• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fabinho Now Wanted by Saudi's

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this one's probably happening.

So we started this window needing to bring in at least 2 new midfielders. And with Henderson & Fabinho likely on their way out, looks like we need 2 more tbh. £40m on paper is pretty good money to get for someone that didn't look like themselves for 3/4s of a season, but when he's at his best he's an absolute monster and we don't really have a like-for-like replacement ready to go for him. Especially if Henderson's heading to Saudi Arabia too.

Seems like a moment of good business on paper, but on the pitch we're likely to feel the impacts of getting rid of a bunch of leadership figures and putting a bunch of players together in midfield who've never played together.

50 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looks like this one's probably happening.

So we started this window needing to bring in at least 2 new midfielders. And with Henderson & Fabinho likely on their way out, looks like we need 2 more tbh. £40m on paper is pretty good money to get for someone that didn't look like themselves for 3/4s of a season, but when he's at his best he's an absolute monster and we don't really have a like-for-like replacement ready to go for him. Especially if Henderson's heading to Saudi Arabia too.

Seems like a moment of good business on paper, but on the pitch we're likely to feel the impacts of getting rid of a bunch of leadership figures and putting a bunch of players together in midfield who've never played together.

Soton want 50m for Lavia which is madness

He hasn’t traveled to Germany for the preseason - I think this one’s going ahead.

Kind of mental how so many important players for us in this era that’s probably been the best we’ve ever been in my life are gone or on their way out. Gini, Mane, Milner, Firmino, Fabinho, and possibly our captain too. That’s 5-6 key players for us over the years.

22 minutes ago, Rick said:

Lavia deal needs tied up as soon as and then we need another midfielder. 

I don’t think Lavia’s the best possible replacement for Fabinho tbh. Good player and lots of potential - but honestly very different to the other times we’ve signed players from relegated clubs. This would be very pricy for someone that we’d need to slot into the first team right away - and I’m not sure he’s ready.

Who we’d sign though? No idea, I’ve seen some names from some of the more reputable journos and other than some lad at Benfica they seem a little underwhelming.

I think given that next season the midfield that will probably start the most games will be all new signings… we could probably do with a holding midfielder that’s got a bit more experience than a half season.

I think Lavia could step up, especially with hard working midfielders around him. Caicedo would be perfect, but we just aren’t spending that sort of money on one player again this window.  I don’t know any alternatives to those two either. 

50 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think Lavia could step up, especially with hard working midfielders around him. Caicedo would be perfect, but we just aren’t spending that sort of money on one player again this window.  I don’t know any alternatives to those two either. 

I’d also like Caicedo but pretty much all those same journos that know stuff about the club have said we’re not in the race for him at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Post image

Honestly, if we can't get Doucoure, not the worst thing in the world to keep Fabinho. Some of the players that have been touted to come in replace him I think are laughable suggestions, even though Fabinho was far from his best last season.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

After being mugged off by Zaha for the 8th best league, links with Olise to Chelsea and Man City and links with Anderson to Newcastle, I am one more Doucoure to Liverpool news article away from a nervous breakdown.

I'd rest easy mate. Especially because that wasn't a news article, it was just me saying "if we don't get him, I'd prefer we keep Fabinho to some of the players we've been linked with that I think are a bit shit" xD

Especially if Fabinho stays. And it seems like the 2 journos that are most reputable for us this summer are Ornstein & Joyce. It looks like Fabinho's going to be back in training tomorrow, I have a hunch he's going to stay despite the clubs agreeing the fee for him. Which tbh is a bit surprising because I thought there was no way he'd turn those wages down. Maybe he wants to prove he's still got it in a proper league though since he's not yet 30 and doesn't fancy moving down to a retirement league just yet?

But regardless of what happens with Fabinho - no way do I see FSG paying £80m or thereabouts for just one midfielder, so I think you're safe. At least from us.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Fabinho to stay and we bring in Lavia? 
Slowly bed the young lad in through the season with Fabinho slowly being phased out would be a good move if this falls through. 

Seems pretty ideal from our POV. Losing Fabinho & Henderson for £52m gives us a bit of money but it's a lot of leadership we're losing. And we've already lost Firmino and Milner, two big leaders in the squad. Henderson's for sure on his way out (looks like he filmed a farewell message to the fans on Tuesday at Anfield so I'm expecting an announcement of his move gone through at any point).

Tbh, I think Lavia's pretty fucking risky - the last time we paid a huge fee for a player that had about half a season in the top flight under his belt, it was Andy Carroll wasn't it? And that was a pretty dogshit signing tbh. Something just strikes me as wrong paying that much for a player that scouts haven't had a full season at a high level to really judge.

if Fabinho doesn't go Liverpool don't get Lavia.  As I stated in the Lavia thread, they will look for 60+ for him knowing that City have a 40m option taking anything under 50 is worthless.

Liverpool have the same back line with a regressing Van Dijk and oft injured back ups.  maybe Liverpool should be looking at defense

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

if Fabinho doesn't go Liverpool don't get Lavia.  As I stated in the Lavia thread, they will look for 60+ for him knowing that City have a 40m option taking anything under 50 is worthless.

Liverpool have the same back line with a regressing Van Dijk and oft injured back ups.  maybe Liverpool should be looking at defense

No way we spend 60+ on Lavia. It’ll be no more than 50m (that’s including add ons). Plus, I don’t think Fabinho staying affects it as they were in for another midfield before the Saudis came in for him. 

We absolutely need another CB. I have no confidence in Gomez and Matip is very injury prone. Both of them looked horrendous in that recent pre season game. But, it was just pre season. 

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

No way we spend 60+ on Lavia. It’ll be no more than 50m (that’s including add ons). Plus, I don’t think Fabinho staying affects it as they were in for another midfield before the Saudis came in for him. 

We absolutely need another CB. I have no confidence in Gomez and Matip is very injury prone. Both of them looked horrendous in that recent pre season game. But, it was just pre season. 

Maguire?

1 hour ago, Rick said:

a CB is a bigger need for you, in my opinion and a RB will let you move Trent into the midfield.   It will be a massive oversight if you fail to bolster you defense.   if you drop 50 odd on Lavia that's 150m spent, you are probably on the limit by this point

I would prioritise a CB as things stand with Fabinho still officially part of the squad. If he moves, we will need another body in there regardless of the defence situation. 

4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

if Fabinho doesn't go Liverpool don't get Lavia.

Not so sure about that tbh. We don't typically bid for players we don't think we've got a chance at getting and we needed another midfielder before the rumours of Henderson or Fabinho were leaving. If they both leave, I think we'll need 2.

Archived