talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

None. But I used to buy merch all the time and pay to watch. I hope you aren’t building up to a ‘gotcha’, I don’t need your validation on my worth as a fan of something. I also never went to a Broncos game despite living there for two years.

Building up to a what?

It’s much easier to walk away from a club when you don’t go to games. 

3 hours ago, N U F C said:

Building up to a what?

It’s much easier to walk away from a club when you don’t go to games. 

Is it? I went to Cubs games all the time. Don’t tell me how hard or easy something is when you can’t do it yourself. 
Support whoever you want IDGAF but this whole ‘it’s so hard to stop’ is absolute nonsense, just admit you don’t want to. ‘You don’t go to games’ doesn’t hold water at all, and is a weird flex.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Is it? I went to Cubs games all the time. Don’t tell me how hard or easy something is when you can’t do it yourself. 
Support whoever you want IDGAF but this whole ‘it’s so hard to stop’ is absolute nonsense, just admit you don’t want to. ‘You don’t go to games’ doesn’t hold water at all, and is a weird flex.

If you go home and away every weekend it’s a big part of your life and that is very difficult to stop.

You clearly have different things to do with your time. Some don’t and football is a big part of their life.

You have become very precious over the past few months.

40 minutes ago, N U F C said:

If you go home and away every weekend it’s a big part of your life and that is very difficult to stop.

You clearly have different things to do with your time. Some don’t and football is a big part of their life.

You have become very precious over the past few months.

You’re allowed to do whatever you like mate, no one has said otherwise. I just don’t buy the ‘it’s hard’ excuse, a lot of things in life are hard and I don’t think watching another team or giving up a hobby is one of them; I reckon slave labour in Saudi Arabia would be harder. A billion other things you could do and even more while you travel across the UK, I don’t think for a second your life is so empty that football is the one thing you have, but maybe it is, I don’t know you, and if it is that’s perfectly fine. If you want to stay on with Newcastle, then stay on, you don’t have to do anything that anyone says, if you literally said ‘I don’t give a toss about the owners or Saudi Arabia, I’m here for the footy’ that’d be cool, but you aren’t, you keep trying to throw it back at people ‘you wouldn’t give up your team!’

I don’t know what you mean by ‘precious’ but I’m not the one getting bent out of shape and making weird excuses because  people don’t like your owners. All in all mate, this isn’t personal, you’re allowed to follow Newcastle, I wouldn’t and I’ve proved in the past I have dropped teams.

I’m not attacking or criticising you mate, if that’s what you think.

Edited by Spike

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

You’re allowed to do whatever you like mate, no one has said otherwise. I just don’t buy the ‘it’s hard’ excuse, a lot of things in life are hard and I don’t think watching another team or giving up a hobby is one of them; I reckon slave labour in Saudi Arabia would be harder. A billion other things you could do and even more while you travel across the UK, I don’t think for a second your life is so empty that football is the one thing you have, but maybe it is, I don’t know you, and if it is that’s perfectly fine. If you want to stay on with Newcastle, then stay on, you don’t have to do anything that anyone says, if you literally said ‘I don’t give a toss about the owners or Saudi Arabia, I’m here for the footy’ that’d be cool, but you aren’t, you keep trying to throw it back at people ‘you wouldn’t give up your team!’

I don’t know what you mean by ‘precious’ but I’m not the one getting bent out of shape and making weird excuses because  people don’t like your owners. All in all mate, this isn’t personal, you’re allowed to follow Newcastle, I wouldn’t and I’ve proved in the past I have dropped teams.

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/global-slavery-index-2023

The report highlights the role played by G20 nations in fuelling forced labour within global supply chains, including state-imposed forced labour. The G20 accounts for over half of all people living in modern slavery and imports US$468 billion of at-risk products annually. The United States was by far the biggest importer of at-risk products (US$169.6 billion). Electronics remained the highest value at-risk product (US$243.6 billion), followed by garments (US$147.9 billion), palm oil (US$19.7 billion), solar panels (US$14.8 billion), and textiles (US$12.7 billion).

The report revealed six G20 nations are among the countries with the largest number of people in modern slavery, India (11 million), China (5.8 million), Russia (1.9 million), Indonesia (1.8 million), Türkiye (1.3 million) and the United States (1.1 million).

This does not include the report that the US is allowing child slavery from the southern border.   I would be more concerned about being owned by Americans. 

Well slavery's alive in US prisons and the US prison population's 1.2m so that list is probably not up to date.

But again... does the US government own any football teams? Cos the Saudi government has a public fund that owns Newcastle.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well slavery's alive in US prisons and the US prison population's 1.2m so that list is probably not up to date.

But again... does the US government own any football teams? Cos the Saudi government has a public fund that owns Newcastle.

Individuals that pay for certain results and benefits,  these wealthy owners of franchises, corporates have their fingers on the pulse of America.   Substance over form, it is the elite that control America not the electorate. 

9 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Individuals that pay for certain results and benefits,  these wealthy owners of franchises, corporates have their fingers on the pulse of America.   Substance over form, it is the elite that control America not the electorate. 

Tbf that elite also includes the Saudi government who have an enormous amount of sway over the US government.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf that elite also includes the Saudi government who have an enormous amount of sway over the US government.

The entire system is corrupt,  western systems by their fixation on accumulation of all wealth are rotten to the core. 

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I’m not attacking or criticising you mate, if that’s what you think.

I did say very early on that I obviously don’t agree with what Saudi do.

I actually don’t go to many games anymore due to work, family etc but I do think that it’s harder than you believe to walk away from a football club, especially your home club and one you’ve grown up around, but I also see your point too.

10 minutes ago, N U F C said:

I did say very early on that I obviously don’t agree with what Saudi do.

I actually don’t go to many games anymore due to work, family etc but I do think that it’s harder than you believe to walk away from a football club, especially your home club and one you’ve grown up around, but I also see your point too.

That's fair mate, again that's just how I am, if I feel something isn't being loyal to me or all the other fans; I can't be loyal back; but I also understand having a lot of attachment to something, it can be hard to let go. I generally care about people and it upsets me how a country like Saudi Arabia can treat its people so badly but then go play football manager in a foreign country. If it were my choice all clubs would be owned by the fans, as if that'd happen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Nothing to see here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66521621

Saudi Arabia will play two international friendlies at Newcastle United's St James' Park.

The Green Falcons will face Costa Rica on Friday, 8 September and South Korea on Tuesday, 12 September.

A Saudi Arabia-backed takeover of Newcastle was completed in October 2021, with 80% of the funds provided by the state's Public Investment Fund (PIF).

The friendlies will form part of the team's 2024 AFC Asian Cup preparations.

The Magpies' public-facing link with Saudi Arabia has been highlighted more prominently in recent months, with the club signing a shirt sponsorship deal worth £25m per year with state event company Sela, as well as revealing an away kit in a similar shade of green as the Saudi flag.

Newcastle and the Premier League insisted the club's owners are separate from the Saudi state when the deal was completed.

The PIF takeover has proven controversial since its completion because of Saudi Arabia's poor human rights record, and Amnesty International called for the deal to be re-examined by the Premier League earlier this year.

Sacha Deshmukh, chief executive of Amnesty International, criticised the decision to hold the international matches at St James' Park, calling it another example of "how sportswashing works".

He called on Newcastle manager Eddie Howe, co-owner Amanda Staveley and others at the club to "break their collective silence" on human rights issues in Saudi Arabia.

Despite Saudi Arabia defeating eventual winners Argentina in their opening match of the 2022 World Cup, they were knocked out in the group stage and manager Herve Renard left to take charge of the France Women's national team in March.

Former Manchester City and Italy boss Roberto Mancini has recently been linked with the vacant role.

Earlier this year the PIF took control of four Saudi Pro League clubs - Al-Ahli, Al-Hilal, Al-Ittihad and Al-Nassr - and merged its LIV Golf brand with the PGA Tour in a move which players said left them "shocked and angry".

It's embarrassing for the club and the city. 

Big test for Amnesty International though. If they can't disrupt this then they're not worth much more than a few lines to fuel the clickbait industry.

The Saudi's have priced in that we have nothing more than words.

33 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

It's embarrassing for the club and the city. 

Big test for Amnesty International though. If they can't disrupt this then they're not worth much more than a few lines to fuel the clickbait industry.

The Saudi's have priced in that we have nothing more than words.

the FA would have had to sanction this and they did.   The FA have a nice free ride in everything.

on the other hand the players would love the chance to play in England, given that they are "oppressed" and all that, they will be somewhat liberated.

wasn't the time to make a stand Qatar 22 mass boycotts and all that jazz yet every qualifying nation went, every pundit went and the people that went said it was a great world cup.

There has been approaches to Arsenal and Chelsea for players,  Tierney, Cucurella and Lewis Hall have been the three names mentioned.   The deals will be structured around Loans with obligations to buy as we don't have the financial flexibility to match the asking prices due to FFP limitations. 

Hall and Tierney are the only ones that interest me,  Cucurella carries to much damaged goods stigma and has just had a stinker of a pre-season. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Yeah good luck getting Lewis Hall. 

Admittedly last season we had issues working deals for Pulisic, Broja, Gallagher, Ziyech,  all players chelsea deemed surplus to requirements yet all talks got nowhere.   Arsenal are far more open to negotiations and more genuine in negotiations.   In the Abramovich era we had pretty good relations with chelsea,  under Boehly,  I think the bridges are burned.    

Chelsea will probably listen on Cucurella,  but we should stay well away from helping them with that player who is falling into the bracket of "one season wonder". 

Per reports,  discussions are advancing with Arsenal on Tierney. 

• 2 weeks later...