talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dan's Tipping Game is BACK

football forum

• Subscriber

As spoken of in another thread, the tipping game is back and I'll be running it and updating it weekly. This is ultimately a game for the gamblers who don't want to actually gamble.

Basically, anyone who enters is given an imaginary £10 bet to place on either a single or double for the week. The selections don't have to be on the same day but both have to win for you to win that week. The winner is whoever comes out of the season with the best balance - so there's actually no obligation to play every week and missing a week doesn't have you guaranteed to fall behind like it is on a prediction league. You can actually win the league just simply by not losing anything! This was quite a good thread in the past as it actually gave you some decent tips for games for the week.

Entirely hypothetical but just for an example I will say, for the first week, double of Southampton to win at Sheffield Wednesday (7/5) and Leicester to beat Coventry (1/2) - a £10 double on those two at those prices would return £36, so for that week I'm £26 up, or if one of them loses then of course I'm £10 down. You can of course just pick a single too if you only fancy the one thing, and you can even take a 1/10 single if needs be, just be aware you're only going to be £1 up when you win so it's a balancing act!

You can have your money on anything providing the bookies offer a price for it. You can go to the most obscure of leagues and the most obscure of selections. If you fancy Sturm Graz to have more corners than Wolfsberger when they meet, then by all means, go for it.

Now I tend for it to be football based on the whole (100% of my picks will be on football), however if there is something else you fancy on another sport then you are welcome to have that. Just let me know the selection(s) and the price you've seen. You can screenshot it as proof, however, I will trust you haven't just made the odds up especially given I'm somebody who pisses around on bookies sites even with no intention to place a bet and have a bit of an interest in odds in general, so I'll have a good idea if you're bullshitting (though I don't think anybody actually will anyway).

Put your name in here if you are interested, I know a few have already said they are, and I'll ping a reminder weekly probably on Monday night for the week ahead and run the first week from Tuesday 1st August - Monday 7th August. I will run it Tuesday to Monday as the football calendar generally will have the weekends football stretching as far as that so it'll make it less confusing - this obviously includes anything from that week too, so if there are European games, by all means have it on that.

I'm going to run it over 44 weeks right up until the week of the Champions League final. International weekends are included, as I say, you can throw other sports in if you absolutely wish and think you've seen the value there, and if you aren't interested in that week, you simply don't have to play and can save your hypothetical money. We're even lucky enough that boxing day falls on a Tuesday this year so week 22 will cover the festive week perfectly.

Any questions, let me know, but think that'll cover the majority though.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm in! 

Do we have to use a specific bookies' odds? I only use SkyBet or do we have to go hunting for best odds? 

It's whichever you use to be honest. You find a price for something just stick it in here and I'll add it.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'll play this but if you don't tag me as a reminder I will forget xD

I plan to! Like I say though sometimes simply not playing works xD

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not sure atm, will keep an eye on this thread and see if I can 'Get the Jist' of it if you know what I mean, is actual money involved or just toy bank money? xD

Toy money. 

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not sure atm, will keep an eye on this thread and see if I can 'Get the Jist' of it if you know what I mean, is actual money involved or just toy bank money? xD

All hypothetical and yep like I say, one of the good parts of it is you can enter it in March and win the league.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Six entries is a steady start - assuming you're in too @Storts as you said you fancied it in another thread.

We're laughing anyway. The first week will run from Tuesday 1st August to Monday 7th August so you're all welcome to make picks for that already even if they're early Champions League qualifiers / womens World Cup etc...

I already know one of mine is Southampton to win at Sheffield Wednesday. 2.45 on 365 which I think is a great price - think they're making that game out to be a lot more even than it is, Southampton a far superior squad in generally better knick for me, even if it is going to be a pretty tough atmosphere.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dan said:

Six entries is a steady start - assuming you're in too @Storts as you said you fancied it in another thread.

We're laughing anyway. The first week will run from Tuesday 1st August to Monday 7th August so you're all welcome to make picks for that already even if they're early Champions League qualifiers / womens World Cup etc...

I already know one of mine is Southampton to win at Sheffield Wednesday. 2.45 on 365 which I think is a great price - think they're making that game out to be a lot more even than it is, Southampton a far superior squad in generally better knick for me, even if it is going to be a pretty tough atmosphere.

Yeah mate I’m in 

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Dan said:

Most disappointingly, the longer Leicester go on failing to announce a signing that was supposedly done at the weekend (with doubts creeping in) added to the generally piss poor pre-season we've opted to inflict on ourselves, then I'm going to have to take Coventry or draw on the opening day of the season.

Leicester are 1/2 (1.50) to win the game. That is just simply too short in my opinion. I think our team is still superior to Coventry's, but we are missing a hell of a lot of the firepower. We have, in total, two players you could class as attacking midfielders or wingers and they are Marc Albrighton and Wanya Marcal-Madivadua. Two players who won't be close to first choice this season.

The game has come too early. Even if Mavididi is signed as expected, I think we're missing quite a bit and I can't go into this game taking us at a price like that. Coventry have lost Gyokeres and are likely to lose Hamer too, but they are a good unit, they're a club going in the right direction after a genuinely horrific couple of decades. I think they've a good chance of getting a point here. They do have a mental block at this ground though, they've never won here, so that's why I won't take them outright to win the game but I can see a draw, but I'll play safe and cover both options.

Coventry or draw at Leicester - 6/4 (2.50). Doubled with my Southampton pick gives me a double returning £61.25 off a tenner if I win.

I must say I thought it would take longer than this to go against Leicester but welcome back football!

• Subscriber

Got a slight dilemma on this, I want to make the game more about your actual selections of results / games than the selection of bookmaker. My dilemma is do we include things such as two goal payout. For anybody unaware, Bet365 (who I generally use) have an offer on most of the well known leagues where if a team goes two goals ahead the bet is settled. So if I was to have Southampton to win at Sheffield Wednesday, they go 2-0 up but then end up drawing or losing, the bet is still settled as a winner, though if I did that on another bookmaker that isn't necessarily going to apply.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Dan said:

Got a slight dilemma on this, I want to make the game more about your actual selections of results / games than the selection of bookmaker. My dilemma is do we include things such as two goal payout. For anybody unaware, Bet365 (who I generally use) have an offer on most of the well known leagues where if a team goes two goals ahead the bet is settled. So if I was to have Southampton to win at Sheffield Wednesday, they go 2-0 up but then end up drawing or losing, the bet is still settled as a winner, though if I did that on another bookmaker that isn't necessarily going to apply.

Skybet do it too. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Stan said:

Skybet do it too. 

PaddyPower also, it's just in the context of the league itself - I don't know if I should include it within peoples scores as it's almost certainly going to occur at one point.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Week one starting from Tuesday so feel free to get something in for between then and Mondays games! @Stan @Storts @Lucas @RandoEFC @CaaC (John) @...Dan

I will wait until others post that way I will get the general idea what to pick and how seeing I have never played this game before. :ay:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

I will wait until others post that way I will get the general idea what to pick and how seeing I have never played this game before. :ay:

Yep that's all good. I think when I originally ran this I liked seeing if anybody had found any good value and I stole some of them myself xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dan said:

Yep that's all good. I think when I originally ran this I liked seeing if anybody had found any good value and I stole some of them myself xD

I might pick my sons brain on this game seeing he used to be a bookie manager with Joe Corals I think it was, he is into all of these games. :D

On 27/07/2023 at 22:57, Dan said:

PaddyPower also, it's just in the context of the league itself - I don't know if I should include it within peoples scores as it's almost certainly going to occur at one point.

Personally, I'd keep things simple and say avoid markets like that 2up thing.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Personally, I'd keep things simple and say avoid markets like that 2up thing.

The problem is that it isn't really a market and it's something they do for basically any game. If I have you to beat Cardiff on 365 and you go 2 up it pays out. I'm inclined to just exclude this part of it although it depends how much people want to transfer what they read in here to betting themselves - if they do at all.

I will probably just ignore these sorts of things.

• Subscriber

I'm in. So if I lose my initial £10, am I out? 

Either way, this is what I'm going for...

Sunderland to win against Ipswich (2.45)
Grimsby to win against Wimbledon (1.85)

£10 returns £45.32 on Virgin Bet at 4.53 (yes I use decimal odds)