talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They Ricketts-Griffin bid is expected to make an official announcement today. It is expected they announce stadium redevelopment plans and meeting the 3bill asking price.

The consortium involving Ken Griffin and the Ricketts Family to purchase Chelsea is not in partnership with Griffin's hedge fund company, Citadel, it has been revealed.

It has previously been reported that the Ricketts Family will join hedge fund billionaire Griffin to mount a 'blockbuster' bid for Chelsea.

And now it has been revealed, via Matt Law, that the hedge fund owner's partnership is with him and not Citadel.

A spokesperson for Griffin confirmed he has joined the Ricketts family to make a bid for Chelsea 

This comes after the Ricketts Family released a statement, outlining their interest.

The statement writes: "The Ricketts Family, owners of the Chicago Cubs, can confirm they will be leading an investment group that will make a formal bid for Chelsea Football Club this Friday.

"As long-time operators of an iconic professional sports team, the Ricketts Family & partners understand the importance of investing for success on the pitch while respecting the traditions of the club, the fans & the community.

"We look forward to sharing further details of our plans in due course."

Griffin's reported net worth is 27.2 billion USD, providing a huge amount of financial backing for the consortium.

Previous reports stated that the Ricketts family were considering joining investors to launch a bid, and now this is set to be tabeled on Friday - the deadline day.

The Raine Group, the bank trusted with the task to sell Chelsea, have a working relationship with the Ricketts family and knowledge of 'small circle investors' with the money to make a deal happen.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

he and all Russia players must give statements or they will be banned from Wimbledon

I've had a quick read into this, and the words "must" and "will" are a problem, because all I can see is that it's been rumoured, and it's not off the table, but that the Mirror and Express are running with it. It isn't a done deal, they may yet discuss it and decide against it.

Again, I don't actually disagree with you. They probably shouldn't be made to express an opinion. I would ask them to stay away if they'd come out in support or Putin, and I'd make sure they played under a 'neutral' flag instead of a Russian one even if they condemn him publicly.

Still, I can't really bring myself to get properly mad about a handful of professional tennis players not being able to compete at Wimbledon for (what's hopefully only) one year, especially when it's only hypothetical at this point too. It goes back to my original point that I think this is a valid discussion to have, but as soon as I start thinking about whether that's unfair on those tennis players, all I can then think as a follow-up is to look at the big picture and consider how unfair the war is on all of the ordinary Ukrainians having their homes destroyed and all of the ordinary Russian foot soldiers being sent to their deaths. I just really can't get that angry about a few sportspeople being unable to compete in a few competitions in the grand scheme of things, so it confuses me to see others who seem to be more visibly angry about that than they are about the war itself.

Edited by RandoEFC
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'd make sure they played under a 'neutral' flag instead of a Russian one even if they condemn him publicly.

I've never understood the point in this - I think them doing this in the Olympics is just really weird actually. Why should athletes have to shun their national identity for competing just because they're from a country with a shit government?

I can understand blocking people from playing who come out in support of Ukraine or say they support the war, but the whole "neutral flag" thing to me is just weird and tbh a bit stupid.

But again, I think there's a far cry between a Russian athlete and a Russian oligarch that's got his fingers all over the history of Putin's time as leader of Russia since the very beginning.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never understood the point in this - I think them doing this in the Olympics is just really weird actually. Why should athletes have to shun their national identity for competing just because they're from a country with a shit government?

I can understand blocking people from playing who come out in support of Ukraine or say they support the war, but the whole "neutral flag" thing to me is just weird and tbh a bit stupid.

But again, I think there's a far cry between a Russian athlete and a Russian oligarch that's got his fingers all over the history of Putin's time as leader of Russia since the very beginning.

I think when athletes who are the best in the world and then wave their national flag around, it incites a sort of national pride if you're from that country, "I'm really proud to be Russian, we've produced the best person in the world for this sport". It's a bit daft but it probably makes you feel less inclined to be against what your country is doing by default if you're able to associate the national flag with great sporting achievements rather than just bombs and invasions.

18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think when athletes who are the best in the world and then wave their national flag around, it incites a sort of national pride if you're from that country, "I'm really proud to be Russian, we've produced the best person in the world for this sport". It's a bit daft but it probably makes you feel less inclined to be against what your country is doing by default if you're able to associate the national flag with great sporting achievements rather than just bombs and invasions.

I don't think Russians shouldn't be proud of being Russian - I think it's fine if they're proud of being Russian tbh, I actually feel quite bad for these athletes made to play under a "neutral" flag (although with ROC we know it's the Russian Olympic Committee... so still Russia, so it seems a bit pointless to me). They live in an autocracy, they're not like the billionaire oligarchs that can actually have a say in how the country is governed tbh. Sure Russia might like to use them as a propaganda prop but at the end of the day these are just athletes who want to represent their country - like athletes all around the world do.

I can see what you're saying on the last bit, but imagine if that standard was applied to the UK and US because of Iraq. And unlike Russia, our elections aren't a complete sham where someone wins with a "definitely not suspicious" 90+% of the vote... we voted for the dickheads who lied to the world and invaded a country... we're arguably more culpable as citizens of western countries for the foreign policy decisions made by our leaders.

I don't even think it's right that so many Muslim nations refuse to play Israel, even if their governments don't recognise that Israel as a country exists. I disagree with the idea that football (or any sport tbh) isn't political - clubs represent communities and often the politics of those communities are represented in their club... but on a national level international tournaments promote a different kind of political message: unity and world peace, even between countries where the governments absolutely hate each other athletes can take to the pitch and compete.

With the olympics I can sort of understand it, because of that state sponsored doping scandal and Russia the state being directly behind cheating in the olympics... but even then, I am not so sure banning Russians from competing under the Russian flag makes too much sense. If anything that state sponsored doping program should have led to greater reforms/innovations in doping tests & if an athlete tests positive, they probably shouldn't be given the opportunity to compete (like that ROC figure skater that was allowed to compete).

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Are some of you more upset with the reaction to Putin's war (tennis players having to disagree with mass murder and Chelsea fans not being able to buy tickets to football matches for a while) than what Putin himself is actually doing (killing thousands of people

I think someone would have to be out of their mind to compare the loss of a few games worth of tickets to what Putin has done... 

I do have more to say but not now, There is a game to watch.. 

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Are some of you more upset with the reaction to Putin's war (tennis players having to disagree with mass murder and Chelsea fans not being able to buy tickets to football matches for a while) than what Putin himself is actually doing (killing thousands of people, mostly those from his own military that he's sending to their deaths to do his bidding)? I'm giving you a chance to say no because that's a pretty horrible conclusion to come to, but for some people, that's where all the evidence points.

Ukrainians potential being killed is obviously worse but that doesn't mean you have to be okay with Russian athletes being punished for being Russian. Some may mention that more but that's because there isn't really a need for a discussion to know this war is brutal and shouldn't be happening.

Do you think because war is worse that xenophobia against Russians is not only fine but should be encouraged? I'm giving you a chance to say no because that's a pretty horrible conclusion to come to, but for some people, that's where all the evidence points.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Ukrainians potential being killed is obviously worse but that doesn't mean you have to be okay with Russian athletes being punished for being Russian. Some may mention that more but that's because there isn't really a need for a discussion to know this war is brutal and shouldn't be happening.

Do you think because war is worse that xenophobia against Russians is not only fine but should be encouraged? I'm giving you a chance to say no because that's a pretty horrible conclusion to come to, but for some people, that's where all the evidence points.

I wasn't referring to you, so apologies if you took it that way, I'll hold my hands up there as I opened the door for you to think that I was. I don't think I need to respond to that retort though.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Johnson delivers Saudi Arabia approval as Saudi Media attempt to buy Chelsea... 

Boris Johnson delivers Saudi Arabia 'approval' as Saudi Media attempt Chelsea takeover (msn.com)

The headline is a bit misleading. I thought he was only out there to discuss a new supply line to buy the oil from them instead of Russia. I'm not sure it has much impact on the Chelsea situation...

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The headline is a bit misleading. I thought he was only out there to discuss a new supply line to buy the oil from them instead of Russia. I'm not sure it has much impact on the Chelsea situation...

I think we can all take out of it what we want but anyone that knows our government and in particular Johnson also knows he is not shy of doing the odd 'favour' here and there for anyone that could further any cause he has, just like they did when the Russians were flavour of the month.. 

So we have two Tier 1 journalists reporting conflicting things. 

Nizaar Kinsella talking about the Saudi group and that they will have the largest bid. 

Matt Law talking about the Boehly-Wyss Consortium being the only serious option, and not having any idea about the Saudi Group. 

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So we have two Tier 1 journalists reporting conflicting things. 

Nizaar Kinsella talking about the Saudi group and that they will have the largest bid. 

Matt Law talking about the Boehly-Wyss Consortium being the only serious option, and not having any idea about the Saudi Group. 

Got to be all done and dusted by tomorrow hasn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Final bids. Then the knockout stages begin. 

I mean, I hope it gets sorted. Nobody wants to see a club go under.

Would just be nice if everyone was on an even keel and not financially blowing everyone out the water.

NewSaudi Media's bid is currently being finalised and will be sent to Raine Group before the deadline. They have good active dialogue and have faced no issues in the process and have been encouraged to proceed. Details of what the bid is: Inside Saudi Media's Chelsea takeover bid: Renew Rudiger's contract and rebuild Stamford Bridge | Goal.com #CFC

— Nizaar Kinsella (@NizaarKinsella) March 18, 2022

Todd Boehly has told Raine that he could complete a takeover of Chelsea in time for the next Premier League game against Brentford as his rivals scramble to get their bids in before tonight's 9pm deadline.
- Matt Law

Recent bidder updates.... 

Global investment firm Centricus is funding another British bid to buy Chelsea, saying it wants to "maintain and support existing management".

The Premier League club was put up for sale by Russian owner Roman Abramovich before he was sanctioned following his country's invasion of Ukraine.

This latest bid, backed by Centricus - which has £29bn in assets - features several Chelsea season-ticket holders.

Chelsea: Centricus bid to buy club intends to 'maintain existing management' - BBC Sport

15 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

@Bluewolfabsolutely desperate for another sugar daddy xD

In all seriousness we have no idea who could buy it... don't really care about the money side of it as long as whoever comes in is invested in the club for the long term so if we have to take a couple of steps back and reorganise a bit then so be it, It won't be the doom and gloom everyone will expect, Newcastle can take over the mantle for the next 20 years as the bumpkin billionaires..