talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

football forum

200px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png

Newcastle United Football Club is an English professional association club based in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Following the club's most recent relegation from the top-flight during the 2015/16 season, Newcastle returned to the Football League's 2nd tier, the Championship, for the 2016/17 campaign. Newcastle United was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St. James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,354.The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, spending 85 seasons in the top tier as of May 2016, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893.

All discussion relating to Newcastle United that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here.

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Its what everyone who knew about it was thinking. Would you put a Spurs fan incharge of refing Chelsea games.

Doesn't matter if they have integrity. You just can't take the risk to find out.

5 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Its what everyone who knew about it was thinking. Would you put a Spurs fan incharge of refing Chelsea games.

Doesn't matter if they have integrity. You just can't take the risk to find out.

His comments aren't even that bad, and then look at Warnock's comments after the match. Unreal.

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Newcastle won something next season. Rafa is a born winner. 

Did he win anything at Napoli? I know he won The Europa League with Chelsea but other than that I'm struggling to think of major achievements since Liverpool. He was a fantastic Manager over a decade ago, but I wouldn't have him in an elite group any more. Plus Newcastle haven't been known historically to prioritise cup competitions.

I hope he does win something. It's quite crazy to think given their support I can't think of the last major trophy they won. He's done a great job galvanising the fans, the board and the players as one.

10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Did he win anything at Napoli? I know he won The Europa League with Chelsea but other than that I'm struggling to think of major achievements since Liverpool. He was a fantastic Manager over a decade ago, but I wouldn't have him in an elite group any more. Plus Newcastle haven't been known historically to prioritise cup competitions.

I hope he does win something. It's quite crazy to think given their support I can't think of the last major trophy they won. He's done a great job galvanising the fans, the board and the players as one.

He won the Italian Cup.

He's not in the elite group anymore, but I don't think anyone has suggested that he is

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He won the Italian Cup.

He's not in the elite group anymore, but I don't think anyone has suggested that he is

Maybe it's just my interopretation but to say someone is a born winner as a manager puts them in an elite group like you would with anybody else that are born winners.

10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Maybe it's just my interopretation but to say someone is a born winner as a manager puts them in an elite group like you would with anybody else that are born winners.

His track record speaks for itself in terms of winning things but at this moment he can't be considered in the elite group because he's had to take a step back due to how things ended at Napoli and Real Madrid.

On 11/05/2017 at 10:11 PM, LFCMike said:

His track record speaks for itself in terms of winning things but at this moment he can't be considered in the elite group because he's had to take a step back due to how things ended at Napoli and Real Madrid.

Id argue every club he has managed this decade have got worse by the time he left than when he took over. 

Atsu looks to have signed on a permanent deal.

Not sure what to make of that one, he blows hot and cold. Not convinced he can make it as a premier league regular but probably not a bad player to have in the squad. 

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Atsu struggled in the Premier League with Everton and Bournemouth so I'm skeptical about him pulling up any trees with Newcastle. 

He was however brilliant for Porto and won the Dutch Player of the Year award with Vitesse so there's a good player in there somewhere.

Agreed - he's had some poor reviews from Everton fans that I know too.

Like I say, I don't imagine him to be a regular by any stretch and I think we should be targeting another winger too.

10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Should be an indicator of how much money we've got. Both need to be upgraded if we have the money.

Agreed, I'd like to see them both go.

They've done a job for us over a couple of years but like you say it's time to upgrade.

• The title was changed to Newcastle United Discussion - Staveley Takeover Bid Submitted