talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

On 12/07/2019 at 06:58, The Artful Dodger said:

Good to see they've put the final on Channel 4, now get the Ashes back.

Yeah good it is on free to view TV. New Zealand are an amazing sporting nation for their size. They are competitive in a lot of sports .

On 12/07/2019 at 03:44, IgnisExcubitor said:

I didn't wanted to get involved, but the stupidity of those posts is too much and the disgust towards India unnecessary. India bring in 70% of the revenue to this sport and is pretty much sustaining it on the global stage. (Hell today I learned that just last year BCCI paid 1500+ crore RS to our government, which helped finance other Olympic sports in our country). Without this money this sport will die a slow death. Most of the Indian players are not rank arseholes. 

India was the last national side to get on the T20 bandwagon. However, IPL has helped so many players come to fore. The likes of Warner, Butler, quite a few of  the Windies, and a truckload of Indian players. It has aided them financially, as well. Even English players have now publicly stated how it has improved their game. 

Importantly, I find this snobbery towards limited overs childish. It reminds me of my school days, where kids who discovered rock music would laugh at people listening to pop. Absolute immature behaviour. 

All formats of cricket can co-exist. 

Lastly,  we were not the number one favourites (England were for the right reasons) and no one apart from the English media and pundits have stated that the WC is theirs to lose. 

One can still continue to hate us, but dude let the reasons be valid. We are not spoiling the game. 

@topic

Tremendous performance this from England. Deserving of the final. Someone new will win the World Cup. England favourites by a mile, but I still hope it's the Kiwis. 

On 12/07/2019 at 02:09, Mel81x said:

Having experienced first-hand the way the  IPL started out I have to say that it was in response to what the ISL was doing and it was also done to generate some serious money as well which I suppose goes along with the destruction of any sport not just cricket. It did die down a bit somewhere towards its third iteration but then it picked up again and got really good. I wouldn't say it destroyed the game more-so moved it in a different direction that people were used to seeing.

T-20 is a far easier event to watch just because of its explosiveness and the way teams approach games. Does that have an effect on the other styles of cricket? Yes. Does that necessarily mean its destroyed the game itself? That's really up for interpretation. Having more facets to a sport could dilute the others based on its popularity but that doesn't meant an ODI or a test-cricket match is suddenly going to get worse does it? 

On 12/07/2019 at 01:11, Stan said:

I disagree with the destroying comment but each to their own. 

The reason is irrelevant. The BCCI and the ICC (run by BCCI, Cricket australia and ECB) are destroying cricket in favour of revenue.

• Upvote 1

Channel 4 has the same punditry as sky. I think maybe sky have let them show it. Probably not good PR to not let people see a world cup final 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Channel 4 has the same punditry as sky. I think maybe sky have let them show it. Probably not good PR to not let people see a world cup final 

Was always the plan for the final to be aired on free-to-air TV if England made it I think. 

Good luck to both. Think England will win it. If NZ get a decent total will be an interesting chase as England are used to winning by batting first... 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The reason is irrelevant. The BCCI and the ICC (run by BCCI, Cricket australia and ECB) are destroying cricket in favour of revenue.

Don't wanna start this again, so will keep this short. The debate wasn't just around boards. I have been one of the biggest critics of BCCI, and other boards. Hell, even Afghan's board have shown themselves to be jerks during the WC. The debate was around India, Indian fans preferring limited overs and T20(or rather IPL) spoiling the game.

@topic

England look pumped. Wishing for a Guptill special. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• Administrator

England's to lose, this. 

Some big wickets taken at key times. NZ wasted review costing them now as Taylor's wicket was missing the stumps. 

If England restrict NZ to 250 or less it's theirs. 

• Administrator

Great catch from Ferguson though. NZ fielding has been very good this tournament. As has England's to be fair. 

This is so similar to the semi final for NZ. India lost very early quick wickets I know but NZ bowling is so tight and the wickets taken at regular points, not letting batsmen get too set in. Now they're in a position where England's tail could be exposed unless Stokes and Buttler can do an innings like Dhoni and Jadeja and give them some more hope to save the match. 

England on the way to bottling it though. Can't underestimate NZ bowling! 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Will have to be a really good finish from England here to win this. I would say its New Zealand's to lose. 

Yep. Stokes and Buttler have stabilised the innings which was key before the started smacking the ball out the ground to chase the game. 

One wicket changes everything though!