The better place to talk football.

Daniel Farke - New Leeds Manager

football forum

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Who would you prefer out of them two ?

You know what mate, complete honest anwser here...neither get me excited.

Maybe it's because my view is tainted from the negativity surrounding Rodgers on here and the fact he's coming off what happened at Leicester.

Regarding Farke, I see a guy that's managed to achieve two promotions out this league which is fair, but just cannot crack it any further. Do we teally want that or do we want someone that can take us on beyond just a promotion?

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Rodgers in the Championship would be seen as a coup and you'd like to think he'll have the credentials to get us out. Equally, Farke probably never got the backing he needed at Noreich once they were promoted to give them a fair fight of staying up, if anything, they crippled him by selling Buendia and things like that, where as, that just wouldn't happen at Leeds, you'd expect us to back the manager if we got promoted.

I think a lot will depend on what Celtic do anyway, sounds like they have interviewed both too and may ultimately get the pick of what they prefer. If you are picking between the two, I think Leeds would be the harder sell because of where we are currently. We'll see.

• Subscriber

I'm not really sure Brendan Rodgers is what you need. I'm quite against him now but I'm not convinced he'll fix you. He's no builder. He very much took something that was good at Leicester - admittedly utilised it far better than the previous manager but over time we ceded more and more power to him and things went to pot.

I do wonder how often what happened in his last year would happen at other clubs if they didn't pull the trigger. He should've gone as early as Scott Parker went from Bournemouth. The level of underperformance we tolerated, and seemingly still do amazes me.

14 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm not really sure Brendan Rodgers is what you need. I'm quite against him now but I'm not convinced he'll fix you. He's no builder. He very much took something that was good at Leicester - admittedly utilised it far better than the previous manager but over time we ceded more and more power to him and things went to pot.

I do wonder how often what happened in his last year would happen at other clubs if they didn't pull the trigger. He should've gone as early as Scott Parker went from Bournemouth. The level of underperformance we tolerated, and seemingly still do amazes me.

Yeah, can't say I was ever excited about the thought of Rodgers but it does appear he's set for Celtic anyway.

It's probably going to be Farke. It's not official yet, but looks like we are going to appoint Stuart Webber as our new Sporting Director from Norwich to replace Victor Orta. Leeds fan, would love to join the club and has made his feelings known to the Norwich board.

You'd think if that happens, Farke would be a shoe in to reunite with him.

I can't say I'm totally sold on that one but on the flipside, I'd not have predicted Kompany, Heckingbottom and Rob Edwards becoming promotion winning managers and yet, here we are.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Phil the new manager will be Farke.  I guess he's been consulted on squad planning and the club has already negotiated terms for Farke's backroom staff.  Just waiting on the EFL to pull their finger out and approve the takeover.  As it stands they would need Radz to approve the appointment, which could still happen, but the 49ers would rather wait for the EFL.

I'm ok with Farke. Could have been better maybe, could have been worse.

End of the day, we are getting someone who knows what it takes to get out the league twice and he knows English football well. He has always been a likeable bloke and I can see the fans getting behind him unlike the likes of Marsch, Gracia and Big Sam.

Hard work starts from Wednesday. The fitness levels have to be upped and as Farke loved that possesion based, high pressing game at Norwich, he will have to work them hard to get them at the level he wants.

He played a 4-2-3-1 with Norwich so I'd expect similar here, but he puts a lot of onus on the width which we've sorely missed since Bielsa. Full backs especially. Bodes well when you think we have some great wide players in this league if they stay. Drameh could really excel as could someone like Rutter. 

I am a bit worried that we've no new signings yet however I'm hopeful we might be able to keep a few players that perhaps we didn't think was initially possible.

Not saying we will but it's be a massive boost to have the likes of Gnonto, Summerville and Rutter at this level (he needs it really for confidence). Long way to go in the window but it's not impossible. Doubt we'll get to keep Tyler Adams mind.

Joffy looks in really good shape, been doing lots of work in the off season and has made it clear he wants to play. Could be a massive breakout season for him after a bit if experience at Sunderland last season. Matteo Joseph, Sonny Perkins, Darko Gyabi and Archie Gray are all potential breakout stars too. Gray could have an impact a bit like Jack Clarke when Bielsa suddenly thrust him in.

Cody Drameh and Charlie Cresswell are two players ready to start in this league after their spells at Luton and Millwall, and Stuart Dallas is back to add much needed experience with your Ayling's, Cooper's and Bamford's so there are positives to work with for Farke.

He probably needs a 10 to play that playmaker Buendia role, and I think he'll want a striker too. But Left back is an absolute must for Farke's system for sure.

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

I never quite understood how you could be that good in the Championship and that bad in the Premier League as Farke.

I didn't follow Norwich closely enough but for me they never spent enough to give it a fair go. They seemed to be content to spend low and accept if they didn't survive, they would be in good shape to bounce back. 

The second season, they went up, they sold Buendia to Villa which was a hammer blow and something obviously went pair-shaped with Cantwell. Don't think they ever stood a chance before a ball was kicked and so it proved early doors.

If we went up, I think we'd back Farke but whether he had the tactical nous to combat better sides I don't know, and that is ultimately my fear with appointing him.

We'll see. First objective is to get out of here, his credentials from that point of view are decent.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I didn't follow Norwich closely enough but for me they never spent enough to give it a fair go. They seemed to be content to spend low and accept if they didn't survive, they would be in good shape to bounce back. 

The second season, they went up, they sold Buendia to Villa which was a hammer blow and something obviously went pair-shaped with Cantwell. Don't think they ever stood a chance before a ball was kicked and so it proved early doors.

If we went up, I think we'd back Farke but whether he had the tactical nous to combat better sides I don't know, and that is ultimately my fear with appointing him.

We'll see. First objective is to get out of here, his credentials from that point of view are decent.

They spent a lot more in 2021/22 than people realise. I thought this too until I looked into it but Rashica, Gunn, Giannoulis, Gibson, Melou, Sargent and Tzolis cost them the best part of sixty million. They just didn't really spend it well.

They were such an odd side in 2019/20, for a side who got only 22 points all season they had quite a lot of plaudits for a while.

Farke got linked to us, can't say I was massively enamoured but then I think there were worse names in the hat too. Don't think Leeds are looking in a great position, for all I've slated us we've had a manager in for three weeks, two signings in, proper movement at the club now after a baffling barren spell. Leeds haven't even officially got their manager in.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

They spent a lot more in 2021/22 than people realise. I thought this too until I looked into it but Rashica, Gunn, Giannoulis, Gibson, Melou, Sargent and Tzolis cost them the best part of sixty million. They just didn't really spend it well.

They were such an odd side in 2019/20, for a side who got only 22 points all season they had quite a lot of plaudits for a while.

Farke got linked to us, can't say I was massively enamoured but then I think there were worse names in the hat too. Don't think Leeds are looking in a great position, for all I've slated us we've had a manager in for three weeks, two signings in, proper movement at the club now after a baffling barren spell. Leeds haven't even officially got their manager in.

Yeah I'm definitely worried we won't hit the ground running. So much uncertainty about who will be here, who won't.

Seem to have started pre season later than other teams too, only three friendlies scheduled thus far, no signings, new manager unofficially announced. Lots of question marks, far from ideal prep.

We are definitely behind the curve and it's not exactly screaming promotion winning side to me as it stands but I remember us looking a little undercooked and flimsy, with little in the way of new signings in Bielsa's first pre season and then suddenly, wallop, I'd never seen anything like it v Stoke, men possessed.

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

I'm ok with Farke. Could have been better maybe, could have been worse.

End of the day, we are getting someone who knows what it takes to get out the league twice and he knows English football well. He has always been a likeable bloke and I can see the fans getting behind him unlike the likes of Marsch, Gracia and Big Sam.

Hard work starts from Wednesday. The fitness levels have to be upped and as Farke loved that possesion based, high pressing game at Norwich, he will have to work them hard to get them at the level he wants.

Personally I think Farke was the best we could have hoped for. I wasn't really impressed with any of the other names.

• The title was changed to Daniel Farke - New Leeds Manager

That's the first time I've seen him smile. Didn't work out for Gladbach. They were all over the place and I never really saw a "tactic", but maybe he's just made for England or something.

I liked his first interview. He does seem to get it instantly what being Leeds is. You can tell from those comments that the fans will get behind him more than they ever did for Marsch, Gracia or Big Sam because they can relate to it. He's keen to assure us we will have a team who'll fight and be competitive.

He's got that personality about him. He's not afraid to say it how it is and I like the fact he was very keen to say it was important to him the board and him were on the same page. He was well aware that mismanagement from the previous regime is why we are here now.

He's authorative. He insisted he wanted to be the manager, not a head coach. He wants more control at the club than just the coaching, particularly over transfers than what any of the previous managers had here when Victor Orta had that responsibility. He demanded that which I like.

He's honest and admits we are having to play catch up to everyone else and due to the demand shown in our players, it's hard to say how the squad will look till August ends but regardless of who stays or goes, he seems to know exactly what he wants for this team.

He's got a lot of work to do, probably bigger than Russell Martin at Saints who'll keep a lot of the nucleus of the side, and possibly Enzo Maresca at Leicester, purely because of the uncertainty around so many of our players. For a side that's gone down, it's surprising how many of our players have been in demand which shows you how badly we really underperformed.

Aaronson off to Union Berlin in the Champions League for example. Llorente and Kristenssen to Roma. Robin Koch to Eintracht Frankfurt. Marc Roca to Real Betis. That's even before we start talking about the likes of Tyler Adams, Harrison, Gnonto, Summerville and Rodrigo.

Then there's Georgino Rutter. Club record signing whose basically labelled with a high tag and he's just a kid that's struggled to adapt. A year with us in The Championship could be exactly what he needs. Feel more at home in the country, play regular, get his confidence up etc.

As one Norwich fan pointed out in his video review of Farke's appointment I saw, he may need a season to build a winning team for next year. His first season at Norwich was up and down from.the squad he inherited before they got promoted the following year, there could be just too much upheaval for him to nail it first go. I don't think the other clubs in this division face these issues.

Only thing I'd say to that is I'm not sure our fans or the owners will quite have that patience but we need to be fair and acknowledge this is a new start, this league isn't easy and there's going to be so much change in and out this summer that it might not just happen instantly for us. Maybe, as much as it will hurt, we might take a season to find ourselves a bit and be better placed next season but we'll see.

He's in now, that's the main thing.

Training starts tomorrow and then the Internationals come back in dribs and drabs next week where I guess we'll start to get more of an idea whose staying and whose fucking off. If two or three of them pledged to stay, it would be a great boost, even if they just gave us a season to get back.

I suspect they won't but we'll see.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

That's the first time I've seen him smile. Didn't work out for Gladbach. They were all over the place and I never really saw a "tactic", but maybe he's just made for England or something.

I still feel like no coach was ever going to succeed at Gladbach. They are a fucking mess right now.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

Statistically must be one of the worst Premier League managers of all time?

Is it 5 wins in 48 games? A 10% win ratio

Good thing we're in the Championship.

9 hours ago, Coma said:

I still feel like no coach was ever going to succeed at Gladbach. They are a fucking mess right now.

I mean, they were pretty much still intact at the beginning of the season, yet they should know real tactical direction under him. You could never see a real plan or a certain style. 

17 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

It's like the modern version of Mick McCarthy. Get promoted just to get relegated.

A small taste of that EPL money every other season is enough to sustain a lot of clubs.

Archived