talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 1 Fixtures - 6-7th August, 2022

football forum

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

A pretty strong Leicester side, Fofana included... @Stan @Dan

Happy with that. Glad he's been picked as our defence just seems stronger with him. 

Looks like 3 5 2 from us. Not usually keen on it but just hope we press from the odd and attack through Maddison, Youri and Vardy. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Happy with that. Glad he's been picked as our defence just seems stronger with him. 

Looks like 3 5 2 from us. Not usually keen on it but just hope we press from the odd and attack through Maddison, Youri and Vardy. 

You're a bit slower in this formation aren't you?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Danny said:

You're a bit slower in this formation aren't you?

To some extent. It gives us the width but does limit us centrally if the width don't perform. 

Disappointing end to the half. Was such a simple set piece to clear at the front post, outside of that Leicester haven't really threatened and all their chances bar a half hearted header from Maddison have been long range efforts outside of the box.

Flip side to that is their back 5 have been extremely difficult to break down, we've not really had any joy down the right hand side but did create a nice little chance in their box early on with Henry and Mbeumo running down the left. Hickey needs to be more adventurous and Jensen needs to impose himself more as he's just cruising with the odd good moment.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Dasilva come on soon. 

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Stan said:

Gerrard first to get sacked? 

Don't want to jump the gun but possibly. I saw a table for roughly the second half of last season a few days ago and hadn't realised Villa were right down there.

Good strike from Dewsbury-Hall, Leicester have so much quality in their team. Don't think we've been 1-0 bad, let alone 2-0. We've not been great defensively and Leicester have found their way to our box fairly easily, but they've struggled to create chances inside it. Fortunately for them they've not needed to today really.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Good strike from Dewsbury-Hall, Leicester have so much quality in their team. Don't think we've been 1-0 bad, let alone 2-0. We've not been great defensively and Leicester have found their way to our box fairly easily, but they've struggled to create chances inside it. Fortunately for them they've not needed to today really.

Leicester do play good football

Good result in the end even if we deserved to win, had them on the ropes but we done more than enough coming back from 2-0 down tbh, a win would have been excellent but it's all about collecting points and we struggled for draws last season.

Frank's tactical changes were spot on.

JOSH FUCKING DASILVA YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD. What a goal, classic Josh, back at it.

Oh and finally, something about Christian Eriksen, no creativity, blah blah blah. You Bees.

A word on Leicester...didn't really look at it in the box, created a lot of chances from outside it, but never really created problems for us inside it in open play. Good news considering we played with two separate centre mids in our back 3 at one point.

• Administrator

First half was ours. Second half was yours @Danny. Should have been way more comfortable for us after Dewsbury-Hall scored.

Da Silva goal was quality but the lack of press was annoying. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

First half was ours. Second half was yours @Danny. Should have been way more comfortable for us after Dewsbury-Hall scored.

Da Silva goal was quality but the lack of press was annoying. 

We were poor first half, no press at all, no cohesion between midfield and attack. The change to a back 3 really solidified things for us and then Dewsbury-Hall's goal came out of nowhere. What a strike that was.

Honestly so happy for Dasilva, he could have retired from this previous injury, it was all so up in the air but he's back out and scored the equaliser in our first game of the season. Great start.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Honestly so happy for Dasilva, he could have retired from this previous injury, it was all so up in the air but he's back out and scored the equaliser in our first game of the season. Great start.

Should have heeded your advice for FPL. Toyed with having him in cos you said he comes on and will score xD

We dropped off a cliff after the 2nd goal. Ndidi was poor all game, Maddison had a good first half, then looked shot 2nd half. Nothing would come off for him. 

Annoying we were in that position and still didn't win. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Should have heeded your advice for FPL. Toyed with having him in cos you said he comes on and will score xD

We dropped off a cliff after the 2nd goal. Ndidi was poor all game, Maddison had a good first half, then looked shot 2nd half. Nothing would come off for him. 

Annoying we were in that position and still didn't win. 

Haha I told you he's a steal for 4.5m.

You never want to lose a 2 goal lead but I think it was telling of the final score that you didn't particularly do a lot to get it in the first place. One well worked goal and once screamer, but not really one of those games where you have 3 or 4 clear cut in the box goal scoring chances and you put 2 of them away and can carry the momentum forward. Ultimately you never really looked like that and our tactical changes in the second half completely turned the game on it's head, Thomas Frank extremely quick to react, Rodgers not so much.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Haha I told you he's a steal for 4.5m.

You never want to lose a 2 goal lead but I think it was telling of the final score that you didn't particularly do a lot to get it in the first place. One well worked goal and once screamer, but not really one of those games where you have 3 or 4 clear cut in the box goal scoring chances and you put 2 of them away and can carry the momentum forward. Ultimately you never really looked like that and our tactical changes in the second half completely turned the game on it's head, Thomas Frank extremely quick to react, Rodgers not so much.

The subs changed the game in your favour. Rodgers didn't even react to that, let alone our tiring players. It wa so clear to see we were crying out for a change of shape or change of personnel to freshen things up and give us a bit more energy. He did nothing. Part of me thinks it was some kind of statement that he needed better depth. But it won't happen until players are sold. I think it was quite telling that Vestergaard and Soumare weren't on the bench. 

More telling was Fofana walking straight off the pitch at full time while everyone else stayed out. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

The subs changed the game in your favour. Rodgers didn't even react to that, let alone our tiring players. It wa so clear to see we were crying out for a change of shape or change of personnel to freshen things up and give us a bit more energy. He did nothing. Part of me thinks it was some kind of statement that he needed better depth. But it won't happen until players are sold. I think it was quite telling that Vestergaard and Soumare weren't on the bench. 

More telling was Fofana walking straight off the pitch at full time while everyone else stayed out. 

One thing that might go in your favour is that I'm not sure how many teams below the top 6/7 will be as flexible as we are defensively and offensively. We are completely prepared for the 5 sub rule, especially having taken a couple of beatings due to it in the Championship.

You do have genuine quality in the side but tbh I'm not sure playing a back 5 against sides you should be looking to play through is the best answer to your problems.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

One thing that might go in your favour is that I'm not sure how many teams below the top 6/7 will be as flexible as we are defensively and offensively. We are completely prepared for the 5 sub rule, especially having taken a couple of beatings due to it in the Championship.

You do have genuine quality in the side but tbh I'm not sure playing a back 5 against sides you should be looking to play through is the best answer to your problems.

It started off alright, but when you made your changes its like we were rabbits in headlights. We had good chances to attack in the space that Maddison had but he fluffed his lines too much and we just lacked ideas on how to capitalise on thag space.

Yoir flexibility will help this season. Many had you to go down last season and maybe this season but I think you'll be. fine.  Comfortably 10-12th I think 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

It started off alright, but when you made your changes its like we were rabbits in headlights. We had good chances to attack in the space that Maddison had but he fluffed his lines too much and we just lacked ideas on how to capitalise on thag space.

Yoir flexibility will help this season. Many had you to go down last season and maybe this season but I think you'll be. fine.  Comfortably 10-12th I think 

I've enjoyed watching some horrifically bad predictions/opinions on the club, I think we'll surprise everyone but ourselves this season.

Don't think your season will be that bad though, ultimately you have a lot of quality to keep you midtable and above.

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

I've enjoyed watching some horrifically bad predictions/opinions on the club, I think we'll surprise everyone but ourselves this season.

Don't think your season will be that bad though, ultimately you have a lot of quality to keep you midtable and above.

I do think that you'll surprise people too. Not that I think you'll finish top half or anything like that but I think you'll stay up where as a lot of people probably think you'll go down.

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I do think that you'll surprise people too. Not that I think you'll finish top half or anything like that but I think you'll stay up where as a lot of people probably think you'll go down.

Our first eleven is just packed with quality players who can all play this this level, not only that but we have players who can play multiple positions. Vitaly Janelt was signed to play as a no.8 initially, then played no.6 for most of our promotion achieving campaign, and has at the back end of last season and today played at left centre back. We have a large amount of flexibility in quality players throughout the squad and on top of that we now have 4 first choice centre backs for any Premier League club from 17th - 7th, not including the two midfielders who can drop in.

There was a moment today where we played with Wissa, Toney, Mbeumo, Lewis-Potter, Dasilva and the two wing backs. 5 out and out attacking players with wing backs on top, our flexibility allows us to really go for it in times of trouble and it's not something you'll see with a lot of clubs 10th downwards.

• Subscriber

I said it virtually all of last season, and I say it after just one game this season, but I really don't think it's going to get better again under this manager. It's just habitual at this point for us to throw points away and bottle it.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived