• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dan's Tipping Game is BACK

football forum

• Subscriber
On 29/08/2023 at 01:37, Dan said:

image.thumb.png.33aac15da7538bef698db7d187c65259.png

WEEK 4 - THE CASE FOR SINGLES

No this isn't Tinders latest advert, but a mere observation made that I'll post later on.

Quite comfortably the forum's collective best effort yet, although disappointingly we do still post a loss overall, however we've almost doubled our entirety of winning selections so far so we're definitely picking up a little bit.

@Storts lands the games biggest win yet with his double. Aston Villa paying out quite comfortably in their win at Burnley, although Man City made things a lot more tense than many expected with their 1-2 win at Bramall Lane. This game, and the late flurry of goals killed two birds with one stone as @Pyfish scraped his first victory of the season, taking him straight up to 2nd place from joint bottom. Chelsea's 3-0 win over Luton completed the double, for a nice win to get things going.

@Stan can once again be deemed very unlucky as the chaos at Wrexham was tempered somewhat, though the stats paint quite the onslaught and Wrexham once again conceded out of very little against them - winning the xG battle quite considerably. His other game at Gateshead sailed in with a 1-3 victory for Woking.

@CaaC (John)'s shot for the stars didn't really come close, and he was the only one of the eight to predict who didn't land a selection this week. This again is progress.

We move on to my picks. This double I think totally sums up my betting life - I have far more success on foreign football and leagues I never really watch than ones that I follow a bit closer. I had no idea at all how Botafogo were so short to win this game, it appears to me the bookies really don't rate them like they should do as they sailed to a 3-0 victory. Bolton however didn't bounce back and could only draw 1-1 at Burton, infuriatingly, as a Bolton winner would've left me top of the league.

@Lucas fell into what I deem the first huge trap of the season, totally understandably and with the form being shown I think it was a fairly generous price offered, but we have seen this sort of thing pan out in these ridiculous leagues way too many times now. It's a shame because his Norwich pick to win at Huddersfield absolutely rocketed in, in what was the best priced single to win this weekend. @RandoEFC again can be deemed unlucky, saved somewhat in unlikely circumstances in the Newcastle Liverpool game, but Arsenal had a rare off day at home to Fulham and both of their goals came in the second half.

It's a loss overall, but if you had backed singles on every selection, the forum would've done slightly better, albeit still not quite in profit either.

Plenty to play with this week coming up, which starts from now.

WEEK 4 STATS
Winning bets: 2/7 (28.5%)
Winning selections: 8/14 (57.14%)
Weekly forum position: -£23.01

OVERALL STATS
Winning bets: 3/28 (10.7%)
Winning selections: 17/55 (30.9%)
Total forum position: -£212.61

image.thumb.png.5f01da683830090428ef6b13b651ee7f.png

WEEK 5 - PROFIT!

A round of applause from everybody who played, or should I say, five of us who played to the two who have carried the forum into its first weekly profit of the season.

In what is collectively the forum's best week for both selections and money, it's nice to see that people seem to be getting to grips with things, with only @CaaC (John)'s latest 50 yard firecracker going out for a throw in and producing no selection winners.

@Pyfishclaims his second straight victory courtesy of the late drama at the Emirates. Two solid priced selections and the £28.50 profit is the biggest win of the season, becoming the second person to enter profit this weekend and leapfrogging the first, @Stan in the process, who claims his second win as well. Following some very harsh luck of late it was nice to see the late goal arrive this time, as Real Madrid broke down Getafe in injury time to win 2-1. Crewe vs MK Dons was roundly tipped as a game that would produce goals and it didn't disappoint, with Crewe yet again producing a comeback albeit this time it was to win rather than draw.

It's nice seeing somebody get knocked off the top by courtesy of not predicting rather than the other way around.

@...Danwas quite unlucky in his selection, Real Betis, another team quite widely tipped on the basis they were being overlooked due to the tough fixtures they'd opened with, recorded a 1-0 victory over a Rayo Vallecano side that managed to somehow ship 7 at home to Atletico Madrid the week previous. Athletic had the better of Mallorca but couldn't find the winner, it ended goalless.

So that's two bets on Leicester games made by me so far, and it's two losses, where I backed us to not beat Coventry and we did, I backed us to take another win and BTTS against Hull. Despite Hull's early goal, the usual 2-1 victory never arrived for us. Arsenal delivered though, which was the best priced selection of the weekend to win, but the double whammy of losing backing your own team strikes me with a fifth straight loss.

Rounding up the five-loss trio is @Lucas and @RandoEFC, the former picking a pretty overpriced Spurs (great hindsight there) to win at a struggling Burnley but being let down by the league leaders MK Dons. Rando unfortunately went for the 'safe' option and is still burnt by picking Chelsea to do something a bit out of the ordinary for them, and score goals. This selection is the shortest priced pick made all season to lose, so it's a real blow.

It's a much better week on the whole though. I think I'll probably get some graphs made of the progress over the season at some point, and interestingly that's now three weeks in a row that the collective balance of the forum has improved on the week before, but we're still miles away from breaking even. A tough week this week though - internationals have hit the traditional fixtures and even most of League One has fallen, so you've got to be pretty creative this time out!

WEEK 5 STATS
Weekly forum position: +£5.02

OVERALL STATS
Winning bets: 5/35 (14.3%)
Winning selections: 25/69 (36.2%)
Total forum position: -£207.59

• Subscriber

Screenshot_20230905_152139_bet365.thumb.jpg.8aead6037a7f1af3f008fe13f9c9cff6.jpg

Going a bit defensive this time just to try not losing a tenner.

If both of these teams win by more than a goal, £10 > £19.50.

If Spain win by more than a goal and France only win by one, £10 > £14.50.

If Spain win by one and France win by more than one, £10 > £13.50.

If one of these teams fails to win, £10 > £0.

I actually think Slovenia win here but let's go with the safer option of them scoring a goal. Sold out stadium in front of an inferior squad with 3 losses in 4 games so no real motivation for NI here I assume.

Second selection is today. I read Bristol Rovers will be using a good lineup as weekend game cancelled. Only one player missing and he's a rotation player. Cheltenham have 5 players out for international games. Bristol manager under pressure from fans.

Screenshot_20230905_152516_1xBet.jpg

Edited by Machado

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Machado said:

Second selection is today. I read Bristol Rovers will using a good lineup as weekend game cancelled. Only one player missing and he's a rotation player. Cheltenham have 5 players out for international games. Bristol manager under pressure from fans.

Bear in mind a lot of squads do change a lot for the EFL Trophy, as it's sometimes not seen as that important compared to league, and managers often rotate to give players a chance, as opposed to going full strength. 

• Subscriber

Quite like the Slovenia pick in general as Northern Ireland are pretty awful again now. That sort of thing was why I originally started this a few years ago, hence the name tipping game as opposed to say "betting game". 

I've no idea why I do so badly at this because in general I genuinely do quite well nowadays. Crap luck really. Suppose I'd rather lose the hypothetical money than real though xD (though I have actually put a £10 on every bet I've had so far).

• Subscriber
On 05/09/2023 at 15:23, RandoEFC said:

Screenshot_20230905_152139_bet365.thumb.jpg.8aead6037a7f1af3f008fe13f9c9cff6.jpg

Going a bit defensive this time just to try not losing a tenner.

If both of these teams win by more than a goal, £10 > £19.50.

If Spain win by more than a goal and France only win by one, £10 > £14.50.

If Spain win by one and France win by more than one, £10 > £13.50.

If one of these teams fails to win, £10 > £0.

With France winning 2-0 and Spain 6-1 up with 20 minutes left I think I've finally probably pulled off a winner xD.

• Subscriber
On 05/09/2023 at 03:14, Dan said:

image.thumb.png.5f01da683830090428ef6b13b651ee7f.png

WEEK 5 - PROFIT!

A round of applause from everybody who played, or should I say, five of us who played to the two who have carried the forum into its first weekly profit of the season.

In what is collectively the forum's best week for both selections and money, it's nice to see that people seem to be getting to grips with things, with only @CaaC (John)'s latest 50 yard firecracker going out for a throw in and producing no selection winners.

@Pyfishclaims his second straight victory courtesy of the late drama at the Emirates. Two solid priced selections and the £28.50 profit is the biggest win of the season, becoming the second person to enter profit this weekend and leapfrogging the first, @Stan in the process, who claims his second win as well. Following some very harsh luck of late it was nice to see the late goal arrive this time, as Real Madrid broke down Getafe in injury time to win 2-1. Crewe vs MK Dons was roundly tipped as a game that would produce goals and it didn't disappoint, with Crewe yet again producing a comeback albeit this time it was to win rather than draw.

It's nice seeing somebody get knocked off the top by courtesy of not predicting rather than the other way around.

@...Danwas quite unlucky in his selection, Real Betis, another team quite widely tipped on the basis they were being overlooked due to the tough fixtures they'd opened with, recorded a 1-0 victory over a Rayo Vallecano side that managed to somehow ship 7 at home to Atletico Madrid the week previous. Athletic had the better of Mallorca but couldn't find the winner, it ended goalless.

So that's two bets on Leicester games made by me so far, and it's two losses, where I backed us to not beat Coventry and we did, I backed us to take another win and BTTS against Hull. Despite Hull's early goal, the usual 2-1 victory never arrived for us. Arsenal delivered though, which was the best priced selection of the weekend to win, but the double whammy of losing backing your own team strikes me with a fifth straight loss.

Rounding up the five-loss trio is @Lucas and @RandoEFC, the former picking a pretty overpriced Spurs (great hindsight there) to win at a struggling Burnley but being let down by the league leaders MK Dons. Rando unfortunately went for the 'safe' option and is still burnt by picking Chelsea to do something a bit out of the ordinary for them, and score goals. This selection is the shortest priced pick made all season to lose, so it's a real blow.

It's a much better week on the whole though. I think I'll probably get some graphs made of the progress over the season at some point, and interestingly that's now three weeks in a row that the collective balance of the forum has improved on the week before, but we're still miles away from breaking even. A tough week this week though - internationals have hit the traditional fixtures and even most of League One has fallen, so you've got to be pretty creative this time out!

WEEK 5 STATS
Weekly forum position: +£5.02

OVERALL STATS
Winning bets: 5/35 (14.3%)
Winning selections: 25/69 (36.2%)
Total forum position: -£207.59

image.thumb.png.f09d08ef5d8225e1956cba7dc808904d.png

WEEK 6 - FURTHER PROFIT!

Slightly unpredicted delays in getting the table up (aka I totally forgot) but we have posted our best week of the season so far, more green representation than an extinction rebellion rally and the fourth week in a row that the overall result was better than the previous week.

The international week saw a slightly lower uptake with those games and lower leagues the only places to turn to, but this seemed to not affect performance.

@Stan lands his 3rd winner overall and 2nd in a row with a lower league goals double. Crawley v Newport a very wise pick as Newport have paid out over 2.5 in all seven of their league games so far. This was in by the 54th minute in a game that ended 4-1 to the hosts. It was far less plain sailing at Chesterfield as this took until the 90th minute, although it actually ended 3-1 in the end. This win takes him back to the top ahead of @Pyfish.

@Machado becomes only the second player to make a winning opening pick and climbs straight to 3rd in the table following this win. Playing a fairly safe pair of picks but this is generally proving quite effective. Bristol Rovers won their game 4-1 in the week, and Slovenia had their goal over a declining Northern Ireland within 4 minutes, in a game they would go on to win 4-2.

@CaaC (John) plays slightly more reserved than picking exact scorelines this week, but his pair of long shots get no nearer. Ukraine did manage a draw with England, but Estonia were beaten 0-5 by Sweden in Tallinn.

@RandoEFC is finally off the mark as Spain and France both won convincingly, Spain hitting an impressive 7 in their win in Georgia.

Finally, I plunge to the bottom of the table as @Lucas didn't predict and I once again lost, after Accrington couldn't find a goal against Mansfield. I'm having no luck at all this season, I've absolutely no doubt if I had backed the Mansfield win they would've drawn it like they usually seem to when I pick them. Crewe are the comeback, and consequently BTTS kings.

It's a strong week on the whole though, our best yet.

Plenty to go with this week, still not finished with internationals, and the usual stuff is back this weekend.

WEEK 6 STATS
Winning bets: 3/5 (60%)
Winning selections: 7/10 (70%)
Weekly forum position: +£16.17

OVERALL STATS
Winning bets: 8/40 (20%)
Winning selections: 32/79 (40.5%)
Total forum position: -£191.43

• Upvote 1