talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

football forum

Fair play to Spain, whatever disagreements & fall outs there have been, they performed well.

Hemp missed chances she has been putting away.

Lauren James was popping them in from wing-CAM, but gets asked to play LWB.

England have Russo, and record breaking 22 in 22 league games Rachel Daly. But finish with 2 totally different players up top. 1 of them the big lump of a CB.

Wiegman, for all appreciation of the trophy they did win, has had a dubious tournament & a nightmare of a final.

Bronze had an assist in the penalty. She stood the side it went. Not the greatest England look.

Toone seemed to freeze.

Stanway & Walsh just were not at the same level in the middle.

But.. 2 semis & 1 final of last 3 women's world cups. The Euro win. Many young players.

And football as a whole, the men with 1 semi, 1 final & 1 quarter in their last 3.

Both England sides are regularly at the business end in recent times. No reason to believe a 2nd win is a million miles away.

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

Okay, atrocious is a tad hard for the start of the game. But I maintain that it was a very poor performance to be bringing to the final. I understand Spain were very good, but England made it easy for them for a lot of that game with the panicky and rash play. The ref didn’t help being a right biased bastard either. 

Mate that is such a skewed view of the game. Spain were just a clear level above us in everything we done, they were better technically, their passing patterns and off the ball work superior, their agility, strength, pace and stamina. Just everything. When you go up against a team like that, this late into the tournament it will eventually look like you’re playing sloppy, because Spain were just too good and their quality made is sloppy.

We were so good against Australia but part of that is because as a team we are just superior and had other gears to step into that they didn’t. But today those gears don’t look good enough because of what Spain have to offer.

It’s like when Man Utd dominated England and were touted as the best side in the world, but then they went up against Pep’s Barce and from the manager down to every player on the pitch were just dominated by a superior force. All of a sudden the basics become much harder to do because the opposition raise the standards for what the basics should be.

We got really sloppy in the last 20 minutes today, but the girls just ran out of steam and Spain’s defensive structure, time wasting, drawing of fouls, use of wing player and general game management made it all seem worse.

• Subscriber

Best team won. Simple as that, and it should have been more than 1-0. England were sloppy and average. 

The way the British media and pundits were  writing off Spain like this was a foregone conclusion was embarrassing. 

The other team can be better & you can have a game below your own standards. They aren’t exclusive, and that’s what happened today.

Spain were better on the ball. They found eachother, actually passed the pass properly and they defended together. I thought England looked poor on the ball all game, the passing was really poor and the players weren’t finding eachother especially in the middle of the pitch. That Bronze run and loss of the ball summed up the performance entirely. 

• Subscriber

In a way I am glad I was wrong about how easy this could have been for England. Its not like they didnt have chances and a goal at the end of the first half and this game totally changes for England. It just never came and even when Spain scored you sort of felt there was a last chance in the game. Congratulations to Spain for becoming World Champions. 

Bonmati is some player have to say.

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ew, I completely missed that. Spain's FA boss kissed Jenni Hermoso on the mouth. 🤢

Yes, it seems he has some very odd ideas in general.

The more you read into him, the sadder it is that he shares in the glory.

15 of the squad put in a letter of complaint about him.

I have just been searching into him, and quickly found suggestion that odd rules have included no hotel room doors locked before midnight. So he can check in & give them the ok. And bags being fully emptied out as some kind of search.

Compare & contrast to England's women 1st choice kit, by popular player request, wearing dark blue shorts rather than white.

• Wow 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It's becoming very clear now why so many Spanish players were withdrawing and protesting the national team. Fucking hell. I hope things do get better for them. 

Yes. If I imagine being head coach of a female team, I would probably think to have set times of when everyone should expect any team talks to happen. If they are before or after any showers & changing room things. 

I think the Spanish manager was not the only story either. Can not remember which one, but fairly sure the coach of one of the African nations was accused of something inappropriate during the tournament.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Yes. If I imagine being head coach of a female team, I would probably think to have set times of when everyone should expect any team talks to happen. If they are before or after any showers & changing room things. 

I think the Spanish manager was not the only story either. Can not remember which one, but fairly sure the coach of one of the African nations was accused of something inappropriate during the tournament.

The Zambia coach. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Tommy said:

44 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think it goes much deeper than just that kiss and the Spanish Union should sack the nutter and replace him.

Agreed.

I saw a headline this morning, I think it was from the newspaper AS, that they said Hermoso is letting Rubiales fall. I was stunned at their take. Granted, only the headline was seen and perhaps the article says different. But even so, bizarre.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

Agreed.

I saw a headline this morning, I think it was from the newspaper AS, that they said Hermoso is letting Rubiales fall. I was stunned at their take. Granted, only the headline was seen and perhaps the article says different. But even so, bizarre.

I think it would have been very different had Spain not won the WC honestly. The newspapers are running with what gets them the best amount of readership and its a little silly. Still, its good that Hermoso didn't let it go because based on a twitter thread that someone posted on here a while back it seems like the Spanish Union love letting this guys trangressions go unnoticed and they just move him around. I'd be shocked if they didn't do something about the accusations but based on the history its very unlikely anything is going to happen.

• Administrator

Okay now he's just being an absolute thundercunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66609945

Luis Rubiales has refused to step down as Spanish football federation president following his actions during Sunday's Women's World Cup final.

Rubiales, 46, kissed forward Jenni Hermoso on the lips after Spain's 1-0 victory over England.

He had earlier grabbed his crotch as he celebrated at the final whistle.

Rubiales apologised for the kiss on Monday before Fifa, world football's governing body, opened disciplinary proceedings against him on Thursday.

• Angry 1

• Administrator

And it gets even more bizarre

Thread here almost bemoaning and laughing at the fact people thought he would resign. He's taking the absolute piss. I hope the authorities come down on him like a ton of bricks.

The fact that Vilda & de la Fuente are also in his camp speaks volumes about the culture within Spanish FA. All in some kind of lads group and will back each other to save themselves and their jobs.

• Upvote 2

• The topic was unpinned