talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 1-0 Newcastle - Thursday 17th March, 2022

football forums

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never saw that coming tbh as Newcastle pressed forward with 10 men at the end there. Everton hardly created all night with 11 so you didn't expect something with 10 men but credit where it's due, it was a well worked goal.

Big let off for them but its not about what you deserve/don't deserve now, its purely about getting results any way possible.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Newcastle bubble burst?

Start of the turnaround for Everton...? 

Classic possession means nothing if you don't score,  we had a run of chances in the first half and overplayed to much.   Then you overplay in midfield and turn over the ball and they score.    Either way the second half was way off the pace. 

• Subscriber

It's a good job we managed to fashion that win somehow because on the evidence of that performance there aren't many more coming easily anytime soon. That second half from Newcastle was very mid-table safety, hopefully we get more of the same from Leicester and Palace when they come to Goodison.

Any three points are golddust now, hopefully that gives us some confidence back and we can haul ourselves away without having to rely on scraping unconvincing home wins against bottom half teams.

Hopefully Lampard calls out the referees again despite the win. I didn't want to overreact initially because I know I'm biased and I've not seen anyone else besides Pawson and Attwell decide that was a red card yet.

4 games 12 days, 5 in 18 it was a lot and the 17 days off is needed.   

decision making was off last night, but in terms of perform ance 62% possession, 17 shots, 7on target and 7 corners was indicative if this was maybe a week earlier we may have walked away with 2 or 3 goals.   Howe pointed to mental fatigue more than physical as the culprit for a somewhat shot shy effort.   hard to think but maybe Shelvey does make a difference.

I agree with lampard that spirit and togetherness is needed however if Everton keep playing like that they will run into teams that will not be as wasteful in front of goal.    

Everton and Leeds will likely just about stay up.

Was going to bet on Everton to win last night, lets call it gut intuition. Watched the first half and bits of the second.

Yet time caught up with me and the match was already underway and the first half was not inspiring as Everton were playing defensively.

I don't think Richarlison is a number 9 and it showed although also thought he should have had a least one free kick that was not given against Newcastle's tall defenders.

Surprised to see Gordon playing centrally and also Begovic.

Begovic did well and if he was played due to fears about error prone Pickford being a liability in a relegation scrap I might agree.

As much as I did not like the Everton set up in the first I did like their fight with great defensive tackles from Coleman and Gordon. 

Iwobi for me looked a lost cause on the right attacking position.

The Allan challenge and red card was one of those you might call an orange yet Everton responded well.

DLC gave them more presence and a nice finish from the onrushing Iwobi.

I think Everton will stay up and be safe one match before the last game.

• The title was changed to Everton 1-0 Newcastle - Thursday 17th March, 2022

Archived