talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

On 30/09/2019 at 09:35, SirBalon said:

To be fair a mojority of older people did vote to leave. 

I think it's ridiculous when people say our grandparents didn't fight in a war for us to be ruled by Europe. As if being in the EU by choice is the same as being ruled by Nazis Germany.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair a mojority of older people did vote to leave. 

I think it's ridiculous when people say our grandparents didn't fight in a war for us to be ruled by Europe. As if being in the EU by choice is the same as being ruled by Nazis Germany.

True, but the majority of those remaining from WWII overwhelmingly voted to remain. I saw a yougov stat not so long ago. They didn’t vote for the rhetoric being banded about. They know what they fought for and those using the name of that fight for their own xenophobic superiority complex ends know nothing. 

40 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

True, but the majority of those remaining from WWII overwhelmingly voted to remain. I saw a yougov stat not so long ago. They didn’t vote for the rhetoric being banded about. They know what they fought for and those using the name of that fight for their own xenophobic superiority complex ends know nothing. 

I didn't actually know that. One thing though the EU has done is kept peace. And when you have seen a world war, you care about that more than anything. They also probably like what they see as a united Europe. My nan was alive during the war and had she been alive I think she would have voted to remain.

I think it is very important though that we don't say all Brexit voters didn't know what they are voted for and are not intelligent enough. There were plenty of doctors, teachers, professors who voted to leave. There are people who had no idea what they were voting for but that is on both sides.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't actually know that. One thing though the EU has done is kept peace. And when you have seen a world war, you care about that more than anything. They also probably like what they see as a united Europe. My nan was alive during the war and had she been alive I think she would have voted to remain.

I think it is very important though that we don't say all Brexit voters didn't know what they are voted for and are not intelligent enough. There were plenty of doctors, teachers, professors who voted to leave. There are people who had no idea what they were voting for but that is on both sides.

My grandad was in the war and he was mortified that over half the country voted leave. My nan, though, his wife, voted leave. She also lived through the war. I wonder if the last years of his life were just constant political bickering.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Seeing as Brexit is more a sentimental and emotional belief for those that continue to maintain that we should leave the European Union, then what you're profession is has no relevance. You don't have to be thick to either be conditioned or be a racist xenophobe. Or are you saying intelligent (intellectuals) or professionals can't be that way inclined?

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Seeing as Brexit is more a sentimental and emotional belief for those that continue to maintain that we should leave the European Union, then what you're profession is has no relevance. You don't have to be thick to either be conditioned or be a racist xenophobe. Or are you saying intelligent (intellectuals) or professionals can't be that way inclined?

Even intelligent people can fall for complete bullshit sometimes - and I'm sure some intelligent people voted to leave because they fell for the same bullshit. I also think that there are people who have cash in their bank accounts that are ready to make some decent investments in the aftermath of Brexit chaos. Some people will be forced to sell their homes or have their homes foreclosed on, people with cash will buy that up. And in the long term, they'll end up having made more money than they lost in the Brexit chaos. So I could see some people just thinking "fuck it, I could do with some more rental income" and not really giving a shit about the economic health of the country and how many people will lose their jobs/homes/shit like that - a lot of people really only give a shit about themselves.

Then I think there's the people who voted purely on racist and xenophobic reasons and those people are absolutely not intelligent people.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Even intelligent people can fall for complete bullshit sometimes - and I'm sure some intelligent people voted to leave because they fell for the same bullshit. I also think that there are people who have cash in their bank accounts that are ready to make some decent investments in the aftermath of Brexit chaos. Some people will be forced to sell their homes or have their homes foreclosed on, people with cash will buy that up. And in the long term, they'll end up having made more money than they lost in the Brexit chaos. So I could see some people just thinking "fuck it, I could do with some more rental income" and not really giving a shit about the economic health of the country and how many people will lose their jobs/homes/shit like that - a lot of people really only give a shit about themselves.

Then I think there's the people who voted purely on racist and xenophobic reasons and those people are absolutely not intelligent people.

Agree with almost everything barring the end. I disagree that intelligent people can't be racist or xenophobic.  Quite the opposite actually seeing as some very infamous examples have had the nouce to convince plebs on believing their rhetoric. Another thing is if you reckon the manipulators weren't actually racist or/and xenophobic and were playing another self benefitting game. 

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Agree with almost everything barring the end. I disagree that intelligent people can't be racist or xenophobic.  Quite the opposite actually seeing as some very infamous examples have had the nouce to convince plebs on believing their rhetoric. Another thing is if you reckon the manipulators weren't actually racist or/and xenophobic and were playing another self benefitting game. 

I don't think being persuasive necessarily makes people smart though, tbh. There's plenty of evidence of very persuasive conmen... that eventually get caught because they're not all that bright in the first place.

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Clever people can definitely be racist. But some people voted to leave because they thought it was better for the country. Not all Brexiteers are racist.

• Subscriber

It says everything about this country right now that in the possible final month of this process, the Conservatives are having their party conference and telling everyone how they want to sort out Brexit without actually sorting out Brexit, while Jo Swinson will apparently refuse to back Corbyn as a temporary prime minister to stop no deal in the event that a no confidence movement against Boris is passed, even though the rest of the opposition parties are allegedly willing. Meanwhile the media are more interested in this thigh touching incident that may or may not have happened 20 years ago because it makes for a better soap opera than asking the government and parliament what the shit is supposed to be happening in less than 30 days.

To be fair to Boris, it looks like they'll at least try to make a new proposal to Brussels before the end of the month, but the opposition parties and Irish leaders are not at all in support of his rumoured ideas. Maybe the Tories know this and are just doing it for show though, couldn't say.

Boris simply has to ask for an extension, it was legally passed by the House of Commons. It's ridiculous that this will go on even longer but this is the result of the referendum failing to define what Brexit actually is all along.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the current model of the EU needs review because conflict is brewing. That's brewing in the form of a resurgent far right in many member nations. That's being brought about in large part because the prosperity is not being delivered, or more particularly not being delivered throughout all member nations. The single currency helps for example Germany maintain a low currency this making them highly competitive, whereas poorer nations that if not tied to the single currency would have a reducing dolla exchange rate that would counterbalance their economic woe and make them more competitive. 

The needs to be some more honest conversations on this area and a bit more expectation management.

She is so full of herself, isn't she? She rejoices at all the wrong things. If this is a winning discourse, the outbidding dynamics between Tories and UKIP/BrexitParty has tilted the UK strongly towards a political landscape where only far right nativism can be competitive.

Edited by Kowabunga
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

She is so full of herself, isn't she? She rejoices at all the wrong things. If this is a winning discourse, the outbidding dynamics between Tories and UKIP/BrexitParty has tilted the UK strongly towards a political landscape where only far right nativism can be competitive.

She is getting slated for it from all quarters (obviously not from the far right contingent) this morning. I particularly liked Sid Lowe's tweet early this morning relating to this bitch.

Continuong on the theme that Brexit is an English thing and tha it's also a thing to those that believe in colonialism and have a dellusional belief on the existence of English exceptionalism of an Empire long gone. Here we have someone that puts things right on what the Republic of Ireland is and means.

EIRE OWES ENGLAND NOTHING!

The REPUBLIC OF IRELAND is a part of the European Union and the EU owes its duties to defend Irish interests. The UK cannot dictate nothing at all to Eire.

After appauding like they were possesed by demons at Priti Patel's fascist xenophobic and authoritarian speech, they went back into their natural catatonic like mode.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a sample of the democratic system that has given us our unelected Prime Minister Boris Johnson. The people that want to take away our future generations' rights and freedoms!

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

After appauding like they were possesed by demons at Priti Patel's fascist xenophobic and authoritarian speech, they went back into their natural catatonic like mode.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a sample of the democratic system that has given us our unelected Prime Minister Boris Johnson. The people that want to take away our future generations' rights and freedoms!

image.jpeg

B-bu-but non-white woman can't be racist, fascist or xenophobic, because white men have all the power. Therefore YOU ARE RACIST AND SEXIST. Didn't you learn your feminism 101? 9_9

:ph34r:

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion
  • The topic was pinned