talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 1 - 11-14th August, 2023

football forum

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

What xD

It’s a tactical element of the game that is taken out, small teams specifically use it to try and get an advantage against bigger teams who want the game sped up. Ultimately you want different styles of play to go against each other, not the same style from everyone

• Administrator
Just now, Tommy said:

No handshake with Klopp either. 😬

Yeah not sure if he was unhappy with his performance and not scoring or actually being subbed. Either way you don't see it often from him. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

It’s a tactical element of the game that is taken out, small teams specifically use it to try and get an advantage against bigger teams who want the game sped up. Ultimately you want different styles of play to go against each other, not the same style from everyone

Ah yeah because only small teams use it. Every team in the world does it, depending on scenario in the game. It rewarded 'cheating' and then it was never added on at the end. That seems to have changed and it's about discouraging the time-wasting it anything now. 

Not sure what styles of play have to do with anything. The most stylish team in the world will time-waste given the chance. 

Don’t think Salah react like that if he’s getting subbed for Diaz or Jota. But a 17 year old replaces him and he’s acted like a right baby. 

We’ve been terrible second half. Offered nothing going forward. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Ah yeah because only small teams use it. Every team in the world does it, depending on scenario in the game. It rewarded 'cheating' and then it was never added on at the end. That seems to have changed and it's about discouraging the time-wasting it anything now. 

Not sure what styles of play have to do with anything. The most stylish team in the world will time-waste given the chance. 

I agree with Stanley.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

We’ve been terrible second half. Offered nothing going forward. 

All the more surprising why Salah was taken off. He's one player who could still make a difference right til the end. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I didn’t say only small teams use it did I? I said specifically, as in heres an example.

It’s a method to change the game and if you are a team in control of possession and the speed of the game you will not want the opposition slowing your momentum down. But at extremes it is going to be more noticeable between smaller and bigger teams, or for a team that like to disrupt the opposition such as Atletico Madrid. 

For me the game is better with it, it creates tension which makes battles on the pitch better.

For me the subs were made because Liverpool’s counter press has been non-existent, multiple times it’s just been one or two players pressing and the whole team disjointed. The immediate change that was noticeable after the subs was that Liverpool’s frontline began pressing aggressively.

Issue is they lack quality on the ball without Salah now

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

I didn’t say only small teams use it did I? I said specifically, as in heres an example.

It’s a method to change the game and if you are a team in control of possession and the speed of the game you will not want the opposition slowing your momentum down. But at extremes it is going to be more noticeable between smaller and bigger teams, or for a team that like to disrupt the opposition such as Atletico Madrid. 

For me the game is better with it, it creates tension which makes battles on the pitch better.

Tension through time-wasting? Hmm, not so sure about that. The battles on the pitch are through quality and talent and tactics. Not through delaying the restart of a game. 

You can't just change a rule because it favours or doesn't favour a team anyway? It's to eradicate the flow of the game which is purposely initiated when teams are winning or drawing. If anything, time-wasting eradicates the time on offer for any battles on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Tension through time-wasting? Hmm, not so sure about that. The battles on the pitch are through quality and talent and tactics. Not through delaying the restart of a game. 

You can't just change a rule because it favours or doesn't favour a team anyway? It's to eradicate the flow of the game which is purposely initiated when teams are winning or drawing. If anything, time-wasting eradicates the time on offer for any battles on the pitch. 

Teams who want the ball in play quickly, who are a goal down, get angry. Their fans get angry. The other team reacts to this, continues to wind them up. It creates tension between players, fans and clubs. Literally saw it last season with Newcastle and Arsenal. It exists.

The rule is changed to favour a specific style of football, styles that thrive on speed and tempo control. Those teams will benefit the most.

Personally I prefer seeing the variety in game and the desperation to effect the opposition, but that option to do so is taken away with this ruling.

• The topic was unpinned