talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

878476423_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.466ac21ef4ea0804769f8684689b7111.png

Frank Lampard: Chelsea has given permission to hold talks with Derby manager

Chelsea have been given permission to speak to Derby County boss Frank Lampard about their vacant manager's job.

Lampard spent 13 years as a Chelsea player and would replace Maurizio Sarri, who has joined Juventus.

"With pre-season fast approaching for both clubs it is hoped this will allow Chelsea to swiftly conclude their discussions," said a Derby statement.

"The club will make no further comment until it is appropriate to do so."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48755457

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling corrections

32 minutes ago, True Blue said:

That deffo, i'd rather have Morris continue as assistant. Proved to be excellent with our academy. 

Juan Castillo looks to make a U-turn and sign a new contract with us given the rumors he will be working with Morris again. James, CHO, Ruben, Mount, and McEachran (not his shit older brother) looking to get new contracts as well. 

Edited by Cicero

On 25/06/2019 at 03:51, carefreeluke said:

If the owner and board assure Lampard and Morris that they are going to be here for 2-3 years no matter what happens and that they have heavy instruction from above to utilise the youth players, I would be over the moon. Of course, if there's no sign of progress in those years or good evidence starts to emerge that Lampard isn't the right fit, then that's life and we can look elsewhere. The key in this appointment is the content of the talks he's had or having with the club beforehand.

Would you want that assurance if Lampard has you battling relegation in this first season?

I think Chelsea are in a lose-lose situation here, with a small chance of stumbling across something great (lose-lose-win). They're not in a position to get managers with the pedigree they're used to/that they'd want. Giving Lampard a shot is a big risk as he's only had one year experience at a level way below what you'd expect a Chelsea manager to have. I also understand why they'd turn to him given the circumstances they're in right now... but given how they operate and how the board has limited patience, they're running the risk of utterly humiliating one of the biggest legends Chelsea has a club.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Would you want that assurance if Lampard has you battling relegation in this first season?

I think Chelsea are in a lose-lose situation here, with a small chance of stumbling across something great (lose-lose-win). They're not in a position to get managers with the pedigree they're used to/that they'd want. Giving Lampard a shot is a big risk as he's only had one year experience at a level way below what you'd expect a Chelsea manager to have. I also understand why they'd turn to him given the circumstances they're in right now... but given how they operate and how the board has limited patience, they're running the risk of utterly humiliating one of the biggest legends Chelsea has a club.

We have enough quality to find ourselves no where near relegation, and I'm fairly certain Lampard wouldn't even entertain the job without reassurances from the board. He should know more than anyone the managerial merry go round. 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber

Whatever happens, I hope Lampard does well. Always had time for him when he was in that England side at a time where Terry, Ashley Cole and others weren't exactly covering themselves in glory off the pitch, he always seemed to keep himself grounded and sensible.

16 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We have enough quality to find ourselves no where near relegation, and I'm fairly certain Lampard wouldn't even entertain the job without reassurances from the board. He should know more than anyone the managerial merry go round. 

I thought the same before Hodgson had us staring it in the face. I also don't think anyone predicted what would happen to Leeds or Forest. Sometimes it just takes a bit of managerial incompetence and a shit attitude from the players.

Having said that, I think for the first time in a long time we'll see the vast majority of Chelsea fans back the manager over the players.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On 25/06/2019 at 11:51, carefreeluke said:

If the owner and board assure Lampard and Morris that they are going to be here for 2-3 years no matter what happens and that they have heavy instruction from above to utilise the youth players, I would be over the moon. Of course, if there's no sign of progress in those years or good evidence starts to emerge that Lampard isn't the right fit, then that's life and we can look elsewhere. The key in this appointment is the content of the talks he's had or having with the club beforehand.

If things didn't look like they were progressing after the first season or even during the 2nd obviously the decision would have to be made.

The main problem in all of this is the owner and board affording managers the right time. We don't know what guarantees and assurances Lampard will be made. Me and most Chelsea fans would be happy to just see some of our youth players feature heavily but playing youth and winning trophies does not have to be exclusive from the other. Above all the main objective would just be to see the team progressing. Irrespective of Sarri's league finish and Europa League win, l thought we had made progress as a team, tactically, mentally and we were in a better shape compared to earlier in the season. If Sarri hadn't finished 3rd and/or didn't win that trophy, it's likely there would have been many calling for his head. I for one would have been happy to see Sarri continue even if say we finished 5th and didn't win the final because I saw some positive signs and potential in how we were progressing on the pitch.

On a personal level, I don't think we have many other options other than Lampard.  Before considering Lampard, I would have had a punt on Erik Ten Hag if he could have been tempted. Allegri and Benitez would have been a step in the wrong direction, not to say they aren't decent managers.

Think Kovačić has potential but didn't really shine in any of his games, saying this he wasn't too terrible either. Real getting rid of their dead weight plus 40 mill pounds in for new targets. With the ban we need depth and he could do a job as a squad player. However if he starts before Ruben they can all fuck right off.

Oh and Lampard approved it? How did that work no deal has been struck with him.

Kovacic smells of a desperate signing to boost the numbers before the ban applies. 

The fact it needed to be completed by this weekend to go through only strengthens that thought for me. Did he really knock anyone's socks off last season? 

I find it very hard to believe Chelsea envisage a future with him at the forefront of their team. 

Waste of a fee and wages really in my eyes for someone that isn't even a guaranteed starter.

Price if off putting, but a player we need to have. Especially in this possession/attacking system. Can be a good utility player if used right. 

He's technically brilliant and great defensively, but @Teso dos Bichos has more end product than him. Can be used as a rotation option for Jorginho or as a defensive operator on the left or right side of midfield. 

Just need to get rid of Bakayoko and Drinkwater. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Price if off putting, but a player we need to have. Especially in this possession/attacking system. Can be a good utility player if used right. 

He's technically brilliant and great defensively, but @Teso dos Bichos has more end product than him. Can be used as a rotation option for Jorginho or as a defensive operator on the left or right side of midfield. 

Just need to get rid of Bakayoko and Drinkwater. 

King Baka to carry our season 

I like Kovacic. He is a very solid midfielder, he can dribble, pass, tackle, and do all the bits that don't included scoring. He has made a few nice passes that led to goals as well, he is a very tidy player. I think the problem is that Kovacic and Jorginho can overlap responsibilities a little too much, which makes having both of them play redudant. Saying that though, I still believe that keeping a player like Kovacic is very important, as without him Jorginho is the only player of that style in the squad, leaving Barkley and Cheek to fill that gap and those two are far too offensive minded to play together in a midfield. In fact I'd go as far to say if Jorginho and Kovacic overlap, so do Barkley and Cheek.

I'm happy with the transfer, I think it is a fair market value, especially considering that Real Madrid could easily gouge Chelsea for having the ban in place. OVERALL it could be a minor blessing in disguise having the ban, as it forces the club to use what it has, and that could lead to improved performances without the yearly upheaval. Though don't hold your breath.

• Subscriber

Kovacic never impressed me this season. In Sarris system where you accept Jorginho does nothing in attack and you dont have a proper goalscoring striker you cant have another of your four non-defenders be someone who never scores or assists. Maybe he'll actually be decent in a different tactical setup.