• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Politics

football forum

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Obviously wait to see how the second round goes but that's an okay margin for Macron for now if this is an accurate poll. Le Pen very much in the fight though. Melenchon is their leftie so not bad to get 20% to be honest. You'd hope most of those people turn up to vote for Macron in the run-off. They don't like him but surely you hold your nose to keep Le Pen out? 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

Seriously is this 🤡 on drugs. He defends the tax payer 

Also waffling on about people being fat you closed all the gyms. Remember 🤔 

We have a thread for terrible UK politics too :)

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Sean the ginger 1 said:

I'll probably never post again until Boris the dodge pot leaves and takes his criminals with him 

The number of times I've tried to tell myself this xD.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Sri Lanka has now defaulted on all foreign debts. More countries to follow in coming years

Temporary suspended foreign debt payments, while waiting for IMF bailout and debt restructuring... So not a hard bailout yet, but yeah, expect more of the same to happen to other countries in the future.

Nepal has just banned import of non-essential goods due to dwindling forex reserves, too.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Spike said:

Shocking how little this is spoken about. What will happen in Pakistan? Is a coup or military junta possible?

A soft coup is already in place, 16 parties among those who are polar opposite of each other made an alliance to oust Imran Khan, this couldn't have happened without establishment's backing. I think they will ban Khan's party over some fake case or at least disqualify Khan before next elections like what happened in Egypt post-2013 and keep the current cabal in power.

This wouldn't go well since he is a popular leader and particularly enjoys massive support in the Pakhtun regions. This looks eerily similar to Ukraine situation after the regime change there.

• 3 weeks later...

Khan said in his rally today that he has threats against his life. That's not far fetched some kind of Egypt model is in place for him. 

It looks like the military establishment wanted to teach the opposition parties a lesson for their constant rhetoric against them, so they went with Khan making govt seeing his popular support.

But Khan was serious about anti-corruption drive and standing up to US security demands, they didn't want the former bcz corrupt politicians are easy to control and latter involved pressure from US as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Khan's party has won the by elections in the swing state you may call it by heavy margin. The turn around is reportedly highest in any election in country's history.

His narrative building has worked so far looks like it.

On 17/07/2022 at 10:15, Aladdin said:

Khan's party has won the by elections in the swing state you may call it by heavy margin. The turn around is reportedly highest in any election in country's history.

His narrative building has worked so far looks like it.

Do you think it's true he's considered a threat because of his refusal to act on behalf of US foreign policy... do you think there's a good chance he get's "Mossadegh-d" if he holds the office again?

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you think it's true he's considered a threat because of his refusal to act on behalf of US foreign policy... do you think there's a good chance he get's "Mossadegh-d" if he holds the office again?

Great powers have an exaggerated perception of threat, they get scared very easily, so yes U.S. sees him as a 'threat' even if it's just his anti-U.S. rhetoric that doesn't necessarily translate into policy always. 

Our military establishment has a deep seated relationship with U.S. If they have decided Khan is not acceptable, they'll do everything to keep him out be it civil anarchy. If they are ambivalent about him, he'll come back but try to tone down his rhetoric to a limit. 

Outright coup like Mossadeq? I don't know that will canonize Khan forever and military will lose its popular support. The reaction of that might be even more severe than what threat they see in Khan like Islamic revolution in Iran followed the ousting of Mossadeq who was moderate compare to the regime now who is at their throat. Are they stupid enough to repeat that? 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting poor internet coverage both on my phone and wifi for days now, called the helpline; they said there are jammers on my side. Similar with my friends. 

They could be planning to do a complete internet blackout if they really want to arrest him. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

I'm getting poor internet coverage both on my phone and wifi for days now, called the helpline; they said there are jammers on my side. Similar with my friends. 

They could be planning to do a complete internet blackout if they really want to arrest him. 

We had a day of internet blackout in Sri Lanka earlier this year due to political instability as well, but they removed it a day later because everyone was using VPN and circumventing the blackout anyway xD

Stay safe and get yourself a VPN, just in case. ProtonVPN has a free option, which is safe and good enough, and will keep you connected in case things go crazy over there.

Archived