talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

How can it be more safe when they have that much if their view impeded? xD

What are they going to do for the Moto GP riders to protect their heads if this is required in F1? Absolute bollocks this.

They also raised the extraction time from 5 to 7 seconds because of the halo. I guess fire can wait. 

• Subscriber

I don't even  get the safety reasoning behind it, I think the only fatality that the halo would have prevented in recent years is Henry Surtees' death, but seriously, that was just so incredibly bad luck, you can't ever prevent it completely in motorsports. Even then, strengthening wheel tethers sounds like a much better solution than putting on a halo which brings its own security issues, as Rando and Tsubs mentioned already. It doesn't protect (or only up to 17%, according to FIA itself) from smaller flying debris either, so the incidents like Massa still could have happened, or could have been made even worse by deflecting the debris.

Weird solution, all in all.

36 minutes ago, nudge said:

YES YES YES!

Amazing news. Hopefully Alfa Romeo will bring in a lot of money so they can get rid of Ericsson and keep Wehrlein :ph34r: But then again Pascal is still with Merc, so this is probably not good for him. 

Leclerc/Giovinazzi then?

• Administrator
8 hours ago, nudge said:

I don't even  get the safety reasoning behind it, I think the only fatality that the halo would have prevented in recent years is Henry Surtees' death, but seriously, that was just so incredibly bad luck, you can't ever prevent it completely in motorsports. Even then, strengthening wheel tethers sounds like a much better solution than putting on a halo which brings its own security issues, as Rando and Tsubs mentioned already. It doesn't protect (or only up to 17%, according to FIA itself) from smaller flying debris either, so the incidents like Massa still could have happened, or could have been made even worse by deflecting the debris.

Weird solution, all in all.

Jules Bianchi? 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jules Bianchi? 

They did simulations on Bianchi's crash with different variations of cockpit protection (including halo), and the verdict was that the impact was so strong none would have saved his life, not even a completely closed cockpit. :(

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

The halo wouldn't have done shit in that accident, unfortunately. 

Just now, nudge said:

They did simulations on Bianchi's crash with different variations of cockpit protection (including halo), and the verdict was that the impact was so strong none would have saved his life, not even a completely closed cockpit. :(

fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

What are the halo's made out of? How resilient, sturdy, resistant to impact are they?

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

What are the halo's made out of? How resilient, sturdy, resistant to impact are they?

Carbon-titanium. I don't know the exact numbers of the loads they are designed to withstand; there were a number of tests they ran in three risk categories: car to car, car to environment, and external objects. Apparently it can withstand the impact of a 20kg wheel assembly flying at 225km/h, bear a static load 15 times the mass of an F1 car, and prevent helmet contact with a wall or a barrier in many cases of tested accidents. It will be interesting to see the actual results of crash tests.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

They also raised the extraction time from 5 to 7 seconds because of the halo. I guess fire can wait. 

Yeah, and Bottas apparently tried it in Abu Dhabi, he reportedly needed 9.59 seconds to get out...

• Subscriber

Swedish sponsors money winning the seat for Ericsson, I suppose? Couldn't find any other explanation otherwise, both Wehrlein and Giovinazzi would make more sense talent and skill-wise.

EDIT: Giovinazzi now confirmed as 3rd driver.

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber

Ericsson over Wehrlein is madness. Wehrlein has something about him. Ericsson will cling onto the Sauber seat until the money runs out and no body else will want him.

However, if it is money keeping him in the car then fair play to Sauber. As a team the best survivors in Formula One and now have the massive Alfa Romeo name to go over the door.

If it was Sauber-Mercedes next year, we'd still have Pascal :( Anyway, I hope this is not the end of his F1 career. As Cannabis said, Pascal was in contention for the Mercedes seat, and now he's completely out of the sport for the time being. Madness. 

Unless Williams will have second thoughts :ph34r:

• The topic was pinned