talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 1 - 11-14th August, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

Been a long summer losing Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans and Soyuncu, but of all those players I actually think it hurts losing Barnes the most. Especially when you see how effective he was immediately after coming on. 

Genuinely think he's getting a good chunk of goals and assists in that side. Perhaps 10-15 goals and similar amount of assists? He'll smash it there. Newcastle's depth is ever-growing and the lure of CL football will be massive. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Been a long summer losing Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans and Soyuncu, but of all those players I actually think it hurts losing Barnes the most. Especially when you see how effective he was immediately after coming on. 

Genuinely think he's getting a good chunk of goals and assists in that side. Perhaps 10-15 goals and similar amount of assists? He'll smash it there. Newcastle's depth is ever-growing and the lure of CL football will be massive. 

what I like about Harvey Barnes is that he is always finding free space to run behind and he is always in that danger area.   He is quite similar to Rashford in that he gets into the box quickly and thst puts defenses under pressure.  He also gives a option for Someone to run onto it.

Having Gordon and Barnes is real fun, I will miss ASMs character but with Barnes we have a direct threat and with Gordon now breaking out it bodes well.

Starting with a 352 by the looks of things. Spurs may have lost Kane but there is still a lot of talent in that team going forward, we just need to stay solid, exploit defensive frailties and I imagine as the game goes on we’ll push to a 3 up front unless we’re leading.

Just now, Stan said:

Not enough contact for a penalty. At least not enough for Jensen to go down as if someone chopped his left foot off. 

Enough force from Son that it’s always gonna be given. The refereeing was really poor, it looked like a stonewall penalty in real time, yet he just let it go. 

• Administrator
Just now, Rick said:

Enough force from Son that it’s always gonna be given. The refereeing was really poor, it looked like a stonewall penalty in real time, yet he just let it go. 

Stonewall is a stretch! 

If Maddison or Son goes down like that @Danny is calling it a dive :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Stonewall is a stretch! 

If Maddison or Son goes down like that @Danny is calling it a dive :ph34r:

Son runs in, doesn’t win the ball and Jensen goes down like that. In real time it looked like a penalty, fair enough slowed down its more debatable, but the referee not giving it was a bit puzzling for me. He’s got previous for being one of the worst refs in the league, so I’m not surprised. 

I think some of the “soft” pen shouts are bizarre. Son runs in and kicks his ankle. Yeah, the reaction is theatrical but can we just let that stuff go? I’m not so sure. 

Edited by Rick

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Son runs in, doesn’t win the ball and Jensen goes down like that. In real time it looked like a penalty, fair enough slowed down its more debatable, but the referee not giving it was a bit puzzling for me. He’s got previous for being one of the worst refs in the league, so I’m not surprised. 

I think some of the “soft” pen shouts are bizarre. Son runs in and kicks his ankle. Yeah, the reaction is theatrical but can we just let that stuff go? I’m not so sure. 

Jensen could have easily stayed up and carried on with the ball. I think he makes a meal of it. Son doesn't exactly swipe at Jensen either. Jensen almost takes another step and then writhes in agony. 

• The topic was unpinned