talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group B) - Belgium 3-0 Russia - Saturday 12th June, 2021

football forum

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Is it? Because you don't seem to even understand what I said, you just got angry and judgemental. I posted this when Eriksen was already responsive so it was more akin to 'why would he not play? His friend is alive'

PS Good for Lampard? Weird thing to say, his mother died.

Obviously we aren't understanding one another, but as I said, I think this is a case of posting during an event, and when my post was written was a very drastic difference to when yours was.

I could back and restate what I've already stated, but after finding out that Eriksen was responsive and even talking, then it makes complete sense why the match was played, and was Lukaku surely felt a lot better going onto the pitch at game time. When I wrote my post, we weren't sure if Eriksen even made it to the hospital, and I wasn't sure how quickly we'd be getting information out, but the medics and UEFA did a great job and were a lot more responsive than I thought they'd be.

Good for Lampard probably wasn't the correct phrasing, but again, I'm happy he played if it brought him the peace, or distraction he needed during a tough time like losing a parent. Some people cope by spending time away while others busy themselves. Again, at the time of my posting, we feared the worst for Eriksen, so with that in mind, I was saying that I didn't think the match should be played and that if it was, I would understand if Lukaku did not partake in the match, and if it was the latter, that by no means makes him a 'weak minded person'. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

It's funny to see american journos on Twitter implying Russia is a uniquely racist nation simply because their players didn't take a knee. 

Those dudes carry water for american cultural imperialism and don't even realize it. Russia is a country with a completely different historical path and society composition than that of the United States, it's unfair to judge an entire society based solely on this episode.

The population of african descent in Russia is very small. Sure, there is racism in Russia but it's directed mostly against  Central Asia immigrants. 

They also completely ignore the fact that Soviet Union has supported many decolonization movements in Africa.

Not to mention the fact that Russia was playing Belgium, a country that is still ruled by relatives of freaking Leopold II.

In my opinion I just think it is too simple. Every culture has a different dynamic, and it works differently everywhere. In a lot of Western nations it seems to be seem that racism is a white v black thing but that simply isn't the case. One hears about racist tweets, I bet a lot of people  in the USA in particular immediately think of a white, dumb, fat bastard with a chip on his shoulder. Yeah they exist, but then you see those broken English tweets from some third world country just spouting awful abuse at someone like Marcus Rashford. My word, just read some of the vitriol that was aimed towards Sergio Ramos when he injured Salah. People were saying they were going to rape his wife and murder his 'dog children'.

I think kneeling works in the USA, it's great but I don't see the point for let's say an Italian kneeling because they just don't have the same cultural and societal connection to it. I bet most Italians and most racist Italians have never even left Italy nor even met someone of a different race.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

So the Russia didn’t take the knee, why do Euros even do it anyway? what is even the statement they are making?

I understand why Americans started it, because they are protesting injustices and in a way the negative aspects of Americna culture and history, and as of right now teams haven’t done it in a  while. And hell, I fully support their protests

Seems like a weird importation and imitation of Americanisms to me, and you’ve made it a bigger deal

BLM was just about getting Joe Biden elected to secure the black vote, that's it!

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Then you are one of the sheep

Says the bloke that just repeated a Sky and Fox headline. Come on, mate BLM outdate Biden's presidential run by over half a decade

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

In my opinion I just think it is too simple. Every culture has a different dynamic, and it works differently everywhere. In a lot of Western nations it seems to be seem that racism is a white v black thing but that simply isn't the case. One hears about racist tweets, I bet a lot of people  in the USA in particular immediately think of a white, dumb, fat bastard with a chip on his shoulder. Yeah they exist, but then you see those broken English tweets from some third world country just spouting awful abuse at someone like Marcus Rashford. My word, just read some of the vitriol that was aimed towards Sergio Ramos when he injured Salah. People were saying they were going to rape his wife and murder his 'dog children'.

I think kneeling works in the USA, it's great but I don't see the point for let's say an Italian kneeling because they just don't have the same cultural and societal connection to it. I bet most Italians and most racist Italians have never even left Italy nor even met someone of a different race.

I agree. 

In my opinion, it's unfair to expect that George Floyd's death have a significant resonance in a country with a small black population and with no history of colonization in Africa. 

The american history of slavery and racial opression, despite the power of american culture, is not a universal experience. It's a historically and geographically determined experience. 

Just now, Eco said:

Err...I think BLM started in 2013...

And they persuaded the black community to vote democrat :coffee:  ..Trump was a moron but he did more for black people than any other president  yet they still voted for a guy who has ties with the KKK  :4_joy: 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

I agree. 

In my opinion, it's unfair to expect that George Floyd's death have a significant resonance in a country with a small black population and with no history of colonization in Africa. 

The american history of slavery and racial opression, despite the power of american culture, is not a universal experience. It's a historically and geographically determined experience. 

Many of the Arabian nations used sub-saharan Africans as slaves as well, except they castrated them to prevent reproduction. Do they feel the same empathy as many western nations? There is a deep troubling history around the world and many can only apply their native history to their world view.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Arabslavers.jpg

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

And they persuaded the black community to vote democrat :coffee:  ..Trump was a moron but he did more for black people than any other president  yet they still voted for a guy who has ties with the KKK  :4_joy: 

Did more for black people than any other president!? Did Lincoln end slavery or am I daydreaming? Ties to the KKK xD Why because of that debunked photo that he was in with a guy that knew someone in the KKK? Churchill was also in a photo with Stalin, does that make him have ties with the Soviets?

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Did more for black people than any other president!? Did Lincoln end slavery or am I daydreaming? Ties to the KKK xD Why because of that debunked photo that he was in with a guy that knew someone in the KKK? Churchill was also in a photo with Stalin, does that make him have ties with the Soviets?

00FYl9L.gif

:4_joy:

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Many of the Arabian nations used sub-saharan Africans as slaves as well, except they castrated them to prevent reproduction. Do they feel the same empathy as many western nations? There is a deep troubling history around the world and many can only apply their native history to their world view.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Arabslavers.jpg

No. Sure, the sub-saharan slave trade could supply the demands of the portuguese so readily probably because there was already the precedent of the trans-saharan slave trade in place. 

But I Iwould say the arab nations feel they themselves got the hard end of the stick. Mostly, though not only, because of the empty british promisses in World War 1 and then due to the american presence in the region since 1945. 

In less affluent and less stable societies there is much less space for self-reflection than there is in the United States? That would be my guess. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Devil said:

Hated the game as well, no matter how good Belgium are I just don't enjoy watching them. 

How come? 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived