talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I haven't. Any particular book of hers I should start off with? 

The Left Hand of Darkness is the obvious choice. The Dispossessed is the next one. 

I also love Robert A. Heinlein's books. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

Please don't flood this thread @Blue with your book, feel free to create another thread. This is about books 'You are Currently Reading', not books you are 'Pretending to Write'. 

On a side note, I need a good sci-fi book. Any good recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm sorry you don't believe me son. 

fd75758648b633faaf7fd1f66c670e33.png

If you don't think I will finish it, that's your problem but you don't need to be a prick about it.

I hope your comment made you feel good about yourself.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

If you don't think I will finish it, that's your problem but you don't need to be a prick about it.

Looks like someone needs to activate his Windows xD 

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Listen snowflake, it was a joke (about not finishing), but not a joke about moving it to another thread. This isn't the thread for what you are trying to accomplish and it'll only be bogged down with people wanting to talk about books we are all actually reading/recommending. 

And cheers, I feel fucking great at the moment. :ay:

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

I'm on windows 10, please don't tell me they had another update :(

I don't know mate, I'm on Windows 7 and I'm not planning to update. I just noticed the  "activar windows/ ve a configuracion para activar windows" message plastered all over the screeenshot you posted haha.

Just now, Eco said:

Listen snowflake, it was a joke (about not finishing), but not a joke about moving it to another thread. This isn't the thread for what you are trying to accomplish and it'll only be bogged down with people wanting to talk about books we are all actually reading/recommending. 

And cheers, I feel fucking great at the moment. :ay:

Love how now its a "joke" after I exposed you with evidence. Apparently that's my favourite move. 

And I'm 31 pages in. No point in starting a thread and then being seen as an "attention seeker" when I still have a lot to go. This is the only thread that I could validly post it in. 

Its clear that you don't like that I'm writing a book and then belittle it to make me look bad. Anything otherwise is a lie.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I don't know mate, I'm on Windows 7 and I'm not planning to update. I just noticed the  "activar windows/ ve a configuracion para activar windows" message plastered all over the screeenshot you posted haha.

Ohhhh I see what you meant.

That's been there for a while haha

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Love how now its a "joke" after I exposed you with evidence. Apparently that's my favourite move. 

And I'm 31 pages in. No point in starting a thread and then being seen as an "attention seeker" when I still have a lot to go. This is the only thread that I could validly post it in. 

Its clear that you don't like that I'm writing a book and then belittle it to make me look bad. Anything otherwise is a lie.

What in the world are you on about? There are no facts...you posted screen shots of word documents. Christ man, I'm all for you writing a book, was just wanting you to do it in another thread. Hell, I even tried writing a book once way back when. 

I don't care what you do in your free time, I only suggested you open up a separate thread since you were asking for advice, and if you had done it in another thread, the information would have been easier to sort through than by having to ignore most posts in this thread which are meant to be about books people are reading, have just finished, or are looking for advice on which to read next. 

R-E-L-A-X

3 hours ago, Eco said:

This is about books 'You are Currently Reading', not books you are 'Pretending to Write'. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Christ man, I'm all for you writing a book

5b8e5f26b6958ef5bc6e08e859ccb30d.png

I hope that ends these silly attempts of you "ridiculing" me. 

I'll take your advice when I'm closer to finishing. Right now its way too early to do so. Its ok to tell me to move it to another thread, but again you could have said it politely. 

Just now, Blue said:

5b8e5f26b6958ef5bc6e08e859ccb30d.png

I hope that ends these silly attempts of you "ridiculing" me. 

I'll take your advice when I'm closer to finishing. Right now its way too early to do so. Its ok to tell me to move it to another thread, but again you could have said it politely. 

You could also just not everything so fucking personal. 

Just now, Eco said:

You could also just not everything so fucking personal. 

I take things as personally as anyone else on here. Its hypocritical to say that when you (and the others that dislike me) always comment whenever I criticize them. 

Now I'll await someone to call that out for a lie.

I'm tired of making enemies but when you try to turn a new leaf and you still get certain pricks following you around posting unnecessary comments, its not so easy you know?

8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Downloaded the audiobook “Pep Confidential” from Audible for free. 

Only a few chapters in but very good thus far. Such an interesting and deep thinker Guardiola. 

I may have to check that out. Audiobooks are a different beast as you can have a good book ruined with a poor reader and vise versa. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I may have to check that out. Audiobooks are a different beast as you can have a good book ruined with a poor reader and vise versa. 

Yeah, that’s very true. I got into them because a lot of what I do at work doesn’t require much thinking so I can chuck an audiobook on and listen for a while. 

A poor reader can effect the book, definitely. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah, that’s very true. I got into them because a lot of what I do at work doesn’t require much thinking so I can chuck an audiobook on and listen for a while. 

A poor reader can effect the book, definitely. 

Yeah - my father drives a lot and so he listens to a book (sometimes two) a week. He's gotten so involved with it, that he knows a handful readers that he'll listen to anything they read, and a set of readers he won't listen to even if it's a book that's subject interests him greatly. 

On 20/08/2018 at 09:56, nudge said:

The Left Hand of Darkness is the obvious choice. The Dispossessed is the next one. 

I also love Robert A. Heinlein's books. 

Finished by book, not great, but had to read it for work and so I'm not too surprised it underwhelmed. 

Next up: I'm going to choose between these 3. 

5187U70VCLL._AC_US218_.jpg41bl2ognhpL._AC_US218_.jpg41E7EKgoryL._AC_US218_.jpg

However, I probably won't start with Ursula's novel, as I'm on the waiting list to check it out of the library, whereas the other are available now. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Eco said:

Finished by book, not great, but had to read it for work and so I'm not too surprised it underwhelmed. 

Next up: I'm going to choose between these 3. 

5187U70VCLL._AC_US218_.jpg41bl2ognhpL._AC_US218_.jpg41E7EKgoryL._AC_US218_.jpg

However, I probably won't start with Ursula's novel, as I'm on the waiting list to check it out of the library, whereas the other are available now. 

All good books, I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless of which one you choose!

I'm back on the sci-fi train again too, will start this tonight:

51c-9oXEMoL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Siyāsatnāmeh ("Book of Government"), also known as Siyar al-mulûk(The Lives of Kings), is the most famous work by Nizam al-Mulk, the founder of Nizamiyyah schools in medievalPersia and vazier to the Seljuq sultans Alp Arslan and Malik Shah.

Al-Mulk possessed "immense power" as the head administration for the Seljuq empire over a period of 30 years and was responsible for establishing distinctly Persian forms of government and administration which would last for centuries. 

A great deal of his approach to governing is contained within the Siyasatnameh which is in a tradition ofPersian-Islamic writing known as the "Mirrors for Princes".

Written in Persian and composed in the eleventh century, the Siyasatnameh was created following the request by Malik Shahthat his ministers produce books on government, administration and the troubles facing the nation. However, the treatise compiled by al-Mulk was the only one to receive approval and was consequently accepted as forming "the law of the constitution of the nation".

DqVRAx4xcZU6PH1SUqiP4RxqLgxvegVakI2EfnD7

• 3 weeks later...

Image result for and the weak suffer what they must

Just finished this. I liked the fairly straightforward way of explaining a lot of the economic developments between the EU and America, and the EU and the southern states, but overall the tone was a bit dull and self-righteous. For a layman like me it was worth the effort of persisting with and reading through, but not the most captivating read.

Image result for walter eucken the foundations of economics

Next up I've got this on loan from the library. I wrote my honours dissertation partly on Walter Eucken's legal thought, so I thought it would interesting to read his major economic work.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 16/08/2017 at 21:04, nudge said:

Will be starting this now:

Sapiens_A_Brief_History_of_Humankind.jpg

I'm a sucker for "big history", even considering its limitations, so I'm quite excited about this one. 

Got it as an audiobook in the end, and it was really worth it. Very fascinating book; a sort of a popular science version of "big anthropological history" that covers the history, culture and societal aspects of our species and raises quite a few interesting points throughout. Highly recommended!

• 1 month later...

1984, and the Barefoot Investor. The Barefoot Investor is Aussie centric but the same principles would apply globally, and I’ve only finished the first chapter (which is about bank accounts) and I’m already on a very similar page as suggested (account with compound interest, no banking fees etc, no credit card). I have 4 bank accounts. Term deposit, everyday transactions, internet saver and my compound interest one. 

Edited by Toinho