talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

4 hours ago, bozziovai said:

sorry man but it's hard not to compare the talent of yesteryears to today's.   

the mysterious aura of The UnderTaker.     The explosiveness of Goldberg ( WcW era ).   The spunk of shawn michaels and his matches against Brett Hart.

before, there's a thin line between acting and real brawl or real rivalry.   But today, you can clearly see it's all acting ( bad one at that ).    I stopped watching WWE wrestling when they tried to sexualize their program with Edge and Lita stripping/trying to fack themselves inside the ring.  that was the end for me.

The attitude era was great, but it was 20 years ago.  The product should have evolved since then.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The attitude era was great, but it was 20 years ago.  The product should have evolved since then.

The in ring product has definitely improved by a lot when the main event scene is concerned. The WCW midcard from the days of the Monday Night War was of a high standard but other than that, the wrestling was quite poor. Roman Reigns and John Cena for how limited they are, still put on better matches than the main eventers from the Monday Night War era. As far as the storylines go, they just don't feel the need to take any risks and are just doing what Vince did before the Monday Night War, which is to appeal to as much of a mainstream audience as possible which means things become stale but it's the only show in town so no one can really do anything. WWE didn't win the war because Vince was a genius, it's because he was forced to give the talent more control over their characters because he was desperate as WCW were kicking their ass. Just a shame TNA/Impact Wrestling has become next to irrelevant.

On 16/03/2018 at 03:19, 6666 said:

The in ring product has definitely improved by a lot when the main event scene is concerned. The WCW midcard from the days of the Monday Night War was of a high standard but other than that, the wrestling was quite poor. Roman Reigns and John Cena for how limited they are, still put on better matches than the main eventers from the Monday Night War era. As far as the storylines go, they just don't feel the need to take any risks and are just doing what Vince did before the Monday Night War, which is to appeal to as much of a mainstream audience as possible which means things become stale but it's the only show in town so no one can really do anything. WWE didn't win the war because Vince was a genius, it's because he was forced to give the talent more control over their characters because he was desperate as WCW were kicking their ass. Just a shame TNA/Impact Wrestling has become next to irrelevant.

I agree with all of that. Which goes back to my original point of how the constant references to how great the product once was is annoying. The talent is all there. Its just making guys like Goldberg, Triple H and Shane McMahon look great. I want to the talent that's around right now be given the opportunity to establish their own era in a way that's appreciated for decades.

On 20/03/2018 at 22:41, UNORTHODOX said:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/976172642972598273

Daniel Bryan medically cleared

I'm not as excited about this as I thought I would be, probably because he's just been paraded as an understudy to Shane for almost two years.

The possible feuds now though on Smackdown are endless.

• 2 weeks later...

Predictions:

Men's Battle Royal: Baron Corbin
Women's Battle Royal: Becky Lynch
Rhonda Rousey & Kurt Angle v. Stephanie McMahon & HHH
Daniel Bryan & Shane McMahon v. Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens
Cedric Alexander v. Mustafa Ali (Cruiserweight Title)
Cesaro & Sheamus v. Braun Strowman & ? (Raw Tag Titles)
The Usos v. New Day v. Bludgeon Brothers (SD Tag Titles)
The Miz v. Seth Rollins v. Finn Balor (IC Title)
Randy Orton v. Bobby Roode v. Jinder Mahal v. Rusev (US Title)
Alexa Bliss v. Nia Jax (Raw Women's Title)
Charlotte v. Asuka (SD Women's Title)
Brock Lesnar v. Roman Reigns (Universal Title)
AJ Styles v. Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE Title)

Not a whole lot interested in a lot of the matches. Bryan & Shane v. Zayn & Owens, the Cruiserweight Title match, the SD Tag Titles match and the WWE Title match are what I'm expected to be good (if given time). The Universal Title match might be okay and it'll be interesting to see what Rousey is like as so far her promos have been meh. The Undertaker will probably also show up and face off with Cena and they'll set up a match for next year but I've never been a big fan of either so I'm not really bothered by that either way. Just really hoping Styles/Nakamura delivers.

• Upvote 1

Predictions:

Men's Battle Royal: Matt Hardy
Women's Battle Royal: Sasha Banks
Rhonda Rousey & Kurt Angle v. Stephanie McMahon & HHH
Daniel Bryan & Shane McMahon v. Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens
Cedric Alexander v. Mustafa Ali (Cruiserweight Title)
Cesaro & Sheamus v. Braun Strowman & Rey Mysterio or Bobby Lashley (Raw Tag Titles)
The Usos v. New Day v. Bludgeon Brothers (SD Tag Titles)
The Miz v. Seth Rollins v. Finn Balor (IC Title)
Randy Orton v. Bobby Roode v. Jinder Mahal v. Rusev (US Title)
Alexa Bliss v. Nia Jax (Raw Women's Title)
Charlotte v. Asuka (SD Women's Title)
Brock Lesnar v. Roman Reigns (Universal Title)
AJ Styles v. Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE Title)

I'm looking forward to this a lot more than other years. Possibly my favourite Wrestle Mania since WM30. I just hope it delivers.

I watched the highlights, this must be the first time in we’ll over ten years but I found it overall entertaining. 

It looked to me like Ronda got the biggest pop of the night. For what it’s worth it was that or the Charlotte v Asuka match that was probably the best. 

Has Balor come out as gay or he hoping that pink pounds will get him over?

Also wanked twice to Stephanie  today. 

• Like 1

Rhonda was probably the best thing on the show and fair play to her, a lot thought it was going to be the opposite. Charlotte/Asuka was a good match as well. IC Title match was okay. Styles/Nakamura was okay as well but it under delivered on the extremely high level eveyone was expected (the post match angle was interesting though). Other than that, there wasn't much to talk about from a positive point of view in my opinion.

NXT as expected was awesome. The Bazler/Moon match had to happen to get Moon her overdue call up. They've done a great job at making people care more about Almas and Black over the last year (even if Adam Cole Baybay should be Champion). Also, ive never seen a ladder match where you would not have been annoyed which one of the six won because they all deserved it. The Roderick Strong heel turn was unexpected yet very well done and makes sense. Whilst the main event was the perfect choice to conclude whats been a very good storyline, I've always been a fan of Johnny Gargano but im still surprised at how over he now is with all the fans as a face. I expect Gargano, Ciampa, Sanity, Almas, Ember Moon, Peyton Royce and Billy Kay to get call ups in the next couple of weeks.

I watched the pre show for Wrestle Mania and i was happy with it. The Matt Hardy / Bray Wyatt was cool and interesting, the ending to the women's battle royal was good with a satisfying winner, and the Cruiserweight Tournament final was a good watch.

Looking forward to the rest.

Whilst five hours of that was a bit too much I thought the show went well. Rhonda and Daniel Bryan rightfully got there moments. I didn't see Charlotte, Brock or AJ winning, or the eventual heel turn. The Nia Jax storyline told a good story, and the Brawn Strowman match was a good way to break up the show a little. I can live with Harper and Rowan getting recognition too.

The only match I didn't really like was the United States title match. Really don't get what Rusev has to do to get over. It seemed like to me everybody lowered their standard to allow Jinder to compete.

I'd give it an 8/10. Mainly because it was too fucking long.

19 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Need to get back to watching if I’m honest. McMahon both won me over and broke my heart with wrestling over the last 30 years. First Mania have missed since 1992.

This is the first time I've enjoyed the build up since WM30 in all honesty. There's still the bullshit politics with Shane, Triple H, Brock and Roman but they're doing enough right with AJ, Nakamura, Strowman, the women etc to keep me interested.

On 12/04/2018 at 16:59, JOSHBRFC said:

A few shock results for me, I didn’t expect Brock to win!

Not sure how long this deal is. I imagine they're paying him a short time bomb to keep the Saudis sweet for their pay per view.

There's a rumour Vince lost it at Brock for how dangerous he was with Roman. Looking at some of the bumps it's lucky that Roman wasn't injured.

Superstar Shakeup for Raw was interesting.

For Jinder Mahal, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, The Fashion Police, Dolph Ziggler, Natalya and Mojo Rowley. I reckon the brand switch has happened at the correct time to help their current characters progress against different competition in a different environment.

For Baron Corbin, I think this is going to be rejuvenation he needs to get his career back in to a position he was expecting to be at.

For Drew McIntyre and Bobby Roode, I'm concerned they could get lost. Raw already has a lot of heavy hitters and muscular superstars. It makes me believe they would benefit more on Smackdown.

However, as for The Riott Squad, Zack Ryder, The Ascension, Chad Gable and Mike Kanellis. I genuinely don't see the point in them moving and believe they would be better staying on Smackdown.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Was that whole Iran thing was MacMahon's idea or was it the Saudi's ?

Seems like the most McMahon thing I can think of, one of the guys who took part in it has recieved death threats for impersonating an Iranian.

Edited by UNORTHODOX

1 minute ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Seems like the most McMahon thing I can think of, one of the guys who took part in it has recieved death threats for impersonating an Iranian.

Using a regional rivalry that is historicaly bitter and has resulted in death of millions of people and for marketing and entertainement is a criminal act. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Using a regional rivalry that is historicaly bitter and has resulted in death of millions of people and for marketing and entertainement is a criminal act. 

I believe the death threats actually from Iranians for making them look 'weak' which is ridiculous. It's only pro wrestling at the end of the day.