The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Japan 1-2(p) Croatia - Monday 5th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
16 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Honestly - I haven’t watched either team play yet so really not sure. Would love a Japan win though. 

If Japan can take the approach and attitude from their Germany/Spain wins, then I'd back them to overcome Croatia.

I know Croatia needed to only avoid defeat against Belgium, who were shite, but they struggled against Morocco too. Canada were very open so the game was there for the taking, but Japan seem to have more discipline and stronger shape. I think it'll be a close, narrow game regardless.

• Subscriber

Think Japan edge past Croatia here. When I watched Croatia play Belgium there was a certain lack of finishing power up top and Japan have a defensive unit that can play very good when they are challenged to do so.

The real question for Japan is what version of their team shows up on the day. They are prone to a lot of errors in their midfield game and forcing situations that really don't need to be forced. If Croatia score more than a goal in the first half it will be very hard for Japan to recover.  

Everything's gone as expected in the round of 16 so far. Would be nice to get at least one upset. Croatia are a smart side though and they'll be favourites but can't count out this Japan side. Hopefully Japan actually start the game well this time rather than rely on the bench to save then again.

On 02/12/2022 at 10:01, Mel81x said:

Think Japan edge past Croatia here. When I watched Croatia play Belgium there was a certain lack of finishing power up top and Japan have a defensive unit that can play very good when they are challenged to do so.

The real question for Japan is what version of their team shows up on the day. They are prone to a lot of errors in their midfield game and forcing situations that really don't need to be forced. If Croatia score more than a goal in the first half it will be very hard for Japan to recover.  

I agree, I also think Japan will win this one. 

Croatia is a good team but most of their players are big and slow. IMO they won't be able to match Japan's energy. 

• Administrator

2nd time Croatia have got in behind and then made the wrong decision.

Petkovic almost blind to the fact he had a strike partner busting a gut waiting for the cross.

• Administrator

Very even game - Jenas, surprisingly, made a good point in that it'll probably remain cagey or 'go the distance' into extra-time because the attacking quality of both sides leaves a lot to be desired.

Both sides have a lot of the ball in midfield. 

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Japan 1-0 Croatia - Monday 5th December, 2022
  • Subscriber

This Japanese team has learned from its mistakes. Against Spain they were simply being dragged around and not really applying pressure and while Croatia is slower compared to the Spaniards you have to admire the work ethic on display here. Some of the recoveries from lost positions has been a great watch. 

• The title was changed to Round of 16 - Japan 1-1 Croatia - Monday 5th December, 2022
  • The title was changed to Round of 16 - Japan 1-2(p) Croatia - Monday 5th December, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived