The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 1-3 LIVERPOOL - Thursday 28th January, 2021

football forums

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Of course not, he's had bad luck with us. I don't think he was injury prone at Schalke?:what:

Thats a short breakdown of his injury history. Make of it what you will but he seems to consistently pick up an injury so I don't think its just the way we play or the way we train. 

image.thumb.png.e2a8d75c4e8f1b6f505035c4c6aa4d19.png

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Thats a short breakdown of his injury history. Make of it what you will but he seems to consistently pick up an injury so I don't think its just the way we play or the way we train. 

image.thumb.png.e2a8d75c4e8f1b6f505035c4c6aa4d19.png

I was saying that he was unlucky with injuries with us but didn't think he was injury prone at Schalke 

I never suggested it was due to the way we play or the way we train?

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

I was saying that he was unlucky with injuries with us but didn't think he was injury prone at Schalke 

I never suggested it was due to the way we play or the way we train?

I never said you did say it was the way we train but to suggest that he wasnt on injury periods at Schalke is also a bit misleading when you look at that history. I only added us and training to highlight that it may not perhaps be us that is the issue here.

8 hours ago, Rick said:

Yeah I won’t bash Matip as a person for being fragile. It’s both Klopp & the clubs fault for not prioritising centre backs when making signings last summer. Matip has never been reliably fit for us, so you cant even say it’s a freak situation. He should never have been our only natural replacement for VVD & Gomez.

I’ll be pissed off beyond words if we do nothing in the next couple of days. which I know means I’ll most likely end up being pissed of beyond words. 

Do you think we should have forgot about Jota and Thiago to sign a CB then? I mean given what we know now, we'd probably have more points if we had signed a CB instead of Thiago, but we didn't know Van Dijk and Thiago were going to get snapped in half in the same game.

Just now, LFCMike said:

Do you think we should have forgot about Jota and Thiago to sign a CB then? I mean given what we know now, we'd probably have more points if we had signed a CB instead of Thiago, but we didn't know Van Dijk and Thiago were going to get snapped in half in the same game.

I think we needed a CB more than we did Thiago, but you can’t pass up on a player of his quality. I think letting Lovren go and not bringing in a replacement was just tempting fate.

The Salah goal should have definitely stood shouldn't it?

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think we needed a CB more than we did Thiago, but you can’t pass up on a player of his quality. I think letting Lovren go and not bringing in a replacement was just tempting fate.

I was personally fine with it in the summer. And let's be honest, Lovren would have probably had spells out injured this season too. 

At least with the Matip situation now, people can stop kidding themselves (myself included) that he might put a run of games together to help us through. If this doesn't force their hand, nothing will

• The topic was unpinned
9 hours ago, UNIQUE said:

we did have 4 centre backs at the start of the season but they all got injured. it dont matter if you have 10 centre backs if all 10 are injured. how is that failure in planning. 

You had 3 experienced centre backs, to get a 4th experienced centre back you've had to play a midfielder there which has weakened your team in the middle of the pitch.

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is the kane injury serious? Will he be ok for the euros?

Its almost like the same thing every season, Kane gets an ankle injury then gets rushed back by the end of the season so when he comes to play for England he is shit!

9 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I never said you did say it was the way we train but to suggest that he wasnt on injury periods at Schalke is also a bit misleading when you look at that history. I only added us and training to highlight that it may not perhaps be us that is the issue here.

I wasn't trying to mislead anyone Mel, Im just putting things in context.

Yes Matip has been injury prone with us, I'm just saying that nobody saw it coming ie his injury record at Schalke wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think our style of training or play is the issue either, it's frustrating as hell but to me it seems that Matip has just been unlucky to get so many injuries in such a relatively short period of time.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

I wasn't trying to mislead anyone Mel, Im just putting things in context.

Yes Matip has been injury prone with us, I'm just saying that nobody saw it coming ie his injury record at Schalke wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think our style of training or play is the issue either, it's frustrating as hell but to me it seems that Matip has just been unlucky to get so many injuries in such a relatively short period of time.

Maybe I started this wrong. I wasnt sayin you were misleading anyone I agree that Matip has been prone to injury and this is turning into a Daniel Sturridge like situation where we have a player who when fit and playing regularly adds value to the team but the problem is that hes always injured so where's the value in that. We cant keep relying on someone who gets a few games in then goes missing for the rest to get results. Last season we had Virgil and he didnt miss a game and look how that worked out for us. Again, didnt think you were misleading anyone I just wanted to state that hes always been this injured but the gamble has paid off in some ways because its not like he hasnt been good for us when he is fit. 

5 hours ago, Danny said:

You had 3 experienced centre backs, to get a 4th experienced centre back you've had to play a midfielder there which has weakened your team in the middle of the pitch.

Is anyone actually disagreeing with this? Of course having no fit CB's has a domino effect on the rest of the team, that goes without saying.

It doesn't mean we went into the season unprepared, we had three fit CB's plus Philips who was thought of very highly, hindsight is great Danny but nobody foresaw us losing three central defenders so quickly.:what:

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Maybe I started this wrong. I wasnt sayin you were misleading anyone I agree that Matip has been prone to injury and this is turning into a Daniel Sturridge like situation where we have a player who when fit and playing regularly adds value to the team but the problem is that hes always injured so where's the value in that. We cant keep relying on someone who gets a few games in then goes missing for the rest to get results. Last season we had Virgil and he didnt miss a game and look how that worked out for us. Again, didnt think you were misleading anyone I just wanted to state that hes always been this injured but the gamble has paid off in some ways because its not like he hasnt been good for us when he is fit. 

Sorry mate, I wasn't saying that you were trying to say I was being misleading (what a mouthful). ;)

I think we are both on the same page here, Im just saying that that we had no indication from his time with Schalke that we had bought an injury prone player.

5 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Is anyone actually disagreeing with this? Of course having no fit CB's has a domino effect on the rest of the team, that goes without saying.

It doesn't mean we went into the season unprepared, we had three fit CB's plus Philips who was thought of very highly, hindsight is great Danny but nobody foresaw us losing three central defenders so quickly.:what:

I don't think Phillips was thought of highly. Liverpool were going to sell or loan him out, hence he wasn't registered in the Champions League. I didn't have an issue with our options in the summer though because I was happy with Fabinho as fourth choice. Obviously, none of us expected him to play this many games there.

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Signing a CB over Thiago would probably have been a great idea considering how many CMs we have, how few CBs we have.

12 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Phillips was definitely not thought highly of. He was on his way out of the club and his move broke down last second.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think Phillips was thought of highly. Liverpool were going to sell or loan him out, hence he wasn't registered in the Champions League. I didn't have an issue with our options in the summer though because I was happy with Fabinho as fourth choice. Obviously, none of us expected him to play this many games there.

When I said Philips was thought of highly I didn't mean Klopp thought he would be a first choice partnering VVD just that the Liverpool staff thought he could fit in as a fourth CB.

I still think he could have a role to play  with us, he didn't do too badly yesterday albeit against a toothless Tottenham attack.

Nobody could predict our unprecedented injuries this season Mike.:what:

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Signing a CB over Thiago would probably have been a great idea considering how many CMs we have, how few CBs we have.

I don't see the connection with Thiago? It's not as if we had a summer budget and ignored a CB to buy Thiago, Thiago is a world class player and we jumped at the chance to sign him.

We have been looking for a quality CB to partner VVD, many had hoped Gomez was that player (and he still might be) but unless we wanted to vastly overspend like manu did with McGuire who would you say that we should have gone after?

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

One of those situations where people would criticise the club with hindsight whatever they did. Let's not forget that the way the Thiago deal was structured is the only reason they got it over the line.

35 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Which is why you have 4 experienced centre backs, it’s not hindsight it’s standard practice.

• Administrator

I don't get this concept that it has to be an £80m star or a youth player.

So many other clubs have been able to find good players somewhere in-between. And much more reliable & fitter than the likes of Matip or the youngsters. Even if it was just to do a job behind the preferred 2 of Van Dijk/Gomez.

Archived