talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 23 - 3-5th February, 2024

• Administrator

Not Alisson's best day at the office. 

Trossard did well to create the opportunity but no way Alisson should be getting beaten there through his own legs. 

Not sure why Klopp moved Diaz to right back though before that. One way to shoot yourself in the foot, move one of your biggest threats away into a defensive position. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

And I take that back Allison, that took a VdV deflection in through his legs

It did, but you could fit a tank through the gap he left there. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It did, but you could fit a tank through the gap he left there. 

Yeah but without the deflection I think he saves it, hence the space.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Mikel Arteta is an absolute weapon

Haha he is but its also hilarious

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Very Arsenaly that. Execute a game plan perfectly and then just undo it with one totally avoidable moment of incompetence. 

Nobody would be surprised to see Liverpool dominate the second half now because Arsenal are generally weak mentally and will let that one setback ruin the confidence they were playing with.

Fair enough to Arsenal. Pretty convincing actually in that second half but very much thanks to that gift from Van Dijk/Alisson. If it stayed 1-1 then Arsenal could still have been susceptible later on when things got cagey.

Just now, Danny said:

In wish they would shut the fuck up about the VAR goal at Spurs, its so boring

That and the Dalot red card though are kind of two highlights of the season and the standard of refereeing we’ve seen - imo. I’m all for the media putting pressure on PMGOL to reduce the number of idiotic moments from refs.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure that's the case, especially for Arsenal's goal considering it was just one lump up from defence. It was lack of communication and/or responsibility and just a bad mix up. Don't think you can blame playing out the back as the issue, especially as Alisson was looking to smash it away. 

As for the Liverpool goal, again more a lack of communication and good from Diaz to force the mistake. 

To me, there felt like dwelling for keepers to own the situations. Alisson does go long quite a lot. And I think he does have a few assists from it over his career. Not really sure how or why he didn't. Maybe thought he could injure himself or van Dijk? Or give something away on Martinelli?

But on the 2nd mix up & the 3rd going right through him, Alisson has cost them a point that would have flattered them today.

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Horrid performance from us today though. Just never got going really. 

Wish Klopp had just gave Bradley the start. Trent looked awful today. The whole team were save for ten minutes at the start of the second half. 

Deserved to win the previous encounter just like today, thankfully didn't mess it up this time. Liverpool still in a good position but it's a great result for Man City. Need to keep this up. Hopefully the cringe worthy Klopp coverage calms down now a bit. 

The celebrations from Arsenal were embarrassing. Odegaard acting like a right pleb taking photos like they just lifted the World Cup trophy. They celebrate like this all the time, looks tinpot. 

I do agree with Gary Neville that the celebrations were over the top. I remember years ago in League One, Brentford lost a tight fought game against Tranmere Rovers who were at the time very surprisingly top of the table. They celebrated the win as if they had just qualified for an FA Cup semi-final and it showed that they didnt have the mentality to go the distance as its a clear sign of pressure building up too early on.

With that said I really liked the celebrations with Odegaard and the photographer, he’s proper Arsenal and the players clearly love him. I think moments like that are what makes a club, gives a team and its fans character throughout a specific period of time, and it brings the players closer to the fans knowing that one of their own and a loyal servant to the club is getting treated like that on the pitch. I don’t think Arsenal will lose the title because of that celebration specifically. It reminds me of the connection our clubs has made with Woody. It also reminds me of a lad with down syndrome who used to work for the club, and before a big game against Chelsea in the FA Cup (I think Chelsea, could have been a league game) at Griffin Park, stood in front of a packed Ealing Road stand and led the terrace in the pre-match songs.

I think Arteta’a run you could criticise if you wanted, maybe some of the other players, but I think Odegaard and the photographer is the type of connection every fanbase wants to see at their club. It’s not just a celebration, it becomes culture.

But overall Neville does have a point, their celebrations in general look like a team who are happy to be in the title race rather than a team who believe they can win it.

Edited by Danny

I got to be honest here, who really cares about how they celebrated? 

Football is about emotions and passion. We are all human. They can celebrate a win any way they like. Some games will naturally always mean more than others.

They just beat one of the most in form teams in Europe in a must win game for their season, in front of their fans and it comes a few weeks back from when the same team done them on their turf in the Cup and got to laud it.

They've every right to celebrate however they choose as long as they can stomach and accept it back at them when they are turned over.

I just don't get why that card needs to be played. 

• Upvote 1

• The topic was unpinned