talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Found it:

Chelsea returning players to London :

Marc Guehi, Trevoh Chalobah, Dujon Sterling, Conor Gallagher, Lewis Baker, Lucas Piazon, Izzy Brown and Ike Ugbo

With Maatsen and Gilmour staying for the weekend and then returning.

Current team:

GOALKEEPERS: Arrizabalaga, Caballero, Cumming

DEFENDERS: Alonso, Ampadu, Azpilicueta, Christensen, David Luiz, Emerson, Maatsen, Tomori, Zappacosta, Zouma

MIDFIELDERS: Bakayoko, Barkley, Drinkwater, Gilmour, Jorginho, Kanté, Kovačić, Mount

FORWARDS: Abraham, Batshuayi, Giroud, Kenedy, Palmer, Pedro

With Willian injured, Kasey Palmer will travel with the team to Japan.

Edited by True Blue

Advanced issues found

On 10/07/2019 at 23:46, Cicero said:

90% of the players won’t ever be used. The likes of Piazon, Baker, and Brown need to leave. They aren’t kids anymore. 

Man that was a tough watch. A chance to make a name for yourself in front of Lamps and the majority didn’t look bothered. Just hope Lampard isn’t a ‘nice guy’. 

Without saying how one of my best mates knows Jody Morris well on a personal level and he doesn't take any shit apparently. He's not afraid to make a decision and when he's crossed the person capable will definitely know about it.

Lampard might come across very nice but in fairness, we don't know really what he's like day to day. 

Anyway, it still doesn't feel real that Lampard is the manager of Chelsea Football Club. As well as some other familiar faces from the past taking up big roles. 

10 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I know a derby fan and hes not arsed one bit that Lampard's gone. Reckons hes too defensive?

Cant say I ever took enough notice really. 

I would sincerely question your mate's rational if he thought Lampard's Derby was a far too defensive team. 

Anyway, Lampard might be taking Gilmour to preseason in Japan after his showings in Ireland. Gilmour will either turn into something special or be another Colkett, Baker, and McEachran. 

51 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I would sincerely question your mate's rational if he thought Lampard's Derby was a far too defensive team. 

As I said, I cant really comment because I didn't take that much notice but I'm not going to question a Derby season ticket holder who watched them live virtually every game that Lampard was in charge. 

28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

As I said, I cant really comment because I didn't take that much notice but I'm not going to question a Derby season ticket holder who watched them live virtually every game that Lampard was in charge. 

So was Term-X yet he was an absolute buffoon. Again, I would sincerely question your mate's rational if he though Lampard's Derby was a defensive team. They were known in the championship for their high pressing, energy, and quick transition.  Lampard took one of the youngest teams in the league to a play off final, and was a GK error away from being promoted to the premier league. 

Maybe your mate was referencing Gary Rowett who was manager prior, (even more defensive than Tony Pulis) as for the life of me I cannot fathom such a comment be made after Lampard's appointment. Literally night and day difference in tactical styles. 

Edited by Cicero

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So was Term-X yet he was an absolute buffoon. Again, I would sincerely question your mate's rational if he though Lampard's Derby was a defensive team. They were known in the championship for their high pressing, energy, and quick transition.  Lampard took one of the youngest teams in the league to a play off final, and was a GK error away from being promoted to the premier league. 

Maybe your mate was referencing Gary Rowett who was manager prior, (even more defensive than Tony Pulis) as for the life of me I cannot fathom such a comment be made after Lampard's appointment. Literally night and day difference in tactical styles. 

You can press high with energy and be quick in transition whilst still being tactically defensive mate xD

Anyway, I'm really not that arsed. I am however intrigued to see how Lampard fairs with a top Premier League team. 

Maybe he needs to be tactically defensive with Chelsea to reach any sort of success? All out attack with this Chelsea side could be the wrong way to go about things? Who knows, we'll have to wait and see. 

Liked the first half with a diamond 4-4-2 looked refreshing and it seemed like we always had a target up top with Tammy and Bats. In the second the 4-3-3 gave us the same problems we had for ages. No one in the box, but a good run for a pre season game. It is much clearer that many of these won't be here starting the season.

I was always one of those who supported Baka coming back but he was God awful in our last game, made Gilmour look twice the player. Don't think Lampard should give him a spot over let's say Mount or any talented midfielder.

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

One way of spinning it. The other is he took a team that finished 6th and finished 6th again, despite all manner of favours and loans from his contacts. They were outclassed in the play-off final and did not deserve to go up.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

One way of spinning it. The other is he took a team that finished 6th and finished 6th again, despite all manner of favours and loans from his contacts. They were outclassed in the play-off final and did not deserve to go up.

Didn’t watch a lot of Derby myself but from less bias accounts this seems to be the more frequent one.

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

4-4-2 diamond will only work well with fullbacks willing to get up and down the pitch. 

If you dont have the personnel to implement a formation then you simply dont implement that specific formation. 

A good manager, when first taking over a club, picks a formation that suits the players. Not the other way round. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If you dont have the personnel to implement a formation then you simply dont implement that specific formation. 

A good manager, when first taking over a club, picks a formation that suits the players. Not the other way round. 

I’d rather a manager stick with his guns vs giving in to the players. But to each their own. 

Lampard has played a different formation in each half the past two friendlies. 4-4-2 diamond has looked the best but our fullbacks have a lot of work cut out for them against top opposition. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’d rather a manager stick with his guns vs giving in to the players. But to each their own. 

What a bizarre way of looking at it? 

I didn't mean a manager just taking over at a new club should GIVE IN to his players (cant believe I'm having to explain this tbh), I meant that he should be flexible enough to implement a formation that suits the players hes got, rather than just stick to his guns!

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

What a bizarre way of looking at it? 

I didn't mean a manager just taking over at a new club should GIVE IN to his players (cant believe I'm having to explain this tbh), I meant that he should be flexible enough to implement a formation that suits the players hes got, rather than just stick to his guns!

I don’t think a manager should abandon his philosophy to tailor to the players at his disposal, being it a formation or overall playing style. I’d rather a manager stick with something vs give in to players and their limitations, So long as I see what the manager wants and what he is trying to do. 

9 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not really the point of my argument. 

Edited by Cicero

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don’t think a manager should abandon his philosophy to tailor to the players at his disposal, being it a formation or overall playing style. I’d rather a manager stick with something vs give in to players and their limitations, So long as I see what the manager wants and what he is trying to do

Ok, so if a manager is failing miserably because his players, that hes only just met, just dont suit the new managers system, and therefore are in really poor form..   you think he should just carry on with that one singular philosophy?

Very restricted viewpoint but fair enough.