• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester 0-4 Liverpool - Thursday 26th December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

How good was Naby Keita by the way? First half especially. Tired a bit on the second half but he was great. Hopefully he can keep himself fit

Basically ever since I made that post earlier in the season saying "I don't see what Keita does for us" he's turned it on and been fucking brilliant & now I can see exactly what he does for us. Hope he stays fit and it's pretty clear why we've spent so much on him.

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I think so too. I think he just wanted to defend Soyuncu - it's an unfortunate handball to concede and right as it's about to hit his hand you see him think "awwww fuck my fucking arm is here" and tries to pull it out of the way. The problem is prior to him noticing the ball is coming right at his arm, he's leaning into it with his arm and if the ball doesn't hit that arm... that ball's going to Virgil - so it's a tough one to concede, but you can see why it's given.

Although, I don't think Soyuncu needs defending here. Other than that one moment from him, he was pretty great when a lot of the Leicester back 4 weren't. Looks to be some player, tbh. Aside from generally being a good defender, that recovery pace he's got is really impressive. A few times it looked like Salah had him beat, only for him to be running right alongside Salah.

Also... I'm surprised Tielemans finished the match. In the first half, he looked completely out of energy. For the second half... he looked like a liability to Leicester tbh. He's normally a very good player, I think we saw a the toll of the fixture congestion with him today because he just looked well off the pace.

Soyuncu is quality. He can read the game very well and to come out of a 4-0 drubbing and still look fairly decent as a defender says a lot. The rest of them were pathetic.

Tielemans wasn't as bad as Maddison. Far too many under-performers across the board today though but I think that's more down to Rodgers' tactics and set-up.

We looked nervous as fuck right from the start and it's as if the lack of confidence just spread itself throughout the team at an alarming rate. Not only were we blown away by how good you were but we kind of shot ourselves in the foot right from the start having Vardy play up top by himself. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I think Kasper is getting fined for this interview. 

Not sure what he's on. We were never in the game and there's no need for a comment like that towards Oliver. Maybe it was borne out of frustration from how the evening turned out but to blame the ref is poor. Oliver did nothing wrong today.

Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade and just own up to being shite.

• The title was changed to Leicester 0-4 Liverpool - Thursday 26th December, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

I do think the penalty came at a pretty shit time, was the first time all game we'd actually done something meaningful and then we go and do that.

We've been shown up massively this past few games.

Just now, Stan said:

Soyuncu is quality. He can read the game very well and to come out of a 4-0 drubbing and still look fairly decent as a defender says a lot. The rest of them were pathetic.

Tielemans wasn't as bad as Maddison. Far too many under-performers across the board today though but I think that's more down to Rodgers' tactics and set-up.

We looked nervous as fuck right from the start and it's as if the lack of confidence just spread itself throughout the team at an alarming rate. Not only were we blown away by how good you were but we kind of shot ourselves in the foot right from the start having Vardy play up top by himself. 

I mean with Maddison out on the left... I just don't know what it really accomplishes tbh. I know he scored against us from out on the left at Anfield, but that was one of the few moments where I've seen him play from out wide and have something actually come off. But against us out on the left, I don't know if you can say he puts in the defensive shift to really help out with Trent's runs out on the right. And it really does seem to take him out of influencing your attack when he's not central. It's a bit mental.

But yeah, I think that's down to the tactics and set-up Rodgers likes for big matches. Although, I think he's making a grave mistake going into big matches with Maddison out on the left - it seems to take away from your strengths though. Tbh, I don't think much of how Tielemans and Maddison were shite today has anything to do with their quality as players... I thought Tielemans was just knackered, he looked dead on his feet before half time. Maddison on the left is something you & @Dan have said you don't like to see... and I totally agree with you both there, he's just not suited for that role. And with Tielemans looking totally knackered... personally, I think that's most likely down to Rodgers hating rotation.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Basically ever since I made that post earlier in the season saying "I don't see what Keita does for us" he's turned it on and been fucking brilliant & now I can see exactly what he does for us. Hope he stays fit and it's pretty clear why we've spent so much on him.

I think the spells he's had when he's kept himself fit he's looked good but then he gets injured and takes a little while to get back into form. He's clearly hugely talented though

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I do think the penalty came at a pretty shit time, was the first time all game we'd actually done something meaningful and then we go and do that.

Yeah agree. We'd changed it up a little and seemed to realise we could press Liverpool high and make them feel a bit nervous for a little bit of time then that happens. Had to be Milner as well who loves a penalty against us comes on literally seconds before xD

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean with Maddison out on the left... I just don't know what it really accomplishes tbh. I know he scored against us from out on the left at Anfield, but that was one of the few moments where I've seen him play from out wide and have something actually come off. But against us out on the left, I don't know if you can say he puts in the defensive shift to really help out with Trent's runs out on the right. And it really does seem to take him out of influencing your attack when he's not central. It's a bit mental.

But yeah, I think that's down to the tactics and set-up Rodgers likes for big matches. Although, I think he's making a grave mistake going into big matches with Maddison out on the left - it seems to take away from your strengths though. Tbh, I don't think much of how Tielemans and Maddison were shite today has anything to do with their quality as players... I thought Tielemans was just knackered, he looked dead on his feet before half time. Maddison on the left is something you & @Dan have said you don't like to see... and I totally agree with you both there, he's just not suited for that role. And with Tielemans looking totally knackered... personally, I think that's most likely down to Rodgers hating rotation.

Just stupid from Rodgers. It puts more pressure on Chilwell having to cover Salah AND TAA. Just ridiculous to have an attacking central midfielder and bung him out wide for no logical reasoning. 

Tielemans has looked leggy and tired for a while to be fair. I hate to say it but I wonder if it's because he has a new born but then so do other players?! Maybe just needs a bit of a rest over the next couple of games. He definitely won't play against Wigan that's for sure.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm sure by the time he scored at Anfield he'd moved back into the middle. He's a creator, a decent dribbler but not exactly full of pace, you'd only play him out on the left in a league without any real tempo. It's a massive luxury against someone like Liverpool, leaves Chilwell completely exposed. I can't blame Maddson, Rodgers got that wrong and he's done it a few times.

I think it's just a meek attempt at compensating for our lack of quality out wide. It's imperative we get somebody in in January because I think it's starting to hurt us now. We have only gotten away with it so far because of Vardy.

Tielemans needs a game or two out as well. He's been off the boil a good month now.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah agree. We'd changed it up a little and seemed to realise we could press Liverpool high and make them feel a bit nervous for a little bit of time then that happens. Had to be Milner as well who loves a penalty against us comes on literally seconds before xD

Just stupid from Rodgers. It puts more pressure on Chilwell having to cover Salah AND TAA. Just ridiculous to have an attacking central midfielder and bung him out wide for no logical reasoning. 

Tielemans has looked leggy and tired for a while to be fair. I hate to say it but I wonder if it's because he has a new born but then so do other players?! Maybe just needs a bit of a rest over the next couple of games. He definitely won't play against Wigan that's for sure.

Albrighton should've started. He's not without his flaws but he couldn't have been worse than Barnes was today or Perez was on Saturday.

We have serious problems on the wing. I've defended Barnes for a long time but I'm struggling at the minute. He looked so far out of his depth today it was embarrassing.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Albrighton should've started. He's not without his flaws but he couldn't have been worse than Barnes was today or Perez was on Saturday.

We have serious problems on the wing. I've defended Barnes for a long time but I'm struggling at the minute. He looked so far out of his depth today it was embarrassing.

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing but this was never a game for Barnes with how we were setting up from the start. 

We should have been more positive in our thinking and attitude and setup. Give Vardy support by playing Perez with him who can press them more and also provide support on the wing.

What royally pissed me off as well was 1) Kasper's distribution and overall performance and 2) our persistence in playing out from the back when they have THREE FUCKING MINT STRIKERS on the edge of our box waiting to press and harrass our defenders. Walked in to trouble so many fucking times. We could have been about 2 goals down within the first 5 minutes as well because of it. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing but this was never a game for Barnes with how we were setting up from the start. 

We should have been more positive in our thinking and attitude and setup. Give Vardy support by playing Perez with him who can press them more and also provide support on the wing.

What royally pissed me off as well was 1) Kasper's distribution and overall performance and 2) our persistence in playing out from the back when they have THREE FUCKING MINT STRIKERS on the edge of our box waiting to press and harrass our defenders. Walked in to trouble so many fucking times. We could have been about 2 goals down within the first 5 minutes as well because of it. 

Vardy totally isolated all game, for the second game running. This set up is showing some of its flaws lately and I think we need to have a rethink in games like this. Watford gave Liverpool a comfortably tougher game than that two weeks ago - yet I had absolutely no faith in us to do a thing tonight.

We're flat track bullies. Been excellent against most of the league but completely bottle the big games. That's the one area Puel has notably trumped Rodgers.

The problem as well is I feel like if we don't try and play out from the back we'll be equally useless. We'll just hoof it to Vardy, who invariably loses 50/50s (well, 66/33s) against two centre halves and the opposition come out with the ball.

Far too many passengers in that team. Nobody who could hold the ball.

I was genuinely stunned when he sent the team out for the second half without a single change. Like totally baffled. What could he have possibly seen in that first half that made him think "yeah you know what, lets just keep doing that". We were lucky it was only 0-1 at half time.

We really need a performance at West Ham. Really fear we're wobbling a bit. Luckily everyone else looks too shit to pounce. Was watching the goals show earlier and it really is alarming how bad most sides in the league are.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Best thing is I can still see potential for improvement, of the type that will simply come from more game time and better understanding with the players he links with... 

39 minutes ago, Dan said:

That penalty is one of those moments in a game where you wonder if it hadn't been given would we still have scored the next two...?

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Harry said:

That penalty is one of those moments in a game where you wonder if it hadn't been given would we still have scored the next two...?

I agree and think it killed us, but to be honest we were lucky to only be 0-1 down by that point anyway.

I'm horrified with what we've just served up.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also, can Liverpool fans please now accept they're gonna win the league now ffs xD

Thirteen point lead with a game in hand! 

No, it's a 14 point lead with no game in hand (to city). Still too close.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

No, it's a 14 point lead with no game in hand (to city). Still too close.

Oh so do we not exist xD

Anyway, Man City play tomorrow. So you do have a game in hand from when you didn't play West Ham last weekend. 

You're having a laugh if you think that's still too close. Not having that at all and not having it that you're not winning the league. 

No side comes close to Liverpool this season and no side is turning around a 13-point (minimum) deficit. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Oh so do we not exist xD

Anyway, Man City play tomorrow. So you do have a game in hand from when you didn't play West Ham last weekend. 

You're having a laugh if you think that's still too close. Not having that at all and not having it that you're not winning the league. 

No side comes close to Liverpool this season and no side is turning around a 13-point (minimum) deficit. 

Of course you exist but city will win tomorrow and go into second with an 11 point gap to us. 

• Subscriber

Yeah to be honest Stan, Man City are way better than us, I think we've been shown up big time this last couple of games (and a few before that too actually). Still fancy us for top 4 though. There's so much dross in the league I expect us to sort ourselves out and get enough points on the board to do it.

Fail to add a quality winger however and we may be in trouble.

I weirdly think Wolves are a dark horse for the top 4. I rate them as a team.

Archived