Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

    The better place to talk football.

Greatest team performance in a big game


football forum

Recommended Posts

In your life, what would you consider to be the best team performance is a big high pressure game? Am a United fan but have to admit, 2011 final, where Barcelona whopped us at Wembley was a near perfect performance. They had everything, passing, movement, pressing and energy for 90 minutes and injury time. To do that on a big pitch for 90s minutes was really special. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

In your life, what would you consider to be the best team performance is a big high pressure game? Am a United fan but have to admit, 2011 final, where Barcelona whopped us at Wembley was a near perfect performance. They had everything, passing, movement, pressing and energy for 90 minutes and injury time. To do that on a big pitch for 90s minutes was really special. 

 

You're ignoring the fact that your team was shithouse by comparison to a near perfect barca 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

 

You're ignoring the fact that your team was shithouse by comparison to a near perfect barca 

Wasn't the team of 2008 we had but that Barcelona team of 2011 was special, anyone at that time could be made to like shite by them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard with big games because so often as much as you can say one side showed an amazing performance, you can say the other side crumbled under the pressure.

Milan beating Barca 4-0 in the European Cup final - how good were Milan as opposed to Barca's ultra-attacking system just collapsing under the pressure of chasing the game?

Barca beating Madrid 5-0 - Barcelona were unbelievable but Madrid's lineup was slightly makeshift with some new signings and it was the first Clasico for Mourinho.

Germany 7-1 Brazil - Were Germany amazing or did Brazil just lose their heads completely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember thinking that Italy's semi final win over Germany in wc2006 was one of the most complete all round team performances I'd ever seen. Both teams played well... From that game alone I ascribed Italy as completely deserving winners of the world cup despite how unconvincing they were against Australia and Ukraine in the two preceding games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Inverted said:

It's hard with big games because so often as much as you can say one side showed an amazing performance, you can say the other side crumbled under the pressure.

Milan beating Barca 4-0 in the European Cup final - how good were Milan as opposed to Barca's ultra-attacking system just collapsing under the pressure of chasing the game?

Barca beating Madrid 5-0 - Barcelona were unbelievable but Madrid's lineup was slightly makeshift with some new signings and it was the first Clasico for Mourinho.

Germany 7-1 Brazil - Were Germany amazing or did Brazil just lose their heads completely?

I remember watching the Milan vs Barcelona game. Barcelona were favorites, I might be wrong but was Romario missing? I also remember Milan players in a documentary saying they were fired up because Barcelona were celebrating in the build-up to the game, as if the trophy was already won.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I remember watching the Milan vs Barcelona game. Barcelona were favorites, I might be wrong but was Romario missing? I also remember Milan players in a documentary saying they were fired up because Barcelona were celebrating in the build-up to the game, as if the trophy was already won.

No he played that game and they even did it with Baresi suspended. What a show by them that day. My favorite goal was from (Savicevic?) where he pressed the defender and then lobbed it in. Hard to think that Milan was such a force back in the day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

No he played that game and they even did it with Baresi suspended. What a show by them that day. My favorite goal was from (Savicevic?) where he pressed the defender and then lobbed it in. Hard to think that Milan was such a force back in the day. 

Sorry my bad, was long time ago. Was it Laudrup that was dropped? And Capello saying he was happy as he was the player he feared the most. I think Milan had more players out, including Van Basten, costacurta and that expensive player Lentini lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Sorry my bad, was long time ago. Was it Laudrup that was dropped? And Capello saying he was happy as he was the player he feared the most. I think Milan had more players out, including Van Basten, costacurta and that expensive player Lentini lol.

Realistically speaking, considering the rules at the time and I kind of like those rules of having three foreign players on, Cruyff had to make a tough decision. He had the attack system with Stoichkov and Romario and then Koeman in defense who was very good that year. I do feel like he could have actually done something when the second goal went in but he didn't and in the end Milan went on to win it. Look at their selection list and two of the three scored? I cant remember (Desailly and Savicevic). Lentini wasn't dropped really he was just on the bench. The two Milan defenders Costacurta and Baresi were out due to suspensions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 19/06/2019 at 09:22, MUFC said:

In your life, what would you consider to be the best team performance is a big high pressure game? Am a United fan but have to admit, 2011 final, where Barcelona whopped us at Wembley was a near perfect performance. They had everything, passing, movement, pressing and energy for 90 minutes and injury time. To do that on a big pitch for 90s minutes was really special. 

Was about to say the same. Virtually flawless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Sign up or subscribe to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...