talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting

it seems like the counts if sports betting are limited, most of his activity is gambling related which makes it different to Toney and Toffolo who had 200-300 sports bets.   If it was the FA probe he would get a suspended sentence but Italy have a far more Gestapo like process.

I am with Palace Fan, Tonali and Milan would have known something if at very least tonali would have and may have said something or colluded with Milan to make money off him.

if tonali got a 3 year ban we would have sought immediate cancellation of the contract without paying him a dime as he would have reneged on the contract by way of misrepresentation.   The question is then do we take UEFA on in that the 55m be reallocated to FFP and the transfer be written off or do we pursue Milan who could have been told by tonali at the time of negotiations that he has a potential defect that could cause legal action.

18 months is a long time in football however Saudi and the US seem to be options for a loan where he can play until the UEFA ban ends.   Saudi Arabia wants to be regulated by UEFA so perhaps looking unlikely but a loan to America seems plausible as they are not regulated by UEFA.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Imagine if Newcastle knew this all along and thought it wouldn't come to fruition/they could get away with it too. 

There is no benefit, you can't claim a benefit when you stand with 100% risk.  Newcastle is a victim of Mala fides.  Certain information cannot be investigated due to privacy laws and most contracts will contain a clause that the parties declare no latent defects.  if you purposely information and the other party relies on the misrepresentation to their detriment, in law of torts that is a breach of contract.

On 19/10/2023 at 03:43, OrangeKhrush said:

I am with Palace Fan, Tonali and Milan would have known something if at very least tonali would have and may have said something or colluded with Milan to make money off him.

Why would he have said anything to them though?

I think it's funny he's meant to go to gambling rehab while nobody in the governing bodies of football seems to have any issue with him playing for a club that is sponsored by and promotes Sportsbet.io, BET MGM, and Fun88 - and if you scroll all the way down on www.nufc.co.uk you'll see their logos nicely arranged in that order.

Taking the integrity of the sport out of why players can't gamble - which is hard to do because that's a serious concern for sure - is it right we've got so much promotion of online gambling in football?

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's funny he's meant to go to gambling rehab while nobody in the governing bodies of football seems to have any issue with him playing for a club that is sponsored by and promotes Sportsbet.io, BET MGM, and Fun88 - and if you scroll all the way down on www.nufc.co.uk you'll see their logos nicely arranged in that order.

Taking the integrity of the sport out of why players can't gamble - which is hard to do because that's a serious concern for sure - is it right we've got so much promotion of online gambling in football?

Not right at all. I think there's been extensive research into gambling addiction as a result of how much it is visible and accessible in the sport and it's quite damning. Not enough is done to prevent players gambling, let alone fans.

It's the same as Toney. Played a lot in the Skybet football league, and had plenty of shirt sponsors that were gambling companies. 

It's unbelievable hypocritical. 

• Upvote 1

I've been reading Tonali is the 1 potentially in deepest with Italian FA.

Widely expected that Zaniolo gets a fine.

And yes, as others above, if it's ok to be on a football shirt, it should really be ok for footballers themselves to use whatever service or product is on offer. Clearly something wrong if it's in conflict.

The gambling firms are off the front of Premier League shirts in a couple more seasons. Will still be ok as the arm logo things, etc, as far as I know. Not sure how things are in Italy, but Villa have had to play in Europe with plain shirts. Depending on local rulings.

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not right at all. I think there's been extensive research into gambling addiction as a result of how much it is visible and accessible in the sport and it's quite damning. Not enough is done to prevent players gambling, let alone fans.

It's the same as Toney. Played a lot in the Skybet football league, and had plenty of shirt sponsors that were gambling companies. 

Are they stopping all kinds of gambling sponsorship (I don't know whether this was just Premier League or across the leagues) in a couple of years or is it just the shirt sponsorships?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Are they stopping all kinds of gambling sponsorship (I don't know whether this was just Premier League or across the leagues) in a couple of years or is it just the shirt sponsorships?

I vaguely remember seeing something about it, and thought it was coming in next season. But don't recall full details. 

This was the announcement by the Premier League, as recent as April this year.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12856367/premier-league-clubs-agree-to-withdraw-gambling-sponsorships-on-front-of-shirts

Villa were criticised by fans & neutrals for signing up with BK8 soon after. And for the remaining 3 seasons before the ban.

I don't know any certain detail, but the Villa in Europe evidence suggests a football shirt ban could well be an EU thing already in place. Legia Warsaw away being with blank Villa shirts. And today AZ Alkmaar away with Villa Foundation, as presumably free of charge shirt sponsor.

So the Premier League decision was perhaps to follow the European wide change.

Could be extra ££'s if Villa do well in Europe & a demand is there for a supply of Villa Foundation replica tops.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fun 88 are not the main sponsor anymore and per UEFA rules by 2026 no betting or loan companies may not be shirt sponsors anymore.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

for me I have no issue with player bans provided there is proof of match fixing, gambling seems harsh as gambling is not technically illegal.  It seems odd that a sports person can't gamble but everyone else can.

sure I would not encourage gambling and I would certainly be for rehabilitation but being banned for playing poker online is kind of harsh.

43 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Fun 88 are not the main sponsor anymore and per UEFA rules by 2026 no betting or loan companies may not be shirt sponsors anymore.

Yeah look on your clubs website though brainiac, there’s more sponsors for a club than just the shirt sponsor 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

for me I have no issue with player bans provided there is proof of match fixing, gambling seems harsh as gambling is not technically illegal.  It seems odd that a sports person can't gamble but everyone else can.

sure I would not encourage gambling and I would certainly be for rehabilitation but being banned for playing poker online is kind of harsh.

It's not for playing poker, is it?

Footballers betting on their own teams is dodgy as fuck. No matter how 'innocent' it may seem, they could be seen as a way to influence the result.

I get that addiction is a problem, but it has to be a pretty serious and impacting one for a player to bet on their own team, playing in the game or not, knowing that it's quite an explicit rule that you are not allowed to do that. I'd have a bit more leniency for players just doing a random acca that will have no bearing on their their team. But Toney and Tonali (and Fagioli?) all betted on their own team's results at one point or other. And that a) shouldn't be allowed and b) that's what they should get help towards avoiding. 

• Subscriber

Betting in general is one thing but if you're betting on a match you're involved in out of the thousands of games you can bet on each day, you're not doing it because of a gambling addiction, you're doing it because of cheating/corruption.

It's funny how this one seems to have been resolved so quickly while the Lucas Paqueta one which seemed to be absolutely beyond any reasonable doubt, seems to have gone totally quiet. 

• The title was changed to Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting