talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting

• The title was changed to Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting
22 hours ago, 6666 said:

Sucks for Newcastle. Harsh ban in my opinion, there should be a direct link to match fixing if it's a lengthy ban like this in my opinion. Still stupid from Tonali though.

He bet on his own matches, that’s about as direct of a link to match fixing without him admitting any intent, which he’d never do.

22 hours ago, 6666 said:

I was going off of @OrangeKhrush saying he didn't bet on any matches that he was involved...

Yeah, I think he's just made that up to feign outrage at this tbh. He's admitted he bet on Milan matches he played in, as well as other matches. He says it didn't impact how he played and claimed he's got a massive gambling addiction.

I'm not saying he's lying, because doing something stupid like betting on matches you can impact is absolutely something I could see a player with a compulsive gambling addiction doing without even thinking about. But there's no way to ever prove whether or not it did impact his performances - but banning a player for betting on their own matches is absolutely reasonable.

Zaniolo, on the other hand, has maintained he's not bet on football at all and that his online gambling was all on poker, blackjack, and shit like that. And if he's telling the truth, which I think the Italian authorities believe he is, I don't think any ban should be required for that. Because what the fuck does football have to do with poker or some shit like that? Fuck all and if he wants to gamble online playing games like that, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to do that. It's not going to impact any matches.

Generally speaking, footballers should just avoid gambling on anything football related. They've got friends on other teams, they've got friends in other leagues - it just creates too much of the appearance of match fixing being likely to allow tbh, even if match fixing hasn't occurred. But gambling on your own club is absolutely something that justifies lengthy bans imo. A player would have too much influence to negatively impact the integrity of the sport for their financial gain - it's basically the most common sense decision to have a blanket ban on that.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I think he's just made that up to feign outrage at this tbh. He's admitted he bet on Milan matches he played in, as well as other matches. He says it didn't impact how he played and claimed he's got a massive gambling addiction.

The only reason to bet on your own games is that you want to feel in some sort of control over the outcome of the bet. Maybe his gambling addiction drove him that far but I don't buy it not affecting his performance.

Hopefully during his time out of football, he can develop a healthier relationship with gambling or just stop altogether.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The only reason to bet on your own games is that you want to feel in some sort of control over the outcome of the bet. Maybe his gambling addiction drove him that far but I don't buy it not affecting his performance.

Hopefully during his time out of football, he can develop a healthier relationship with gambling or just stop altogether.

I totally agree with this. If you bet on your games, even if you say it's not affecting your performance, it's always going to be in the back of your mind that you have at least some control over what happens. And that's not accounting for the fact a high profile player, which he was, probably has a great deal of influence over his teammates as well. There's just too many possible angles for gambling on a match you're playing in to lead to what can look like match fixing.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with gambling. Obviously if you end up with an addiction... it can lead to quite shitty paths because that's what addiction does. And if he wasn't a professional footballer, I think he'd be in quite a lot more problems with his gambling than he's currently facing with the ban - apparently he's got quite a bit of gambling debt. He's fortunate he's got the Saudi funding paying his wages, if he overcomes addiction he'll still be really well off financially and in a better place. Surely a better place to be in as a gambling addict than up to your eyeballs in debt with no way out.

Personally, I don't think there's any good reasons for footballers to gamble on football. They've got too many connections in the sport to rule out even just the appearance of something corrupt by betting on football. If they want to gamble still, there's other shit to gamble on... bet on rugby or some shite like that, or take a page from Zaniolo's book and gamble on poker. Honestly, I think gambling on poker and blackjack is infinitely more fun...

But in Tonali's situation, if we take him at face value on his gambling addiction - it seems like he's got quite a serious problem with gambling, one where in another life he'd not be getting the same second chance he gets now. He's still very young, he's still going to make good money. He doesn't have to let this ruin him financially or otherwise. I imagine for someone with a problem as bad as he's alleged, stopping gambling all together is the best thing for him. I hope he gets the help that gambling rehab is meant to provide him and he comes out of this having learned a very important lesson - for his own sake.

Not many people are fortunate enough to have a bad addiction but also have the means and opportunity to beat it and come back from it stronger. He does - so hopefully he makes the most of it.

from Goal.com

Firstly, Tonali bet on games involving his own teams (Brescia and Milan) - but, thankfully, never to lose, which meant there was no element of alleged match-fixing.

for match fixing to be prevalent there has to be a detriment to the team, betting on yourself to win is not rigging a result.  There were also only 12 or so bets.  Ivan Toney was found to have bet against his own team in over 50 instances and things like fluffing a sitter , missing a spot kick.

fagioli in contrast be on negative outcomes where his own performance can be so low it caused Juventus to drop points, he was also betting on himself being so bad he would be substituted by half time

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Firstly, Tonali bet on games involving his own teams (Brescia and Milan) - but, thankfully, never to lose, which meant there was no element of alleged match-fixing.

for match fixing to be prevalent there has to be a detriment to the team, betting on yourself to win is not rigging a result

But betting on your own team, regardless, is a bannable offence, no? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Stan said:

But betting on your own team, regardless, is a bannable offence, no? 

I would say it's safer to make it bankable so as to remove the element altogether, however the extent of the ban needs to be taken relative to the facts of each case.  A person who did not bet on negative results or outcomes in a game should not be banned longer than a person who has nearly 300 counts and over 50 counts of detrimental impact on outcomes.

I would think an 18-36 month suspended sentence, 200k fine and rehabilitation, community service etc would have been more fair.

• 4 months later...

On one hand he's an idiot. How difficult can it be to avoid betting on football?

On the other hand, it's proof he has a massive addiction problem and needs help.

I think he’s got to worry more about what the manager thinks about it than the fans. The fans might get pissed off now but fans are fickle and if he’s playing we he’ll be easily forgiven.