talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 3-0 Newcastle - Saturday 20th March, 2021

football forums

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, at Bruce being "loyal" with his history.

Of course he's being "loyal" at the moment. He's never going to get another Premier League job in a million years. With Wilder, Howe and Lampard out of work, he's not even going to be first choice in the managerial merry-go-round for a Championship job. 

What an idiot.

I really feel for the fans. I also relate to them with what is happening at my club at the moment. It might be different circumstances (Newcastle have it far worse) but comes to the same conclusion regarding the manager.

1 minute ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

This is spot on to be honest, Newcastle aren't a great side but there's no way they should be relegated with the players they have, if they made a change now (even just promoting Jones) then they would pick up enough points to win games and be safe. 

They're absolutely sleepwalking at the moment, Fulham will end up winning a few before the end of the season and it could be a case of when the two sides meet, it's already too late. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Newcastle are absolutely certain to swap places with Fulham. Fulham are by no means good, but fuck me at least they have fight in them. 

Think Fulham have a decent team in the making. The kind that are rough around the edges and need some refinement. Whether Parker is the man to do that I don't know but I hope they stick with him and don't end up sacking him for some has-been like Pardew if they do go down. 

They have stepped up recently and like you say, have the fight in them. Something which Newcastle severely lack. I agree with what De Jong says - if they want to survive, they need to get shot of Bruce and swallow some pride, move the sentiment out of the way etc... 

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

This is spot on to be honest, Newcastle aren't a great side but there's no way they should be relegated with the players they have, if they made a change now (even just promoting Jones) then they would pick up enough points to win games and be safe. 

They're absolutely sleepwalking at the moment, Fulham will end up winning a few before the end of the season and it could be a case of when the two sides meet, it's already too late. 

History tells me changing managers might not work either. That it might be too late. That the damage is done. That it can't be reversed in such a short amount of time. As with our last 2 relegations. We're leaving it too late. Isn't there a stat that only 1 club has ever survived after changing their manager this late?

De Jong says we need 3 wins. Here's our fixtures.

Tottenham - h

Burnley - a

West Ham - h

Liverpool - a

Arsenal - h

Leicester - a

Man City - h

Sheffield United - h

Fulham - a

To get 3 wins now is to start scalping the top teams. I can't see it. It's going to the last day at best. The only risk of keeping Bruce is we might not even make it to the last day.

If Fulham don't get points we might survive.

As I have been banging on for the last month we needed 8 points from Brighton, Villa, West Brom and Wolves. We got 3 points. 

Bruce has fucked it so badly. 

You have takes like this...

If you're only getting it now then you really have to have a long hard look at how you could get it so wrong for months. For me it is because Newcastle United fans are treat as a caricature by the media. It doesn't help that in their circle are massive failures like Graeme Souness who took a top 5 Newcastle side into the bottom half and to cope with how bad he was as a manager he has to frame it all as someone else's fault, the fans. Sometimes you've also got Kieron Dyer doing the circuit, a player who spent years being abused at this club for his wank attitude. Or a bitter as fuck Craig Bellamy who used to feign injury out of fear of playing at St James' Park after he left us. It is all people who have a history of rubbing Newcastle fans up the wrong way. At best they'll get someone on from the Keegan side so they can ask them constant Keegan references, then you'll get the likes of Merson saying the fans are living in the 90s as he did yesterday morning, I think you'll find it is Sky that are living in the 90s when it comes to Newcastle.

The fans saw something very wrong. We were constantly beaten down about it. Shut up. Know your place. Bruce is great. What do you want. Deluded Geordies. We saw problems, we didn't even envisage it would get this bad but we had genuine criticisms that needed to be addressed by the manager. Bruce attacked the fans, he joined the Sky bandwagon, the Geordie caricature. He called us hysterical, said we demand too much, blamed us for results when we weren't even in the stadium.

Bruce is our enemy. As the banner outside of the ground says he is not one of us. He is the embodiment of the anti-Newcastle hot takes.

Someone said on twitter a couple of months back that when Bruce came in it was a case of nice bloke but not good enough for this level and that it turned out he wasn't a nice bloke at all, he's a gobshite liar and a fraud.

As I've said before, it may be a mistake in my memory, but I genuinely believe Bruce is a considerably bigger dickhead than Pardew. I've never seen a manager as bad as him with public relations. 

No wonder Mike Ashley likes him. The perfect pawn in his psychopathic game.

Unsurprisingly, he tweeted the same thing a year ago in what is the most Brighton tweet you could ever see.

Two weeks ago, their last three home wins had came in three separate calendar years. They beat a team that look like they'll struggle in The Championship and you get this nonsense off the back of it.

A TOP TEN COACH who in two years taken from 17th to 16th. No idea who this top ten talent is either. 

To be blunt they’re a top 16 club, with top 16 talent and a top 16 manager, no offence to Llallana and Welbeck but if that’s your talent market, your going to be 16th every season. The sooner their fans and those associated to the club realise this the less painful it will be for everybody.

6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Unsurprisingly, he tweeted the same thing a year ago in what is the most Brighton tweet you could ever see.

Two weeks ago, their last three home wins had came in three separate calendar years. They beat a team that look like they'll struggle in The Championship and you get this nonsense off the back of it.

A TOP TEN COACH who in two years taken from 17th to 16th. No idea who this top ten talent is either. 

To be blunt they’re a top 16 club, with top 16 talent and a top 16 manager, no offence to Llallana and Welbeck but if that’s your talent market, your going to be 16th every season. The sooner their fans and those associated to the club realise this the less painful it will be for everybody.

Here is a complete list of Brighton players who could find a home playing football for a top 10 team most weeks. 
Dunk. 
Maupay 
Trossard. 

That is all. 

23 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I looked at the Tweet and it was just angry Palace fans responding xD

13 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I looked at the Tweet and it was just angry Palace fans responding xD

You expect better from a journalist associated with The Athletic and they should be held to a higher account when they tweet bollocks. Something that an account named "DunkSZN" or "BHATrey" would tweet.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

You expect better from a journalist associated with The Athletic and they should be held to a higher account when they tweet bollocks. Something that an account named "DunkSZN" or "BHATrey" would tweet.

I’ve been let down a lot by The Athletic recently, so it doesn’t surprise me.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

That is bad.

Like @Devil-Dick Willie said, only a handful (at best) are top ten.

I can't speak for the structure/hierarchy - it seems okay but I don't know much; Potter is a decent manager (debatable if he's top ten as well at this moment).

Saying 'if they can just get over the line this season' is a bit contradictory to the rest of what he's aiming at, as well.

They need a lot more quality around the whole squad to add to just those 3 players (and maybe Bissouma).

I can't fault a club (or journalist) from having ambition - otherwise what's the point? - but surely you have to add some realism to it as well?! 

Some journalists in this country are just purely reactionary with very little insight - Southampton and Spurs topped the league for all of 5 mins and then faltered miserably for a while and dropped down instantly. At the time, all the journalists could go on about was how they could go on to win the league without any substance. 

Something to behold is probably a push. But 10th isn't impossible. I think of them like Swansea some years back. If they could get lucky in the transfer market with a striker like Swansea did with Michu and then Boly then they probably could become a decent outfit around 8th-12th.

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here is a complete list of Brighton players who could find a home playing football for a top 10 team most weeks. 
Dunk. 
Maupay 
Trossard. 

That is all. 

I'd say MacAllister and Bissouma could easily hack it around the Europa League level. 

1 hour ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

Lol the players are going to have 6 days off from the 9 before the Spurs game. Are we semi professional or something?

Players have to go to the gym themselves if they want. No football.

Its getting to a stage now where you have to question whether Mike Ashley is in favour of relegation in the hope it will push a sale through more laxed EFL ruling.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Its getting to a stage now where you have to question whether Mike Ashley is in favour of relegation in the hope it will push a sale through more laxed EFL ruling.

That and/or he doesn't give a toss anymore. He's done. 

Previous relegations he shit his Donnay knickers because the asset value collapsed and he was forced to speculate to get that accumulation back. I'm not sure that will happen again. 

6 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

That and/or he doesn't give a toss anymore. He's done. 

Previous relegations he shit his Donnay knickers because the asset value collapsed and he was forced to speculate to get that accumulation back. I'm not sure that will happen again. 

You can tell Newcastle is the kind of club where the owner and manager haven't spoken in weeks, probably months.

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

You can tell Newcastle is the kind of club where the owner and manager haven't spoken in weeks, probably months.

True. The owner has a weird relationship with the running of the club. Lee Charnley runs the club in truth. I have a reliable source that says Charnley hated Rafa's guts. Charnley is also responsible for the shortlist that delivered Bruce. If Charnley wanted Bruce gone I doubt Ashley would overrule.

Ashley possibly just wants to know the results and know the finances.

As I've said before I find it incredible that a man of Ashley's wealth and so called business prowess would allow the club to be ran by someone so clearly failing and out of their depth. Why he didn't go out and hire someone competent and experienced for the role we can only speculate. Though many business accounts of Sports Direct suggest Ashley likes to hire Yes men who will do his financial bidding. Famously that approach has clashed with shareholders on a number of occasions.

This was a crucial and impressive win for Brighton. It looks much more likely now that the south coast club won't get relegated this season. As for Newcastle United, they look in deep trouble. They have some very difficult fixtures coming up as they battle out avoiding the last relegation spot with Fulham.

The Fulham v Newcastle United fixture on the last day of the season should be a dramatic encounter, assuming that neither side has already been relegated by then.

Archived