talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Spanish police arrest players for match-fixing

• Subscriber

1132590836_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.24287f5f58102115d6e51591f4877971.png

The Spanish league says several players have been arrested for suspected match-fixing in Spain.

The league says the arrests were carried out by the National Police on Tuesday and says it instigated the investigation by denouncing the suspected match-fixing.

The police say the operation is ongoing.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/spain/story/3863050/spanish-police-arrest-players-for-match-fixing

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Im curious who the players were and more curious what matches were actually fixed now.

The BBC reported this...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Police in Spain have made a number of arrests as part of an investigation into match-fixing.

Current and former players as well as club executives - reportedly from the country's top two divisions - have been detained.

"The police action follows complaints about possible match-fixing in a May 2018 match from La Liga to the Spanish authorities," said a La Liga spokesman.

La Liga has reported a further eight possible match-fixing cases to police.

"During the 2018/19 season La Liga has filed eight complaints with the general commissioner of the judicial police for alleged acts related to match-fixing in lower divisions of Spanish football and international friendlies played in Spain," said a La Liga statement.

"We have also sent alerts to the general directorate of gaming on 18 football matches for possible identification and sanction of players from lower divisions who could have bet on their competition."

The statement added: "We thank the police for the extraordinary work done to dismantle what appears to be an organised criminal group dedicated to obtaining economic benefits through the predetermination of football matches.

"This police operation demonstrates the effectiveness of integrity protection systems implemented by La Liga to protect the cleanliness of all competitions in Spanish football.

"La Liga continues to fight to eradicate any scourge against fair play in Spanish football."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48431483

Match fixing scandal rocks Spain - Valencia players implicated

A match-fixing scandal has hit Spanish football with Valencia’s final day win at Real Valladolid among the games under suspicion, say reports in Spain.

The Espejo Público programme on TV station Antena3, claims that authorities are monitoring the match which saw Los Che win by two goals and qualify for the Champions League.

Valladolid were already safe from relegation, having won at Rayo Vallecano the previous week, and it is claimed several of their players are under investigation.

The report claims that there is no suspicion that officials of either club were involved in any ‘fixing’ process, but that it would solely have been between the players.

The news comes on the same morning as 11 people were arrested for alleged match fixing in Spain including the president of Huesca, as cited by El Pais.

The other names include former Spain and Real Madrid player Raul Bravo and Borja Fernandez, who retired from football and ironically his final game was for Valladolid against Valencia.

Carlos Aranda, a Real Madrid youth product who played for several top flight clubs and Íñigo López Montaña, a player of Deportivo de La Coruña and formerly of Huesca were also among the detainees.

Agustín Lasaosa, president of the Huesca and Juan Carlos Galindo Lanuza, head of the medical services of the same club, were also brought in for questioning.

There is said to be focus by the police operation on three games spread across the top three divisions

• Subscriber

Anyone read Spanish? can't be bothered with the Google Translation, it's shite.  :coffee:

Clarín     DEPORTES

Fútbol español

Escándalo y futbolistas detenidos por el arreglo de partidos de Primera y Segunda División

Un ex jugador de Real Madrid y el presidente del Huesca fueron detenidos este martes en un amplio operativo de la Policía Nacional española.

La Policía Nacional española comenzó este martes operativos en una investigación por el presunto arreglo de partidos de fútbol de la Primera y Segunda División para obtener ganancias en apuestas deportivas en la que se prevén detenciones de varios futbolistas.

Fuentes policiales informaron a la agencia española EFE que los operativos comenzaron a primera hora del día y entre los detenidos figuran el ex jugador del Real Madrid Raúl Bravo, Borja Fernández, recién retirado luego de jugar las dos últimas temporada en el Real Valladolid, y Carlos Aranda, también ex futbolista de varios equipos de Primera División.

También fueron sido arrestados Agustín Lasaosa, presidente de la Sociedad Deportiva Huesca, y Juan Carlos Galindo Lanuza, jefe de los servicios médicos del mismo club, entre otros, apuntaron las fuentes.

Los operativos policiales se llevan a cabo en Madrid y las ciudades de Huesca, Valladolid, Málaga y La Coruña, indicó el diario madrileño El País.

Hay al menos 11 personas detenidas, entre ellas jugadores en actividad y retirados, a quienes se acusa de alcanzar acuerdos para arreglar partidos de la Primera, Segunda y Tercera división del fútbol español, señaló en base a fuentes vinculadas a la investigación del caso.

Noticia en desarrollo

Fuente: agencia EFE

https://www.clarin.com/deportes/futbol-internacional/escandalo-futbolistas-detenidos-arreglo-partidos-primera-segunda-division_0_YuFsRz234.html

Ah, I really hope this isn’t Spain’s “Calciopoli” moment, I love La Liga and would probably be quite put off by it if this was on a similar scale to Serie A’s scandal, which is a league I’ve always struggled to want to follow (still wouldn’t stop me from going there, though). 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Ah, I really hope this isn’t Spain’s “Calciopoli” moment, I love La Liga and would probably be quite put off by it if this was on a similar scale to Serie A’s scandal, which is a league I’ve always struggled to want to follow (still wouldn’t stop me from going there, though). 

This really. 

I was just getting into La Liga, and actually Valencia at that. 

But this doesn't appear to be as deep or profound as calicopoli was. It supposedly doesn't involve high ranking officials or anything. 

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Match bribes have always been accepted in Spain so it's not a complete shock that this has happened. 

I was going away with work this morning so had the radio on for a few hours, basically Raul Bravo (ex Real Madrid) is the suspected ring leader with a lad from Leeds (Spanish) and a lad from Getafe involved. Huesca's President has also been arrested along with someone from the Medical Department, Huesca's offices have also been raided. 

Didn't hear anything about Valencia unless this is new news to the story.

The Espejo Público programme on TV station Antena3, claims that authorities are monitoring the match which saw Los Che win by two goals and qualify for the Champions League.

Valladolid were already safe from relegation, having won at Rayo Vallecano the previous week, and it is claimed several of their players are under investigatio

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Does this mean Gary Neville was shit even with match fixing :ph34r:?

It means he's so shite, it might put him in contention as "worst manager ever" despite having only a brief stint as manager xD

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Eco said:

Valladolid were already safe from relegation, having won at Rayo Vallecano the previous week, and it is claimed several of their players are under investigatio

That makes it sound like Valladolid's players are/were under investigation, not Valencia's?

• Subscriber

Huesca v Gimnastic last year. I'm absolutely convinced that game was a fix. Huesca were top of the league, at home to Gimnastic sat around 19th in the league and were 7/2 to win the game. Gimnastic won 0-2.

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

That makes it sound like Valladolid's players are/were under investigation, not Valencia's?

From how I'm reading it - it sounds like the players agreed for Valencia to win since it meant nothing to Valladolid. 

Seven Real Valladolid players were ‘bought’ to deliberately lose their final match of the season against Valencia, report El Mundo.

In a match-fixing operation in Spain which has become known as Operation Oikos, the stunning revelations appeared in the press on Monday evening.

“There were seven players bought, nothing more,” is one of the reported phrases by the now retired footballer Carlos Aranda, who has been arrested, which has been intercepted by the police.

Another reported saying from Aranda during the conversations was: “Bet €10k and you will take €20k.” Allegations suggest Valladolid players were informed to lose each half.

“Look brother, Valencia wins the first half and the second, okay?” continue the conversation.

“Listen to me, they win the first half and the second, they win the game…look, you know what it is, nobody can find out. Nobody is nobody, nobody, no your friends, or anyone.”

Last week, the Espejo Público programme on TV station Antena3 initially claimed that authorities were monitoring Valencia’s final day 2-0 win at Real Valladolid which saw Los Che win by two goals and qualify for the Champions League.

Valladolid were already safe from relegation, having won at Rayo Vallecano the previous week, and it is claimed several of their players are under investigation.

The report claims that there is no suspicion that officials of either club were involved in any ‘fixing’ process, but that it would solely have been between the players.

This follows on from reports that also claims that this game is under investigation alongside Valencia’s 6-2 win at Huesca late in the season alongside a 2-1 win for Real Betis over Huesca.

Los Che led by five goals at half time at Huesca while Betis needed a last-minute winner against Huesca - coming courtesy of a spectacular long-range effort from captain Joaquin.

It is reported that suspicions have come from ‘irregular betting patterns’ in and around all three of the games.

The news comes on the same morning as 11 people were arrested for alleged match fixing in Spain including the president of Huesca, as cited by El Pais.

The one game which has been confirmed as being under investigation was Gimnastic’s late 1-0 win at Huesca in La Liga 123 late in the 2017/18 campaign, when Huesca had already sealed promotion.

The other names include former Spain and Real Madrid player Raul Bravo and Borja Fernandez, who retired from football and ironically his final game was for Valladolid against Valencia.

Aranda, a Real Madrid youth product who played for several top flight clubs and Íñigo López Montaña, a player of Deportivo de La Coruña and formerly of Huesca were also among the detainees.

Agustín Lasaosa, president of the Huesca and Juan Carlos Galindo Lanuza, head of the medical services of the same club, were also brought in for questioning.

There is said to be focus by the police operation on three games spread across the top three divisions.

Parejo: I put myself on the line for Valencia

Spain midfielder Dani Parejo had an excellent campaign with Valencia as he led them to a Champions League finish in LaLiga Santander, along with winning the Copa del Rey, yet their name has been uttered in Spanish football's match-fixing scandal.

Though it was Real Valladolid who reportedly had seven players paid, Valencia were none the wiser as they simply went about their business and won 2-0 at the Estadio Jose Zorrilla, though Parejo wanted to state that he has always acted in Los Che's interests.

"I put myself on the line for Valencia," said Parejo.

"The ones who violated, normally time will put them in their place."

Regarding Spain, they are set to face the Faroe Islands on an artificial pitch on Friday night and, like Robert Moreno, Parejo is refusing to let that be an excuse for not picking up all three points.

"We are not accustomed to it," he noted.

"It is a disadvantage due to the lack of practice [on these pitches], but it is not an excuse.

"It is not so long ago that I played on artificial grass, someone in the Copa [del Rey] with Valencia. I don't know if there's an artificial pitch at Las Rozas."

The 30-year-old's leadership qualities were evident throughout the season for Valencia and he believes that his hard work has got him to where he is today.

"Thanks to my work I'm here and it's an honour," said Parejo.

"I don't understand any other way of playing than how I understand and read the game.

"The national team has had great players in the last few years. Football puts everyone where they're meant to be.

"I'm 30 years old, I'm here and I have to enjoy it. Smart players know how to mould to all kinds of situations."

Archived