talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm hoping the squad/klopp treats the trip to Qatar as a warm weather break and treat the actual games like training sessions. 

Not arsed about winning it one bit. 

Same. Enough minutes for the first 11 to maintain form but plenty of rotation and opportunity for younger players to thrive.. 

Yeah, it’s the club World Cup, I definitely want us to win it. 

Also fuck the Idiots In charge who didn’t help us out with our fixtures. Joke. Hopefully Villa rotate plenty themselves and it isn’t a proper hiding for our youngster. 

53 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure what's happened to Elliott and Brewster from this squad, they were originally named in the 23 man squad along with Jones and Williams and it was said they'll be travelling after the Villa game. But Jones and Williams are named here so assume they're not playing the League Cup game at all. Maybe this is just the players travelling today, I don't know.

On the point of first team players being left behind, I'm not sure how well it would have gone down if you told say, Milner, Lallana and Shaqiri 'we're going to go and become World champions but you're staying at home to play a League Cup quarter final'.

I agree that it's potentially not going to be good for the young players development though, I said as much when the situation became clear. I thought there would have been another solution that didn't involve us playing two games in less than 24 hours

It's a fair point, but I would've thought they'd be on board with getting minutes in the Villa game, while they might not in the CWC, then being flown out to join the squad for the tournament. Hopefully the idea is that they play in the tournament to give the likes of Salah and Mane the full 12 days off before returning to PL action on boxing day. I very much want to win it, but a second string squad should be enough to do that.

I don't think the FA have got anywhere near enough criticism for this. It's a total mess caused by the actual champions of Europe winning two fucking League Cup games. How has no one seen this coming and dealt with it in advance? It's absolutely shocking.

28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm hoping the squad/klopp treats the trip to Qatar as a warm weather break and treat the actual games like training sessions. 

Can't get my head around this, to be honest. Not arsed one bit?

It may not be the league or the Champions League, but we have a chance to be World Champions here. Surely that's got to excite you a little bit?

11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It's a fair point, but I would've thought they'd be on board with getting minutes in the Villa game, while they might not in the CWC, then being flown out to join the squad for the tournament. Hopefully the idea is that they play in the tournament to give the likes of Salah and Mane the full 12 days off before returning to PL action on boxing day. I very much want to win it, but a second string squad should be enough to do that.

I don't think the FA have got anywhere near enough criticism for this. It's a total mess caused by the actual champions of Europe winning two fucking League Cup games. How has no one seen this coming and dealt with it in advance? It's absolutely shocking.

It may not be the league or the Champions League, but we have a chance to be World Champions here. Surely that's got to excite you a little bit?

Not really. Being the champions of Europe basically makes you world champions anyway. We dont need to beat a second rate South American team for everyone to know we are better than them because, well, we are. Most top teams in Europe are better.

It's just a pointless competition as far as I'm concerned that is just a disruption during a domestic league campaign. 

If they really have to have this competition, do it in pre-season. That would be my suggestion.

Edited by LFCMadLad

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If Klopp wanted to do that why not just keep the first 11, or majority of, at home and not make them travel?

43 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'd rather we weren't having to go to a place like Qatar to play this tournament but I absolutely want to win it. 

I think Klopp will use it as a warm weather training camp to a degree. The semi final should be an opportunity to rotate.

39 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, it’s the club World Cup, I definitely want us to win it. 

Also fuck the Idiots In charge who didn’t help us out with our fixtures. Joke. Hopefully Villa rotate plenty themselves and it isn’t a proper hiding for our youngster. 

How many league points would you swap for a club World cup victory?

If you could choose between a cup win but a dropped 6 points in the league vs not winning the cup and taking full points?

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

If Klopp wanted to do that why not just keep the first 11, or majority of, at home and not make them travel?

Because then they wouldn't get a warm winter break silly xD

Klopp takes the full squad on warm winter breaks most years if possible.

Edited by LFCMadLad

26 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

My understanding was that we got permission to fly a few of the youngsters out after the Villa game, not sure what the situation with any first team players was. I think it's likely, as you say, a few of the fringe players will play in at least the semi final anyway

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

How many league points would you swap for a club World cup victory?

If you could choose between a cup win but a dropped 6 points in the league vs not winning the cup and taking full points?

Why are we losing league points to win this?

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

My understanding was that we got permission to fly a few of the youngsters out after the Villa game, not sure what the situation with any first team players was. I think it's likely, as you say, a few of the fringe players will play in at least the semi final anyway

I'm just gauging the extent to which your prioritising this tournament when you said your very r keen to see us win it...

Personally I'd not swap it for a point, or even a single game injury to a key player.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Because then they wouldn't get a warm winter break silly xD

Klopp takes the full squad on warm winter breaks most years if possible.

But in terms of not wanting to win it, surely keep the seniors in the UK, give them the break here (they don't have to necessarily play all of the Villa game) and send the kids to Qatar?

Not having a warm winter break isn't the worst thing surely in the context of the whole season?

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm just gauging the extent to which your prioritising this tournament when you said your very r keen to see us win it...

Personally I'd not swap it for a point, or even a single game injury to a key player.

Of course it's well behind the league and Champions League. The League Cup and FA Cup though? Well we're only playing two games to win this so I'd take it over the League Cup given the problems the semi final scheduling brings and the FA Cup, it would be nice to have a run in that but I wouldn't want us playing the first eleven to get through difficult ties.

If we look at it properly, it's only really one extra game for the first team to win this. The kids will be playing the League Cup game and there should be a chance to rotate in the semi final

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

But in terms of not wanting to win it, surely keep the seniors in the UK, give them the break here (they don't have to necessarily play all of the Villa game) and send the kids to Qatar?

Not having a warm winter break isn't the worst thing surely in the context of the whole season?

You're not getting me at all Stan xD

All I'm saying is, if it was me, I'd prefer to take the first team squad to Qatar for a warm winter break (which Klopp likes to do because it seems to refresh the players which helps us finish the season strongly) whilst using the 2 games as basically light training sessions whilst rotating all the players.

That is how I'd like it to pan out rather than the squad stay in England and play in the League Cup. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Well we can fly out whoever we want, just that anyone joining late can't be included in the playing squad (unless we've agreed special arrangements, which admittedly I hadn't heard about). I thought that would've been the way to do it; have a few of the fringe senior players steward the reserves through the Villa game, then get them to Qatar to join MadLad's warm weather training

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Klopp’s been trying to get knocked out of the League Cup for the last 2 rounds though. We’ve pretty clearly picked that as our lowest priority tournament - I can understand why, even though I think the CWC is stupid. The league cup doesn’t really offer prize money to most clubs in the top flight, the CWC pays out millions. Also we’ve never won the CWC, we’ve won the League Cup.

This season, Klopp just don’t Carabao that competition at all.

• Upvote 2

People talk as if our next league game is in the hands of the kids. For fuck sake we don’t play again in the league until Boxing Day.

The first team squad will play 2 games in the next week, and you can bet your arse the rotation against Monterrey will be substantial. The likes of Curtis Jones, and Van De Berg will get minutes while out there. The warm weather will be a blessing, a week away from the cold of Merseyside will do our players good and get them re energised for that match against Leicester. 

The only thing I don’t like is the fact that our youngsters will probably get slapped by Villa on Tuesday. Don’t like that for their development. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

People talk as if our next league game is in the hands of the kids. For fuck sake we don’t play again in the league until Boxing Day.

You do realise that boxing day is in 11 days time? 

We dont play our first game in the CWC until the 18th. That means we have 3 games in 9 days with all the travelling that goes with it. The chances of injuries is definitely higher and we are already light.

We aren't saying it's a disaster but come on, it's hardly ideal.

People have different views.... opinions hey. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You do realise that boxing day is in 11 days time? 

We dont play our first game in the CWC until the 18th. That means we have 3 games in 9 days with all the travelling that goes with it. The chances of injuries is definitely higher and we are already light.

We aren't saying it's a disaster but come on, it's hardly ideal.

People have different views.... opinions hey. 

The first team has two games in 9 days. What the youngsters are doing doesn’t effect them. Also, we may not go through so I could be one game in 11 days for the first team. 

It’s far from an ideal situation, but it’s not a disaster. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

The first team has two games in 9 days. What the youngsters are doing doesn’t effect them. Also, we may not go through so I could be one game in 11 days for the first team. 

No mate, the first team play on the 18th and 21st in Qatar and the 26th in the league. That's 3 games in 9 days.

Also, we still have 2 games in Qatar whether we lose the first or not. 3rd and 4th place has to be played for.

Far far from ideal.

Edited by LFCMadLad

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No mate, the first team play on the 18th, the 26th and a game inbetween. That's 3 games in 9 days.

Also, we still have 2 games in Qatar whether we lose the first or not. 3rd and 4th place has to be played for.

Forgot about the 3rd place play off. Still, I stand by my point that we are going to have heavy rotation. Clearly the case when we are sending the kids along too.