talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Boxing

football forum

3 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Any excuse to post the greatest round in Boxing History. 

RIP.

His life and boxing career and impact on the sport will continue to be celebrated.

What an era that was.

Hagler, Sugar Ray, Duran, Hearns, Barkley, Benitez, Minter etc.

Friday night fights that cost zilch on terrestrial tv.

Happy days. :congrats:

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

What an era that was.

Hagler, Sugar Ray, Duran, Hearns, Barkley, Benitez, Minter etc.

Friday night fights that cost zilch on terrestrial tv.

Happy days. :congrats:

I’ll never ever get bored of re watching old fights. 

2 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

I’ll never ever get bored of re watching old fights. 

Me neither, there are some great rivalries today but some of those rivalries from the 70's and 80's were the best.

btw if you are an Ali fan did you ever read "Facing Ali" by Stephen Brunt? A great read, 15 boxers who had fought Ali being interviewed about the fights and the way it changed their lives.

A great read.

• Subscriber

One of the greatest fight ever  'The Thriller in Manilla' Ali v 'Smoking Joe' Frazier.

Futch. "Joe, sit down, I'm going to stop it," he said. "No one will ever forget what you did here today." "No, no, you can't do that," Frazier protested. Deaf to the plea, Futch began to remove Frazier's gloves. In the opposite corner, an exhausted Muhammad Ali momentarily dropped to his knees in relief when it became clear that the contest was over. "It was like death. Closest thing to dyin' that I know of," he would say.

The date: 1 October 1975; the place: Quezon City.

21 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Who is your money on guys for this fight?

Depends really, if you believe the reports that Fury is back on the booze then I don't know what Fury we're going to get. 

A sharp focused Fury wins for me but I wouldn't discredit Joshua because he's bounced back from a pretty shocking defeat with two professional displays. 

Joshua is like a trained robot, he will have his game plan and that will involve knocking the Gypsy King out. Don't rule out a Joshua stoppage win but I'm going to go with a Fury win if he's on his game. 

• Subscriber
On 17/03/2021 at 10:55, Devil said:

Depends really, if you believe the reports that Fury is back on the booze then I don't know what Fury we're going to get. 

A sharp focused Fury wins for me but I wouldn't discredit Joshua because he's bounced back from a pretty shocking defeat with two professional displays. 

Joshua is like a trained robot, he will have his game plan and that will involve knocking the Gypsy King out. Don't rule out a Joshua stoppage win but I'm going to go with a Fury win if he's on his game. 

He isn’t on the booze. He’s talking shite like he’s done for the majority of his career.

21 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

He isn’t on the booze. He’s talking shite like he’s done for the majority of his career.

Yeah, I did think it was potential bullshit. 

Like the Instagram post jumping in the sea a few weeks back, he wanted people to be concerned with his weight to make them believe he won't be in condition on fight night. 

Who you got for the fight? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Devil said:

Yeah, I did think it was potential bullshit. 

Like the Instagram post jumping in the sea a few weeks back, he wanted people to be concerned with his weight to make them believe he won't be in condition on fight night. 

Who you got for the fight? 

It’s a genuine 50/50 fight. AJ is better than people give him credit for, he’s a good boxer. He has a better record than any other current heavyweight. 

I do really want AJ to win to be honest, but understand why Fury is the favourite. 

Yourself?

2 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

It’s a genuine 50/50 fight. AJ is better than people give him credit for, he’s a good boxer. He has a better record than any other current heavyweight. 

I do really want AJ to win to be honest, but understand why Fury is the favourite. 

Yourself?

I think a fit Fury is a better boxer but you really can't discredit Joshua's power can you. 

People will say Fury got up from the Wilder shot but the reality is he couldn't have been as hurt as you'd think from the way he went down because he'd have never got up. So based on that I'm still to see him really hurt in the ring where you would say he's out on his feet here. He even managed to rally in a fair amount of shots after the knockdown as well. 

Also Wilder isn't really a very good boxer is he, its all about landing that insane shot and then swarming his opponent. 

I still believe Fury will win though, for a big guy he moves around the ring so we'll and I doubt he will allow himself to get to drawn into much up close as he will be wary of Joshua's power.

59 minutes ago, Devil said:

I think a fit Fury is a better boxer but you really can't discredit Joshua's power can you. 

People will say Fury got up from the Wilder shot but the reality is he couldn't have been as hurt as you'd think from the way he went down because he'd have never got up. So based on that I'm still to see him really hurt in the ring where you would say he's out on his feet here. He even managed to rally in a fair amount of shots after the knockdown as well. 

Also Wilder isn't really a very good boxer is he, its all about landing that insane shot and then swarming his opponent. 

I still believe Fury will win though, for a big guy he moves around the ring so we'll and I doubt he will allow himself to get to drawn into much up close as he will be wary of Joshua's power.

Really? better in what way?, I love the way Fury gets the best out of what limited skills he has but if it comes down to boxing skills in the ring Fury has no chance whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

Really? better in what way?, I love the way Fury gets the best out of what limited skills he has but if it comes down to boxing skills in the ring Fury has no chance whatsoever.

Not sure if you're being serious if I'm honest. 

Fury can fight both southpaw and orphdox for a start, whilst admittedly Joshua is a more skilled fighter than most give him credit for you won't find many pros who would say he has half the boxing skill set as Tyson. 

They'd say he was the powerful puncher no doubt but that doesn't always win you boxing match. 

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Not sure if you're being serious if I'm honest. 

Fury can fight both southpaw and orphdox for a start, whilst admittedly Joshua is a more skilled fighter than most give him credit for you won't find many pros who would say he has half the boxing skill set as Tyson. 

They'd say he was the powerful puncher no doubt but that doesn't always win you boxing match. 

No I am serious. This could go either way but if it comes down to pure boxing skills I think Joshua has him beat. 

Fury is big, awkward and as you say can switch from a leftie to a righty, I'm certainly not dismissing him, I just don't see him beating Joshua.

Then again I didn't think Fury had a snowballs chance against Klitschko but he proved me wrong then too.

2 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

No I am serious. This could go either way but if it comes down to pure boxing skills I think Joshua has him beat. 

Fury is big, awkward and as you say can switch from a leftie to a righty, I'm certainly not dismissing him, I just don't see him beating Joshua.

Then again I didn't think Fury had a snowballs chance against Klitschko but he proved me wrong then too.

Exactly, Klitschko didn't get near him in fairness and I see him doing a similar job on Joshua. 

He ain't going to go mixing it up close and personal with AJ because he will end up in his arse at some point. 

If I'm honest I'm biased, Tyson originally trained at a gym 2 miles from my house and I know a few lads who have trained with him over the years. 

Fury on points or with a 10th round stoppage when AJ will be gassed. 

Just now, Devil said:

Exactly, Klitschko didn't get near him in fairness and I see him doing a similar job on Joshua. 

He ain't going to go mixing it up close and personal with AJ because he will end up in his arse at some point. 

If I'm honest I'm biased, Tyson originally trained at a gym 2 miles from my house and I know a few lads who have trained with him over the years. 

Fury on points or with a 10th round stoppage when AJ will be gassed. 

That's exactly why I don't see him winning this, if Fury wants to win he has to "mix it up" with Joshua and I don't see that ending well for Fury.

If it goes the distance I can't see Fury racking up enough points to be ahead on the cards.

My money is on Joshua outboxing Fury, and winning on points, if Fury tries to mix it up I think it's going to be curtains for Tyson.

11 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

What a story for Okolie. He’s improved so much, very happy for him. 

One of the nicest athletes I’ve met, at an event a few years back. 

Exellent performance last night, just seem to setting him up perfectly with the jab all fight. 

I've got to be honest I found him hard viewing until last night and couldn't understand the hype really.

Glad we have another world champion, brillaint for the lad. 

12 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Anyone watching Povetkin vs Whyte 2 this weekend?  ..the undercard looks a bit rubbish

Think Povetkin wins again.

I don't bother even looking at undercards these days. When they're 'stacked' you just know it's going to be home fighters up against a fella with no chance. Might miss the odd cracker of a fight but I don't waste as much time watching rubbish