talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

20 hours ago, nudge said:

Sauber have just officially announced the termination of the planned 2018 Honda deal, will announce new engine suppliers shortly. 

They'll get up-to-date Ferrari engines from 2018 onwards. Wouldn't surprise me to see Antonio Giovinazzi in one of their seats next season. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

They'll get up-to-date Ferrari engines from 2018 onwards. Wouldn't surprise me to see Antonio Giovinazzi in one of their seats next season. 

So I suppose McClaren could now hope for Mercedes deal and ditch Honda too, haha.

• Subscriber

That's a great deal for Sauber and sorely needed because they've struggled since Perez and Gutierrez left. 

Giovinazzi looks a terrible shout given that he crashed yet another Haas this morning in Practice. Charles Leclerc is the hot property for next year and is affiliated with Ferrari so it's much more likely he'll get a seat with Sauber now that Ferrari's other pals Haas have confirmed Grosjean and Magnussen for 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

So I suppose McClaren could now hope for Mercedes deal and ditch Honda too, haha.

Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes don't want to supply McLaren because they could be come a threat. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes don't want to supply McLaren because they could be come a threat. 

Makes sense, but I can't really see Ferrari being McLaren's engine supplier at any case, and if Mercedes were to, they wouldn't provide the same spec to McLaren either way. What are their other options? Sticking with Honda, hoping they'd solve their issues? Renault?

• Subscriber

I thought there were already rumours of McLaren getting Renault engines. Mercedes and Ferrari will never supply them so long as they have works teams so it's either Renault or another ambitious project from left field getting Porsche into F1 or something like that but they've been bitten once trying that with Honda. 

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Makes sense, but I can't really see Ferrari being McLaren's engine supplier at any case, and if Mercedes were to, they wouldn't provide the same spec to McLaren either way. What are their other options? Sticking with Honda, hoping they'd solve their issues? Renault?

As ridiculous as it sounds, but I wouldn't lose hope on Honda too quickly. I know they've had issues for a long time, but they have so much experience in this sport, they've got to overcome this eventually. But we'll see. 

• Subscriber

Looks like a Ferrari weekend going off Practice Three. Red Bull seemed competitive yesterday but appear to have drifted slightly. Big opportunity for Vettel then.

Massa is ill, took part in practice this morning but it now looks like Di Resta will be stepping in to replace him. Straight into qualifying with no practice, should be fun for him.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Looks like a Ferrari weekend going off Practice Three. Red Bull seemed competitive yesterday but appear to have drifted slightly. Big opportunity for Vettel then.

We'll see. Last two times Vettel had a competitive car Bottas was used succesfully to slow him down. Mercedes is still too strong on yellow tires.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Decent qualifying session. Hamilton could have a problem starting from the dirty side of the grid. Last thing he wants is to be stuck behind a Red Bull while Bottas and the Ferrari's clear off.

Good luck trying to make it through the first corner alongside another car when you're around Verstappen, who'd try to cut inside, even if he saw 3 cars aproaching a corner side by side.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Looked like it was Verstappen who pushed Ricciardo out...

locked up and don't think it was wholly intentional but it happened!

Given a 10 second penalty now after overtaking Hamilton!

• The topic was pinned