West Ham 1-3 Liverpool - Sunday 31st January, 2021

football forums

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to West Ham 1-3 Liverpool - Sunday 31st January, 2021
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, N U F C said:

Just don't understand why teams would rather zonal mark than man mark.

Everton were doing it yesterday. 

We've done it all season. Conceded the most from set-pieces than any other side. It's utter shite.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

We've done it all season. Conceded the most from set-pieces than any other side. It's utter shite.

What's so shite about it? Just like the man marking system, it relies on the individual doing their job..

Feel like I've gone back 12 years to when Benitez was at Liverpool herexD

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I mean, he wasn't involved in either I don't think, but we did score two while he was in the pitchxD

There’s no way in hell he could have provided that bit of composure and quick feet that Firmino showed for the third goal. 

i mean don’t like shitting on Origi because he’s a cult hero and scored some big goals but he’s not very good.

1 minute ago, UNORTHODOX said:

There’s no way in hell he could have provided that bit of composure and quick feet that Firmino showed for the third goal. 

i mean don’t like shitting on Origi because he’s a cult hero and scored some big goals but he’s not very good.

Firmino came on for Shaqiri though. Probably happens whether it's Origi or Chamberlain on the pitch

That second goal is a thing of beauty, Salah at his best, sometimes his first touch lets him down but that was perfect the pass then the touch and finish.

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Firmino came on for Shaqiri though. Probably happens whether it's Origi or Chamberlain on the pitch

I actually missed the sub so wasn’t sure who Firmino replaced.  But you’re right there i was a bit harsh on origi.

All three Liverpool goals were top quality.

But that second goal, Trent's pass, Shaqiri's pass and the touch and finish from Salah, in those fucking wet conditions with a keeper charging out, is just...fuck it, I'm gonna say it, it was sexual.

It reminded me of Suarez's finish v Newcastle a few years back. Honestly, how he's dropped that stone dead mid run let alone finished it was just another level.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

What's so shite about it? Just like the man marking system, it relies on the individual doing their job..

Feel like I've gone back 12 years to when Benitez was at Liverpool herexD

Have you seen us defend corners xD

Agree it relies on individuals doing their jobs but when you don't have the right players doing that, it fails miserably. We have some small players ending up marking taller players.

I think it's quite easy to attack against. Man marking can be more targeted. Against zonal marking you could use flexible attacking moves yet the defence stays in the same places because of the zonal set up. 

1 minute ago, UNORTHODOX said:

That second goal is a thing of beauty, Salah at his best, sometimes his first touch lets him down but that was perfect the pass then the touch and finish.

I actually missed the sub so wasn’t sure who Firmino replaced.  But you’re right there i was a bit harsh on origi.

I've just seen the replay of the third and to be fair Chamberlain is very involved. Sure it's him who plays the one-two with Firmino. I take what I said back about OxxD

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Have you seen us defend corners xD

Agree it relies on individuals doing their jobs but when you don't have the right players doing that, it fails miserably. We have some small players ending up marking taller players.

I think it's quite easy to attack against. Man marking can be more targeted. Against zonal marking you could use flexible attacking moves yet the defence stays in the same places because of the zonal set up. 

But the defenders just have to attack the ball in their zone. It probably has to be more well drilled but it's no worse than man marking. Neither are without fault.

I hated this debate 10 years ago and it still winds me up now.

Archived