talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Reuben Loftus-Cheek needs to be a part of the team next season, regardless of who comes in as manager. He at the very least deserves a shot. 

From watching him this season, it is evident that he has all the tools to be a success in this league. Physical and technical. He has showed 'moments' of sheer quality this season, to which we need to see more of on a consistent basis. What he needs more than anything, is confidence. 

No doubt he will be a success here given the opportunity. 

4 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Those were some strange comments after the game, strange. There have been times when Conte's level of English hasn't helped since he's been here. For example perhaps some things he's said in the past have come across stronger because of his lack of ability to express himself well enough in English or his lack of full understanding of some of the questions that have been asked, sometimes I think he interprets some of the questions wrong as well. Also, there are times when he completely answers a different question to the one he was asked and this is not done purposely (like a politician for example), just simply he misunderstands the English. Not to knock his English level, his English is good and to learn a language isn't easy (and I know that very well), credit to him for learning English quickly and having the confidence to speak it in front of many people. I think sometimes we have to be more aware of this when taking into account what he is saying.

However, this wasn't one of those times and again I don't know what his comments achieve in this case. Directed towards the attacking players and therefore you'd automatically assume a player we bought for big money last summer, Morata who seems like he needs to be wrapped in cotton wall at all times and who has fragile confidence issues. Conte's comments all season haven't helped the team, I don't care what he was promised by the club and what relationship he has with those within it, he is perhaps the biggest reason why we've come up short this season. The media and the outside will try to bring negativity in, even after one game (this is true at all clubs) but more so at ours because of the managerial merry go round we've had over the years but Conte's done more than added fuel to the fire, he's helped keep those clouds of negativity there and elevated the bad weather conditions. Ironically he's been more positive in the media in recent weeks and the results have improved. This isn't even talking about his tactics which were a problem even in the away win at Swansea on the weekend. He's not solely the problem, there's others (the board and players) but he still takes a big proportion of that blame.

Yes you sum him up very well. In conversation this past weekend with one of my Italian Chelsea friends who were so up for his appointment as Chelsea manager, he reminded me what he said at the time about the feeling in Italy that Conte's Achilles Heel is himself when things do not go his way. In fact, at Juventus the media felt he invented problems to moan about the club.

What amazes me is how he tends to state things, like the lack of goals killing off teams, months after the problem first arises. It's as thou he is slow on the uptake. Why, when most were saying Hazard couldnt play up front on his own and was being wasted, did it take so long for the manager to accept that? Willian, said by many to be our most consistent player this season, has been in and out of the team and more often than not, is the first player sacrificed in a game. Everyone saw his reaction at Wembley.

He is seriously taking the piss with those comments. Is he really blaming our attacking players ahead of his conservative approach for our lack of goals?

Let it be known that throughout his entire management career, there have been only 2 occasions where a striker has scored more than 20 goals. Costa last season and Tevez 12/13 season. 

When your striker only has 12 goals, it is hard to fight for trophies. xD

What a load of bollocks. What about constantly playing 5 defenders, even against lower opposition? What about our conservative and passive playing style you love to implement? What about playing Hazard as a false 9 occasion after occasion, even at times when we had strikers fit? What about thinking a 0 -1 defeat to City is a good result

Only 21 could be a good signing, nothing to lose there really. Some poor media website from my region also reporting that a deal is done. If he is doesn't play or is just loaned out because he is young then don't get him at all.

Incredible 5th Cup for the young blues, some serious talent there bet the Vitesse fans are super excited.

I have to say the "Hands up, it wasnt me" syndrome which seems to be buzzing around anyone associated with Chelsea football club, before during and after Mohammad Salah's time at the club is being allowed to become a Witch Hut, one of which the media are obviously enjoying poking.

"Antonio Conte insists he played no role in decision to sell Mohamed Salah" is the latest outburst from someone said to be in the know of what went on. He seemed to go as far as asking for the media not to pin it on him as he has enough problems at Chelsea. Like his humour on that.

For me, there is no blame on anybody at our club, although fingers should be pointed at people at Roma. Salah was shit during his spell with us and although he did show signs of improvement when out on loan, there was nothing to say he would have the kind of season he is having, which I hate to say, quite simply breathtaking.

Jose has made a big thing that it wasnt his decision to let the boy go and pointed out, he told Chelsea to sign him. If this is true, I find it hard to understand why he didnt put up a bigger fight to keep him in his first team squad over allowing him to move to Italy on Loan?

• Upvote 1

It's hard to step in the way of a player who needs regular minutes to develop, and everyone knows it, when that player wasn't getting into the side (rightly) because of the depth ahead of him.

Salah had to develop to get where he is today. That took his time at Fiorentina, where he looked alright, and Roma where he looked pretty good. At Roma he learned the confidence to use his speed and his skill to take players on - and he started getting into good goalscoring positions and created a lot of opportunities for other players. He took those skills and developed a more clinical shot with us, because our system puts him in a role that takes these very skills he demonstrated at Roma and tries to constantly utilise them and have him using his pace, skill, and shooting as much as possible. Our front 3 moves around constantly trying to have him run at the weakest gaps in a defense.

But for him to get to be in the shit hot form he's been in this season, he first needed to develop and get the game time he got with Fiorentina and Roma. And then he needed to be put in a system that really allows him to shine.

Chelsea managers are put in a hard spot when it comes to giving promising players time and chances to develop, because the pressure is well and truly on to get immediate results. And it's hard to give a kid who's new to the league and not looking great when you give him chances more chances, even if he does need more time to establish himself and to show what his potential can unfold into... because the evidence has shown they're not ready and when you've got players who aren't ready and players who are ready and you need results - who do you pick?

I don't blame anyone at Chelsea for letting Salah go at the time. He wasn't looking like he'd establish himself and it wasn't safe for a manager to say "go on lad, prove yourself" because that manager doesn't have the time for that. The loans were fair to Chelsea and Fiorentina/Roma and all clubs got to see how the player was after that much development.

The fact that Salah ended up with us and in a system that compliments his strengths really well is sort of besides the point. Who would have predicted Klopp would put that top 3 together at the time of the sale? Nobody. At the time of Salah's sale to Roma he was still honing his skills... and I don't think he's done either tbh, because we saw over the season he became much more clinical. At the time it looked like Chelsea selling a player they bought but didn't need at a fair value to Roma, who had used him and found him to be a good player at a good value price. Fair deal, nothing wrong with that.

Nobody can predict the future.

It just looks much worse when you consider Chelsea also let Lukaku, and KDB leave under really similar conditions... and it does make you wonder whether Chelsea should give managers a bit more time and a bit less pressure for immediate results (which are always important, of course, but not as important as following through on a long term plan that can sustain success for longer). As they could have developed the 3 of them and had an incredible attack.

But at the time... and considering the way Chelsea operate, I don't think there was anything wrong with the decision. The fact that a promising young player you sell can potentially end up being world class or very very good is a risk you take when you buy these players and hope for immediate success.

With Chelsea, the quest for immediate success and not giving managers has worked for them tbh. So there's definitely validity in their strategy. And the counterpoint to the risk of letting these class players go is, clubs that do try to develop players can sometimes go wrong and go on long barren spells. And that's true as well. Both strategies/viewpoints have pros and cons.

Personally, I like seeing players develop at my club and it's cool when they really kick on. Like I remember Lucas Leiva getting absolutely slaughtered when he first joined, and after a while he was a cult hero with us. Jordan Henderson came to us as a pretty shite player on our right hand side. Brendan Rodgers almost swapped him for Clint fucking Dempsey from Fulham and he stayed and wanted to fight for his spot. Now he's captain and when healthy, almost certainly our best central midfielder, and taking us a CL final. And it's very cool to see a player go through all of that with your club.

But on the other hand, chasing after immediate success has given Chelsea fans a lot more big nights more frequently than we've enjoyed in the past fucking decade.

tl;dr - long post

• Thanks 1

The under 18's have beaten United 0-3 and became national Champions back to back.

Under-18 Premier League southern title

- Under-18 Premier League Cup

- FA Youth Cup

- National Championship.

Incredible season for the lads and Jody Morris.

Something is getting the boys going lately, actually showing some fighting spirit. Today the defense on a very high level for the entire 95 minutes, which is very odd from us. Moses today ran his arse off and booked an assist excellent performance. The midfield did okay too, Bakayoko had a solid 90 minutes not done much wrong. Three games to go make them count

19 hours ago, True Blue said:

Something is getting the boys going lately, actually showing some fighting spirit. Today the defense on a very high level for the entire 95 minutes, which is very odd from us. Moses today ran his arse off and booked an assist excellent performance. The midfield did okay too, Bakayoko had a solid 90 minutes not done much wrong. Three games to go make them count

Nothing's changed in my opinion. We are just getting very fortunate our opposition can't finish their chances. Swansea and Liverpool could of easily drew or beaten us. 

Everything until May 19th is a matter of results. This team still needs a major clearing out and upgrading.  From top to bottom. 

I enjoyed the game. Obviously it patterned out much the same as other games this season, having to protect a one goal lead because we have players who find it difficult to score a second. They have no problem making the chances, just lack Drogba Lampard or anyone really who can be efficient in front of goal.

Yes I can understand Conte’s frustration, but again one must underline he put us in the position by cutting off his nose in spite his face. I like Giroud as a target man. He tries hard to lay the ball off in a well cushioned manor to a Blue shirt, but where he falls down is his mobility which I am afraid to say is well below standard for a top club CF. Morata is mobile, but I am not convinced he is a target man. So what the manager has saddled himself with by losing Costa is 2 players who each have half the talent of the player lost.

It’s the most important thing for the club to fix. I don’t mind either of the two mentioned players being sat on the bench next season, as long as we get a Chelsea style centre forward added.

I found the decision to drop a wide player, is, Willian or Pedro and play two dogs in Kante and Bakayoko alongside Fabregas operating on the right side as a good one. While it removed a more attacking threat from our game it helped bind up Liverpools weak midfield and we gained good offensive displays from both wing backs, highlight Moses (SHOCK) who played very well. (I know he is very bitter of his time at Liverpool, and I just wonder). Watching the game 3 times now, you cant ever say we were in that much trouble, pretty much controlling a game (Especially once we scored) against a side who’s reputation this season is lost on me watching them so thoroughly in this game. I am prepared to give this game down to the managers setting up.

Bakayoko is playing better. Ok there are still a few things he needs to iron out, like his understanding how much quicker the game is here compared to France and to stop turning blind when he first receives the ball in midfield, but I believe we have seen enough to know there really is a good player there and we should be patient. Now I know Cahill gave the ball away very poorly late in the second half, but that’s a lot less than both Christensen and Luiz has done this season. He is a whole hearted player who gives his all and it’s interesting the teams run of good form has come when he has been placed in the middle of the 3. Has to help the bloke playing too the left of him is playing out of his most welcome skin. In a season where a few clubs have hit gold with new signings, Rudiger is our selection to sit at that top table. Gary looks better when he isn’t stuck on his left foot all the time and Dave is doing well in a position that I believe he gets away with it. Would like to see him have a go at wingback. I think Gary would like to see it too.

Lastly on Chelsea I must state something on Hazard. When he has the ball at his feet he is on a completely different level to all other players on the pitch in this country. There are those who are questioning if he is good enough to play at the so called next level of Madrid and Barcelona. For me, any move to either of those two clubs will see him perform much more consistently at the very top end of his talents. Playing in a country where he will be protected more by officials & clubs who have the need in them to play attacking football will illuminate his talent which will probably make us Chelsea fans feel Pig Sick. We have to question if we have only seen a fraction of his ability by employing managers who’s first thought is to not lose. I would not question him if he chose to leave, but would find it ironic that he did so the season before we are alleged to be bringing in a more attacking minded manager.

‘I hope [the fans] don’t want to see me leave. I’m doing good things here. I’m happy here. Things can move, or they may not move. We’ll see. The public adore me, I love my teammates, my family are good here.’

‘Of course I want to play in the Champions League, but it isn’t a priority.’

Reckon who ever steps in as manager after Conte may play a huge impact as to whether or not he stays 

Speaking to Sky Sports, Fabregas explained: 'We are taking more chances because we are winning, and that's the most important [thing].

'I think defensively as well, we have been keeping clean-sheets.

'But the biggest regret this season, it's been up front, not taking our chances. We have had many, many chances to score in games, to win games that we didn't win.

'We could have won more if we had been more clinical and that's been our weakest point this season.'

Fabregas has scored twice in 31 PL appearances this season, adding four assists.

---------------------------

Interesting our players, like our current manager are openly offering the reason for our poor season. However, unlike the media who are catching straight onto the decision to allow Costa to leave, those affiliated to the club are stopping shot of naming his departure.

Come the departure of the manager & the safety of being with their World Cup squads I am sure the players will pinpoint Costa's departure.

We will see. :ay:

16 hours ago, Cicero said:

‘I hope [the fans] don’t want to see me leave. I’m doing good things here. I’m happy here. Things can move, or they may not move. We’ll see. The public adore me, I love my teammates, my family are good here.’

‘Of course I want to play in the Champions League, but it isn’t a priority.’

Reckon who ever steps in as manager after Conte may play a huge impact as to whether or not he stays 

The Real Madrid deal isn't happening so he is sucking up :clown::ph34r: