 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Not sure paying 7 million for a player who was let go as being not good enough at the time is a brilliant idea.  I know he has had a good season with goals and assists but in a lower division against inferior opposition. Still, if the choice if David Wagner's then I am prepared to respect and trust his judgement and let him get on with the job!  Bernard is certainly a great improvement on Burgstaller - mind you anything would be an improvement on Burgstaller!

7 million? His buy-back clause was 2,5 million (and only because Paderborn got promoted; otherwise it would have been 1,5 million only). At any case, it seems Schalke want to sell or loan him out directly again, apparently a deal with Fortuna is on the cards already.

Good and bad news today!  David is bringing 04 to play against old friend Kloppy's Liverpool team in a friendly in August - My wife and I fly to Canada the day after - 7am check-in in Manchester.  Not sure if I will be allowed to sit in Anfield and then drive to The Airport for an overnight - how weird can it get?

Watching Leroy having a good game in Belarus at the moment - he's playing well with Gnabry and Kimmich - sign of things to come?

The old school is doing well again today - Neuer, Sane, Gundogan and now Draxler on - 4 out of 11 ain't bad - just like the World Cup Finals......

Hope Tommy and others in the Ruhr area keep their eyes open to se what is going to happen to young Fabien Reese.  His time on loan is up, but his contract at 04 is almost over and he is far better that some of the present so-called strikers as well as already having International pedigree.  Another young hopeful to be given away or - hope David is watching this - he needs to be quietly persuaded to re-sign.  News here of internal dealings is not always readily available and 04 is very quiet prior to departure to Mittersill and the start of David's contract!  Another question to be answered is why our ex-player and 04 favourite was allowed to leave Bayern without discussing a return to the Veltins?

Another name to keep and eye on - watch out for Matthew Hoppe - the forward line will  certainly improve if that happens!  Too soon to say the deal is done, but :P

“Liverpool and Schalke will work together on setting a rearranged date for the friendly in 2020.”

So much for the August friendly - Liverpool have been given their first PL game on Friday 9th so our proposed game is off - give David time to sort of the mess!