talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What is your monthly average electricity consumption?

football forum

Average monthly consumption  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How many kWh/month do you typically use?

• <100 kWh
    • 100-199 kWh
    • 200-299 kWh
    • 300-399 kWh
    • 400-500 kWh
    • >500 kWh

• Subscriber

Just paid my bills today, so got curious... 

It will obviously depend on the size of the household and other factors, so some details to go along with the answer would be cool! Also, how much are you paying for a kWh?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I average around 340 kWh per month at $0.16 kWh. They also add some bullshit charges like "electricity delivery charge" and "wildfire adjustment" (because they were found to be responsible for so many wildfires they have to pay fines, so they pass that cost onto customers). Also during the summer they increase fees. Also during the winter they increase fees lol.

• Subscriber

It's all bloody double dutch to me, the wife has been pretty good really as she hates the cold but I can handle it so she has been keeping a steady eye on the electric and gas usage and is walking around with a winter dressing gown on. xD

Electric: 36.61 p/k Wh 56.94 p/day.
Gas: 11.06 p/k Wh 33.54 p/day.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I average around 340 kWh per month at $0.16 kWh. They also add some bullshit charges like "electricity delivery charge" and "wildfire adjustment" (because they were found to be responsible for so many wildfires they have to pay fines, so they pass that cost onto customers). Also during the summer they increase fees. Also during the winter they increase fees lol.

Air conditioning included, I take it? 

I moved into a new place a few months ago, and have been averaging 120 kWh per month (at $0.25/kWh)... Expected a much higher number for the last month as it's been by far hotter than earlier, so I've been using the aircon a lot more too, but ended with 119 kWh again haha. It also helps that I cook with gas and have solar water heater though.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Air conditioning included, I take it? 

I moved into a new place a few months ago, and have been averaging 120 kWh per month (at $0.25/kWh)... Expected a much higher number for the last month as it's been by far hotter than earlier, so I've been using the aircon a lot more too, but ended with 119 kWh again haha. It also helps that I cook with gas and have solar water heater though.

Yeah with AC, probably the "San Diego summer months" (August, September, October) push my average up quite a bit because it got quite hot and humid this year. Also my kitchen's all electric (which tbh I miss having a gas stove) & the water heater is gas powered.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah with AC, probably the "San Diego summer months" (August, September, October) push my average up quite a bit because it got quite hot and humid this year. Also my kitchen's all electric (which tbh I miss having a gas stove) & the water heater is gas powered.

Out of interest, what is your AC generally set to when you use it? As in, what temperature lol. Preferably in Celsius xD Also, do you have those typical simple wall mounted ones, or do they generally use those more fancy and efficient central AC in the US?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Out of interest, what is your AC generally set to when you use it? As in, what temperature lol. Preferably in Celsius xD Also, do you have those typical simple wall mounted ones, or do they generally use those more fancy and efficient central AC in the US?

I've got a fancy AC - it's pretty great. I think it depends on where you're living/how old the building you're living in is as to what sort of AC you've got. Like in NYC, I think many flats/condos have the window/wall AC units. On the West Coast more stuff is built more recently - so if you've got AC you've probably got central if you're there.

I do not understand Farenheit despite living here for however many years, so I keep it in Celcius mode xD - my wife always changes it back, but whenever I'm near the thermostat I change it to C because otherwise I don't understand. It's usually set to 22

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've got a fancy AC - it's pretty great. I think it depends on where you're living/how old the building you're living in is as to what sort of AC you've got. Like in NYC, I think many flats/condos have the window/wall AC units. On the West Coast more stuff is built more recently - so if you've got AC you've probably got central if you're there.

I do not understand Farenheit despite living here for however many years, so I keep it in Celcius mode xD - my wife always changes it back, but whenever I'm near the thermostat I change it to C because otherwise I don't understand. It's usually set to 22

Yeah, I once accidentally pushed some buttons on the AC remote and it changed the mode to Fahrenheit... the worst part, I didn't even know which buttons I pushed, so it took me a while to figure out how to change it back xD 

22 :o Don't you find the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures too large when it's truly hot outside? I keep mine at 27 lol

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah, I once accidentally pushed some buttons on the AC remote and it changed the mode to Fahrenheit... the worst part, I didn't even know which buttons I pushed, so it took me a while to figure out how to change it back xD 

22 :o Don't you find the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures too large when it's truly hot outside? I keep mine at 27 lol

It's mostly around 22 degrees here at all times, other than October-September (when it gets hotter than 22 and I wish it would be closer to 22) or November-February where it's usually a bit colder.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's mostly around 22 degrees here at all times, other than October-September (when it gets hotter than 22 and I wish it would be closer to 22) or November-February where it's usually a bit colder.

Haha, for some reason, I thought it's much, much hotter than that 😅 so now I'm really confused, why would you even need an AC when it's less than 25 xD Humidity, I guess...

• Administrator

For this month it was 177/kwh - approx £60

Standing charge being 37.96/day - £12

That was for November, bit higher for this month as the days become shorter and we both work from home.

Thankfully in a lot of credit as we budgeted over summer and kept our DD high.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wildfire Adjustment 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, for some reason, I thought it's much, much hotter than that 😅 so now I'm really confused, why would you even need an AC when it's less than 25 xD Humidity, I guess...

Yeah the humidity. I never have it on in the spring tbh, because there's no point. I can just open the windows and get a nice breeze going. After spring though it can get pretty bad with humidity.

If I lived a bit further from the ocean, I think it'd be a lot hotter though and I'd probably be using it all the time.

• Subscriber

I leave the controls to the wife which suits both of us and Liz has set this control up which is not too bad, as I don't like the heat this setting rises to a certain temp. then cuts off for a while, this doe's me but if Liz had her own way it would be a lot higher, xD I think this is just under 20c (67f).

istockphoto-1160979608-612x612.jpg

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

For this month it was 177/kwh - approx £60

Standing charge being 37.96/day - £12

That was for November, bit higher for this month as the days become shorter and we both work from home.

Thankfully in a lot of credit as we budgeted over summer and kept our DD high.

I assume a standing charge is some sort of a service fee for the privilege of being connected to a network?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

That seems like a very high standing charge per day?

It is but we are looking around for a cheaper setup (company), we have left that one down to the son/daughter who are looking around and dealing with it, the company we had before were right arseholes.

Now that it is 3 degrees outside I just woke up to see it has cost £7 to keep the house at 16 degrees through the night and 18 for waking up. 

£12.54 on gas yesterday alone.

Add the electricity and it's £16 a day at the minute. With the cold to be here for another 3 months that's going to be £1440.

I'm currently on a direct debit of £195 a month 😂 shit. Will have underpaid at the end of this winter by £855.

It could still get worse when it goes to minus outside.

It was nice knowing you all. See you in the deep recession.

6 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Now that it is 3 degrees outside I just woke up to see it has cost £7 to keep the house at 16 degrees through the night and 18 for waking up. 

£12.54 on gas yesterday alone.

Add the electricity and it's £16 a day at the minute. With the cold to be here for another 3 months that's going to be £1440.

I'm currently on a direct debit of £195 a month 😂 shit. Will have underpaid at the end of this winter by £855.

It could still get worse when it goes to minus outside.

It was nice knowing you all. See you in the deep recession.

I try and tend to freeze my tits off during the day and just wrap up. However, when the kids are at home from school or nursery, we try and keep it around 17 and then knock it off at night as we’ve got plenty of covers. Paying £170 a month right now me reckon it’ll be closer to £250/£300 by March. 

16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I try and tend to freeze my tits off during the day and just wrap up. However, when the kids are at home from school or nursery, we try and keep it around 17 and then knock it off at night as we’ve got plenty of covers. Paying £170 a month right now me reckon it’ll be closer to £250/£300 by March. 

Think I'll move mine down to 17 during the day.

I've been moving the thermostat around the house for a month experimenting with where doesn't make it come on all the time. 

Problem with going low is I went away one weekend and the heating was off, house dropped to 13 degrees and the laminating flooring started warping from the sharp temperature change.

5 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Think I'll move mine down to 17 during the day.

I've been moving the thermostat around the house for a month experimenting with where doesn't make it come on all the time. 

Problem with going low is I went away one weekend and the heating was off, house dropped to 13 degrees and the laminating flooring started warping from the sharp temperature change.

Jesus, didn’t think it would do that at 13 to be fair. It’s still not being taking seriously (the energy crisis). I think once I’m knocking on doors in January and finding dead people, the government might need to start taking notice. That might seem extreme but I’m already genuinely seeing people just sat in covers without the heating on all day and definitely not on at night when they’re sleeping (mostly downstairs in chairs). Combine that with a host of medical conditions and disabilities and they’re basically fucked.

Went to the in laws yesterday. Thermostat set at a heady 22 and the windows were open in the front room as it was ‘a bit warm’.

But yes, include these people in the extra £200 a year heating grant because they’re over 65 and on gold plated pensions…..

Archived