talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would becoming a millionaire change you as a person?

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

So for those of you that didn’t know, I hit 5 numbers and the bonus back in 2008 with work. Nothing life changing but an amount that immediately saw me able to have a once in a lifetime holiday, buy a few things for the house etc. However, my cousin immediately rang me and asked to ‘lend’ him over 1k for something. People need to get in the bin.

Obviously you won a nice sum but not a figure that change your life forever, if I did win a huge sum I'd potentially move away, change my mobile number and contact only the people who cared enough to be part of my life when I lived an ordinary life.

23 minutes ago, Devil said:

Obviously you won a nice sum but not a figure that change your life forever, if I did win a huge sum I'd potentially move away, change my mobile number and contact only the people who cared enough to be part of my life when I lived an ordinary life.

It changed my life for about 6 months! It was 5k, enough to get myself a PS3 at the time and a mega west coast 3 week US holiday with the Mrs. Not enough that you start handing out money to family though xD

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

It changed my life for about 6 months! It was 5k, enough to get myself a PS3 at the time and a mega west coast 3 week US holiday with the Mrs. Not enough that you start handing out money to family though xD

Did he think you'd won a lot more?

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Did he think you'd won a lot more?

Not sure, I wasn’t about to tell anyone how much tbf. This is a lad that asked me to get a credit card in my name once to clear his debt. And yes, he got told to go fuck himself. We hardly speak anymore.

15 hours ago, MUFC said:

You give to some mates and relations. You can keep quiet about the money but the problem is that somebody you gave to will gob it and tell people.

I'd probably give my family some, you'd gain a lot of friends overnight though wouldn't you 😂

I'd give a good chunk to the local hospice that cared for my grandparents during their final weeks and buy a new house but other than that I'd like to think it wouldn't change a great deal.

26 minutes ago, N U F C said:

I'd probably give my family some, you'd gain a lot of friends overnight though wouldn't you 😂

I'd give a good chunk to the local hospice that cared for my grandparents during their final weeks and buy a new house but other than that I'd like to think it wouldn't change a great deal.

The old I'd give a few mates and family members a few quid thought of process has surely changed since when winning the lottery actually set you up for life.

Reality is if you won a million to two million once you'd bought your expensive property in the UK and maybe one abroad, the car and started to enjoy your expensive new lifestyle. It won't seem as much as you thought it was before. 

So the idea of just handing out cash will be less appealing as you will want to maintain that lifestyle.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Devil said:

The old I'd give a few mates and family members a few quid thought of process has surely changed since when winning the lottery actually set you up for life.

Reality is if you won a million to two million once you'd bought your expensive property in the UK and maybe one abroad, the car and started to enjoy your expensive new lifestyle. It won't seem as much as you thought it was before. 

So the idea of just handing out cash will be less appealing as you will want to maintain that lifestyle.

Precisely the reason I'd try and (wisely) invest in some things. Stocks and shares is risky (even more so in the current climate). But I'd probably invest in property so there's a steady income - be it UK or abroad. Could get away with perhaps 2-3 properties to start with and have a small portfolio to begin with.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Precisely the reason I'd try and (wisely) invest in some things. Stocks and shares is risky (even more so in the current climate). But I'd probably invest in property so there's a steady income - be it UK or abroad. Could get away with perhaps 2-3 properties to start with and have a small portfolio to begin with.

Student dwellings, turn a house into four or five bedrooms, cheap kitchen, cheap furniture, stick a damage clause in the contract and your laughing all the way to the bank.

Summer comes round rip out the kitchen, replace with another cheap kitchen, paint the walls, deep clean the carpet you go again.

That's the route I'd go down, wouldn't even touch the properties myself either. Through the people I know I'd just get a dedicated kitchen fitter, painter and decorator and an odd job man for any repairs throughout the year. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Devil said:

Student dwellings, turn a house into four or five bedrooms, cheap kitchen, cheap furniture, stick a damage clause in the contract and your laughing all the way to the bank.

Summer comes round rip out the kitchen, replace with another cheap kitchen, paint the walls, deep clean the carpet you go again.

That's the route I'd go down, wouldn't even touch the properties myself either. Through the people I know I'd just get a dedicated kitchen fitter, painter and decorator and an odd job man for any repairs throughout the year. 

I'd probably shy away from student dwellings. Whilst there's no guarantee any tenant will be a good one, I think you'd get more security and less hassle from a family or more settled residents. Definitely want something where you wouldn't want to be involved too much. Plus with a family it's likely you could get more longevity out of it and have consistent rent. 

And not have to regularly replace/repair stuff. 

Having worked in housing I know all the legal stuff so they won't be able to mess with me or pull the wool over my eyes xD

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd probably shy away from student dwellings. Whilst there's no guarantee any tenant will be a good one, I think you'd get more security and less hassle from a family or more settled residents. Definitely want something where you wouldn't want to be involved too much. Plus with a family it's likely you could get more longevity out of it and have consistent rent. 

Having worked in housing I know all the legal stuff so they won't be able to mess with me or pull the wool over my eyes xD

I'd buy and sell houses. Renting has never appealed to me. Can do the preparation work myself, gut the place. Get the workers in to do their bit and sell at profit if possible.

Saying that, doesn't it take longer now to sell houses?

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Depends on where you're buying really, properties in certain areas of Manchester and Liverpool I could own two or three properties to your one.

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Not sure, I wasn’t about to tell anyone how much tbf. This is a lad that asked me to get a credit card in my name once to clear his debt. And yes, he got told to go fuck himself. We hardly speak anymore.

I'll knock the prick out.

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

I'd buy and sell houses. Renting has never appealed to me. Can do the preparation work myself, gut the place. Get the workers in to do their bit and sell at profit if possible.

Depends on the areas really, I've sold two houses in the last 6 years. Got offers on both houses on the first day of viewings.

The airport and transport links to Manchester have made my area of Manchester the fastest growing property values in the UK at one point.

Yet my mate has a house in Wigan and he can't shift it at all.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Depends on the housing climate and process. Right now, prices are quite high and interest rates have slowed the market down. Until the market settles (perhaps in 6-9 months?) you probably won't see prices come down significantly. 

7 minutes ago, Devil said:

Depends on where you're buying really, properties in certain areas of Manchester and Liverpool I could own two or three properties to your one.

True. I do have a good eye for a bargain though! 

Archived