talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your history of going to the cinema?

football forum

I think the last film I saw in the cinema was the first of the Disney Star Wars. I used to love going to the cinema... I don't really care for it now. I'd rather just watch films at home.

No idea what the first film I saw at a cinema was.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Theres just some films that have to be seen in theatres; Dunkirk, Dune and Avatar's come to mind in recent years. One of the first movies I remember seeing was Broken Arrow and the most recent was John Wick 4. I usually go a few times a year when im looking for something to do and in summers for some nice relaxing AC. 

• Subscriber

Going back to when I was a wee nipper growing up in Tilbury docks, the cinema we had there was called the 'Bug House', my old man would give me a penny which got me in plus sweets and whatnot, I even had change after to go to the local shop and get a farthings worth of broken biscuits.

51 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Going back to when I was a wee nipper growing up in Tilbury docks, the cinema we had there was called the 'Bug House', my old man we give me a penny which got me in plus sweets and whatnot, I even had change after to go to the local shop and get a farthings worth of broken biscuits.

@Bluewolf would be the only to remember getting change with a penny

I don't even remember the first film I saw in the cinema. Something Disney member? The first I actually remember is Space Jam. 

The last I've watched in cinema was definitely The Batman. I almost always to the cinema alone these days, because I like to watch films in their original language, but dubbing is a thing here and I'd say 99% of the people watch films dubbed. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Spike said:

Back in my days and @Bluewolf, getting tuppence (2 penny's) was 8 farthings which we thought we were millionaires, that would last us a good 3/4 days.

I can remember my uncle called once and gave me £5 to buy some toys for me and my brother, a fiver in them days was worth around £148.84 in today's money.

12 hours ago, Spike said:

8 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Back in my days and @Bluewolf, getting tuppence (2 penny's) was 8 farthings which we thought we were millionaires, that would last us a good 3/4 days.

I can remember my uncle called once and gave me £5 to buy some toys for me and my brother, a fiver in them days was worth around £148.84 in today's money.

I remember being able to go the cinema on a Saturday morning for 50p. It was a ritual when I was a kid and gave the parents a breather for half the morning.. We used to watch Godzilla movies and Flash Gordon and Woody Woodpecker cartoons.. You used to get the girls who wandered up and down selling choc ices and orange drinks during the intervals on them trays.. Hundreds of kids used to fill the place up It was mayhem! xD

christmas movies gremlins GIF

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

You used to get the girls who wandered up and down selling choc ices and orange drinks during the intervals on them trays.. Hundreds of kids used to fill the place up It was mayhem! xD

Those were the days, getting the choc ices at the interval, trying to sneak a sly cig and the usher would come up and give you a clip around the ears, kids from the top balcony tossing juice down from the top on your head, a laugh a minute. xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Those were the days, getting the choc ices at the interval, trying to sneak a sly cig and the usher would come up and give you a clip around the ears, kids from the top balcony tossing juice down from the top on your head, a laugh a minute. xD

We called it the 'Bug House' as there were bugs crawling around everywhere but we did not give a toss as it was our cinema in them days, loved every Saturday come rain, snow or thunder. :x

17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yea, you always hoped you would get the upper balcony so you could throw popcorn and stuff down at the others below... xD

It costs us £4.99 to go to Vue Cinema's which is a 10min drive. Parking is free and we've no complaints with it at all.

There is a Showcase Cinema like 15mins the other way which has all your brand spanking features but costs like triple to quadruple the ticket. Fuck that.

We probably go on average four or five times over the year. Last year for example, we saw The Batman, Top Gun Maverick, Jurassic World Dominion and Avatar 2.

This year, we actually went first time Saturday to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

I have a feeling the first film my parents took me to see at the Cinema was either Honey I shrunk the Kids or The Little Mermaid. Can't remember which one would have been first.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2023 at 14:21, Bluewolf said:

We used to go to the Odeon cinema in Surbiton... 

Odeon Surbiton in Surbiton, GB - Cinema Treasures

There used to be another one in Surbiton up the hill but it was smaller and catered for more adult stuff... 

Love the fact it's in Black and White xD

Remember taking a date to the cinema and being really sad booking the back row as that was where you were supposed to sit with your girl so you could kiss in private.

Not the most romantic film, The Spy who snagged me Austin Powers.

Took another date to see Black Hawk down, she hated it unsurprisingly.

Archived