talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting

14 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I'll sound like a Maggie Smith but here goes. Are they saying that it was illegal betting in the sense of footballers not being allowed to bet on football, or serious illegal betting shit like dog fighting etc?

Not really stated Maggie but it mentions in the below article that from yesterday, Fagioli is under investigation for apparently using different identities to bet on illegal websites, which seems to point to the latter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67085496

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

Really do not need any complications here. Zaniolo only in on loan as a necessity, due to Buendia long term & Ramsey still struggling.

Still, at least Villa will have an easier route to look for an alternative in January. And as an emergency available loan option he was, he's unsurprisingly looked a weak link.

But, if it is an Italian thing only, could it just be international careers punished? 

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I'll sound like a Maggie Smith but here goes. Are they saying that it was illegal betting in the sense of footballers not being allowed to bet on football, or serious illegal betting shit like dog fighting etc?

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Footballers can bet on other sports yeah? Just not football. Can they bet on a league that has no affect on them?

In Italy they're not meant to bet on anything online I'm 99% sure. I think Tonali and Zaniolo have alleged they were just playing poker online, which might get them banned from playing in Italy but I don't know if they can enforce that ban in the UK. Fagioli said he was betting on matches he was playing in and that the other 2 were also betting on football.

the Italian position seems to extend betting into the realm of gambling where even poker or roulette are regarded as illegal.  

I haven't yet read anything on what tonali did but apparently zaniolo did make sports bets against his own team while playing for Roma, that is a bit of a problem.

On 14/10/2023 at 02:27, OrangeKhrush said:

the Italian position seems to extend betting into the realm of gambling where even poker or roulette are regarded as illegal.  

I haven't yet read anything on what tonali did but apparently zaniolo did make sports bets against his own team while playing for Roma, that is a bit of a problem.

Seems like everyone involved was betting on football, including on their own teams. Tonali's agreed to get treatment for gambling addiction. I wonder if Milan knew, maybe Maldini was sacked to save his reputation & Tonali was sold without much negotiation to just try to get value for him before he's banned for this.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Seems like everyone involved was betting on football, including on their own teams. Tonali's agreed to get treatment for gambling addiction. I wonder if Milan knew, maybe Maldini was sacked to save his reputation & Tonali was sold without much negotiation to just try to get value for him before he's banned for this.

If true Newcastle have every right to go after Milan. Assuming this wasn't disclosed. 

Edited by Cicero

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If true Newcastle have every right to go after Milan. Assuming this wasn't disclosed. 

How would they prove it though? Milan would just deny, unless they're stupid enough to have given written communication from the club about this there's nothing that Newcastle can really point to as evidence. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I read the same,  if Milan knew and didn't disclose we will be able to sue them.   We could also terminate the players contract without reciprocal performance, or put differently,  we will be able to cancel his contract without paying him anything.  I don't think it will go that far though,  unless there is a 3 year ban.   

I am also not sure how an italian ban applies in England. 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How would they prove it though? Milan would just deny, unless they're stupid enough to have given written communication from the club about this there's nothing that Newcastle can really point to as evidence. 

14 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I read the same,  if Milan knew and didn't disclose we will be able to sue them.   We could also terminate the players contract without reciprocal performance, or put differently,  we will be able to cancel his contract without paying him anything.  I don't think it will go that far though,  unless there is a 3 year ban.   

I am also not sure how an italian ban applies in England. 

Has it been confirmed that Milan knew anything? 

Breaking:

Sandro Tonali has admitted to betting on Milan to win matches after his agent Beppe Riso revealed he has a gambling addiction. He will receive support from the Italian FA. #NUFC yet to comment.

Maximum punishment is a three-year ban, but likely to be reduced to 12 months. pic.twitter.com/VvZdOp3kKi

Betting on your own team's games is a fairly severe case, you would think. 

I fully sympathise but it feels somewhat unfair/cynical if a gambling addiction gets you a half or more reduction in your penalty. The point of addictions being diagnosable illnesses is to enable people to correct their behaviour and confront the consequences, not dodge them.

• The title was changed to Sandro Tonali - 10-month Ban for Illegal Betting