• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Newcastle United Discussion

Recommended Posts

football forum

200px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png

Newcastle United Football Club is an English professional association club based in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Following the club's most recent relegation from the top-flight during the 2015/16 season, Newcastle returned to the Football League's 2nd tier, the Championship, for the 2016/17 campaign. Newcastle United was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St. James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,354.The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, spending 85 seasons in the top tier as of May 2016, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893.

*

All discussion relating to Newcastle United that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Its what everyone who knew about it was thinking. Would you put a Spurs fan incharge of refing Chelsea games.

Doesn't matter if they have integrity. You just can't take the risk to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always had a soft spot for clubs like Newcastle. Well supported, interesting part of the country, and a lot of history even if the silverware isn't there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Its what everyone who knew about it was thinking. Would you put a Spurs fan incharge of refing Chelsea games.

Doesn't matter if they have integrity. You just can't take the risk to find out.

His comments aren't even that bad, and then look at Warnock's comments after the match. Unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know what he's said that's wrong?

Warnock will probably be charged for his comments too, though they were absolutely hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That kills dead the dream that Heineken were going to pay to have brown ale put back on our shirts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Newcastle won something next season. Rafa is a born winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Newcastle won something next season. Rafa is a born winner. 

Did he win anything at Napoli? I know he won The Europa League with Chelsea but other than that I'm struggling to think of major achievements since Liverpool. He was a fantastic Manager over a decade ago, but I wouldn't have him in an elite group any more. Plus Newcastle haven't been known historically to prioritise cup competitions.

I hope he does win something. It's quite crazy to think given their support I can't think of the last major trophy they won. He's done a great job galvanising the fans, the board and the players as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Newcastle won something next season. Rafa is a born winner. 

I think you mean born waiter :ph34r:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Did he win anything at Napoli? I know he won The Europa League with Chelsea but other than that I'm struggling to think of major achievements since Liverpool. He was a fantastic Manager over a decade ago, but I wouldn't have him in an elite group any more. Plus Newcastle haven't been known historically to prioritise cup competitions.

I hope he does win something. It's quite crazy to think given their support I can't think of the last major trophy they won. He's done a great job galvanising the fans, the board and the players as one.

He won the Italian Cup.

He's not in the elite group anymore, but I don't think anyone has suggested that he is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He won the Italian Cup.

He's not in the elite group anymore, but I don't think anyone has suggested that he is

Maybe it's just my interopretation but to say someone is a born winner as a manager puts them in an elite group like you would with anybody else that are born winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Maybe it's just my interopretation but to say someone is a born winner as a manager puts them in an elite group like you would with anybody else that are born winners.

His track record speaks for itself in terms of winning things but at this moment he can't be considered in the elite group because he's had to take a step back due to how things ended at Napoli and Real Madrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Our new sponsor Fun with Two Fat Ladies are paying £45m for 3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2017 at 10:11 PM, LFCMike said:

His track record speaks for itself in terms of winning things but at this moment he can't be considered in the elite group because he's had to take a step back due to how things ended at Napoli and Real Madrid.

Id argue every club he has managed this decade have got worse by the time he left than when he took over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bloody French league players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French league, Algerian, called Ryad (close enough)? £8.5mil is a snip ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atsu looks to have signed on a permanent deal.

Not sure what to make of that one, he blows hot and cold. Not convinced he can make it as a premier league regular but probably not a bad player to have in the squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Atsu struggled in the Premier League with Everton and Bournemouth so I'm skeptical about him pulling up any trees with Newcastle. 

He was however brilliant for Porto and won the Dutch Player of the Year award with Vitesse so there's a good player in there somewhere.

Agreed - he's had some poor reviews from Everton fans that I know too.

Like I say, I don't imagine him to be a regular by any stretch and I think we should be targeting another winger too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good player to have on the bench.

Gouffran's contract is up so we will still need another winger and hopefully a first team one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect decisions on the future of Anita & Gouffran to be announced today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be an indicator of how much money we've got. Both need to be upgraded if we have the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Should be an indicator of how much money we've got. Both need to be upgraded if we have the money.

Agreed, I'd like to see them both go.

They've done a job for us over a couple of years but like you say it's time to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A former Newcastle coach has been charged with over 60 sexual offences against young boys between 1960 odd and 1998. 

Dirty Geordie bastard :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 years ago today Mike Ashley bought the club. 2 relegation and in Europe once.

Compared to the 10 years before him where we were frequently in Europe that is abysmal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

10 years ago today Mike Ashley bought the club. 2 relegation and in Europe once.

Compared to the 10 years before him where we were frequently in Europe that is abysmal.

But HOPEFULLY he's eventually got it right now.

It's taken 10 year, but better late than never. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now it's a bit like leading a race but being so paranoid you keep checking back over your shoulder waiting for it all to go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Still need another winger. We've only got 2 With GGouffrans contract being up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

He's a top bloke but didn't cut it in his natural position (holding midfield) in English football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement