talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 23 - 3-5th February, 2024

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does he follow in the footsteps of other referees and have a side-gig reffing in the UAE midweek?

Honestly the protection keepers get is baffling, it couldn’t have been more of a foul if Ederson tried lol

Well that went about as well as I thought it would. We had a great first half, grabbed a goal and defended pretty soundly and kept City to mostly speculative long-range efforts. But of course you make one mistake and City take advantage.

Second half City turned up the heat and whilst we can pick holes in our defence for his second goal, Foden was pure class. A deserved win for them. We almost turned the game on its head with Norgaard’s chance, just had to hit it to the left, but Dias blocked well and then City scored their third. Game of fine margins, but City manage to stretch those margins so wide and tbh they could have stepped up about 2 or 3 gears.

When they were struggling for results earlier in the season it was clear Foden was their main man, no De Bruyne, Gundo just gone, he deserves credit for tonight but reality is hes been at it all season. So so good.

We can definitely consider Brentford in trouble and their February and March fixtures are not easy.

They have Wolves, Liverpool and City in their next three, they then go to Chelsea and end February against Arsenal.  In March they have West ham, Brighton, villa and man united with a possible banker in Burnley.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

We can definitely consider Brentford in trouble and their February and March fixtures are not easy.

They have Wolves, Liverpool and City in their next three, they then go to Chelsea and end February against Arsenal.  In March they have West ham, Brighton, villa and man united with a possible banker in Burnley.

I'm guessing Wissa comes back soon with AFCON ending. Not sure when Mbuemo is back @Danny?

I think they'll have more than enough in them to recover or at least get enough points than 3 teams below them will. Definitely Sheff Utd. Everton are tricky to call because they can be quite resolute and persistent, like grabbing a point vs Spurs. Forest hopefully go down too - their next five are Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Liverpool and Brighton. So 5 of the same teams Brentford have. 

• Subscriber

There's no point in trying to figure out the relegation battle this season. Burnley and Sheffield United are gone. They'll either be joined by Everton, Forest or Luton and that will be decided in the court room, not on the football pitch. 

The Premier League have left themselves in the farcical position where, if Everton and Forest appeal any punishment from this season's charge (which they will), the timeline for the resolution of the appeals process ends after the last weekend of the season, meaning that Luton, for example, might be 16th at the close of play in May, and then might end up in the Championship this season following two clubs below them getting points back on appeal. It's like they decided VAR re-refereeing games was so popular that they'd do a league table version.

Luton are doing an impressive job but it's also a purple patch we're looking at. These predictions of them finishing ahead of Crystal Palace and Brentford are a bit premature in my opinion. They're doing a good enough job to stay in "points deduction range" of Forest and Everton that they could potentially stay up.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm guessing Wissa comes back soon with AFCON ending. Not sure when Mbuemo is back @Danny?

I think they'll have more than enough in them to recover or at least get enough points than 3 teams below them will. Definitely Sheff Utd. Everton are tricky to call because they can be quite resolute and persistent, like grabbing a point vs Spurs. Forest hopefully go down too - their next five are Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Liverpool and Brighton. So 5 of the same teams Brentford have. 

It is our luck that the players we’ve sent to AFCON and the Asia Cup have all reached the semi-finals lol. But Wissa, Onyeka and Ghoddos should be back soon yeah.

Mbeumo was due to go to AFCON but suffered an injury just before that will keep him out until the end of March, or at least that’s the timeline given. Kevin Schade recently suffered a knock-back that will put his injury return back until the end of March also. Aaron Hickey should be back sometimes between February and March. Josh Dasilva has only recently returned from injury but was absent yesterday thanks to you guessed it, another fucking injury.

Our season has been completely derailed by injuries and I think at this point in the season, I’m not sure there is another team who’ve had it worse. Spurs, United and Newcastle are all seeing their players return now. But for us, as players return we either see new players injured or players expected to return get injured again.

What I will say is, we could have come away from the Spurs and City games with 2 points had we been extremely clinical, the Spurs game was the first time we had a lot of players back fit and ready to go. Toney, Dasilva, Damsgaard, Lewis-Potter, Jensen, Collins, Mee. We haven’t been that good since the season started pre-injuries, last night we were again phenomenal for large parts but City will break you down.

I don’t think we’re in a relegation battle even if we are down there. These are two top performances we’ve put in against top sides, we will lick points up soon against some of the big teams in February (a very difficult run) and once thats done the fixtures get easier. We could suffer some more injuries in which case yeah, we could be down in a battle come April, but as long as we keep players fit I think we’ll be fine as we are playing well.

On 06/02/2024 at 08:47, RandoEFC said:

Luton are doing an impressive job but it's also a purple patch we're looking at. These predictions of them finishing ahead of Crystal Palace and Brentford are a bit premature in my opinion.

You said around October/November time we wouldn't get relegated and were doing everything we can to prove you wrong xD.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You said around October/November time we wouldn't get relegated and were doing everything we can to prove you wrong xD.

I won't lie, Palace are low on quality and the quality you do have has been ravaged by injuries but you've got a probable new manager bounce in your back pocket and there's no way you're finishing behind Burnley or Sheffield United.

You'd have to finish below Luton and Everton and Forest would have to get small or no points penalties as well as that for Palace go down.

You might be in bother if Everton's appeal goes really well and they get a large chunk of points back (unlikely) because that would take us back ahead of you and would suggest any further penalty wouldn't be that big, and perhaps Forest only get 4 points or something as well. I'd still back you to finish ahead of Luton though.

• The topic was unpinned