talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

20 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What smiley culture said. You scrub out or do it half arsed because who gives a singular fuck about who gets more make believe points.

You're a good lad but I'll have to disagree and ignore the advice.

I choose to play because I enjoy it and the social side it creates amongst my mates. We are all in relationships but there may well be a couple bored dad's to be fair xD

As the famous saying goes, each to their own.

If you like watching grown men in tight pants grapple eachother, or Smiley likes spending a pound on a Double to win back £3.77, you guys enjoy it.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 3

I've got a few. Some I've stated before, others I haven't.

- Marek Hamsik was the best playmaker in the world under Sarri besides Messi

- Germany was better in the 2010 World Cup than 2014 as a whole.

- Cavani is a better player than Suarez in 2020. 

- Croatia gets credit for their 2018 World Cup for the feel good story of making the final for the first time and with that population. You can bet those same people criticized Portugal at the 2016 Euros though when it was nearly the same deal.

- Griezmann is not world class and never has been.

- Peru didn't play a bad 2018 World Cup, but they were put in a group with a team that is better (France) and a team about even (Denmark). Particularly that game against Denmark was always a coin toss, and that time we were picked to lose.

- Costa Rica's aging generation doesn't mean they don't have young talent coming through and I reckon their new batch of players could be almost as good. They will continue qualifying for World Cups.

- Canada's national team has quality over quantity compared to the USMNT.

Another one - I said this the other day but will post it here again. Jerome Boateng is a complete fraud.

Doing well against the likes of Augsburg or Union Berlin is important for consistency but everytime he's been forced to play at a higher standard, he's been exposed and makes constant errors game after game. He's one of the reasons Bayern haven't won the CL in recent years. Mistakes always come via him. 

He's a Schalke or a Leverkusen player at best.

Just now, Stan said:

Have you seen these teams this season, moreso recently?!

Schalke and Leverkusen are usually a top half/CL fighting side. Maybe not this season, but most of the time they fight to get to that spot. 

I'm not convinced that he's good enough for Dortmund or Leipzig either to be honest, if they want to compete for honours they need better.

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Another one - I said this the other day but will post it here again. Jerome Boateng is a complete fraud.

Doing well against the likes of Augsburg or Union Berlin is important for consistency but everytime he's been forced to play at a higher standard, he's been exposed and makes constant errors game after game. He's one of the reasons Bayern haven't won the CL in recent years. Mistakes always come via him. 

He's a Schalke or a Leverkusen player at best.

Now that is just nonsense. There was a period of time he was an amazing defender and a capable athelete. Just beucase Boateng isn't so great now doesn't mean he never was. Boateng + Hummels was a great partnership.

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Now that is just nonsense. There was a period of time he was an amazing defender and a capable athelete. Just beucase Boateng isn't so great now doesn't mean he never was. Boateng + Hummels was a great partnership.

I don't know about 2013 and before.

Ever since Messi broke his ankles, he's been borderline awful and I still see others on Twitter, forums, social media and in real life that claim Boateng to be a world class CB.

In fact, even in the 2014 World Cup he was exposed to an extent. I remember losing count the amount of times Neuer had to bail the Germans out against Ghana and Algeria. 

• Administrator

How much Bundesliga have you watched since then? Just wondering what 'borderline awful' equates to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember you saying in a matchday thread that you don't watch much...

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

How much Bundesliga have you watched since then? Just wondering what 'borderline awful' equates to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember you saying in a matchday thread that you don't watch much...

That's my point though mate.

I can't comment on how he is against the weaker teams. Bayern vs Augsburg, Bayern vs Union Berlin, I don't really pay attention to those. 

I have been paying attention more now here in quarantine and he's awful against them too, but I can't comment on how he was against those sides in say 2016 for example. 

I can comment on how he's done in higher quality games. Against the likes of Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, even Ajax. And everyone of those games he always gets beaten to the ground by the opposition.

So in theory, if you do well against weaker teams consistently but always fail a bit above your level, then I'm sorry but you're not world class. I would say it's a "big game mentality" thing, but how many more mistakes does he need to make in order for that to not be a thing?

I've also seen him for Germany. In 2014 he was OK at best. He got torn apart against Ghana and Algeria though.

In 2018, he was a bloody shambles.

He's not a good defender in my eyes.

Edited by Inti Brian

37 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You're both right. 

He's declined massively in recent years. Most top centre backs still perform at an elite level in their early 30s

Yeah, I for one am a big fan of defenders in their 30's. I can't remember a time Boateng was ever good, but your point stands in that people still rate him that highly.

For example, after Demichelis made that penalty mistake and the memes broke out, I defended him because the rest of his season was excellent.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

That's my point though mate.

I can't comment on how he is against the weaker teams. Bayern vs Augsburg, Bayern vs Union Berlin, I don't really pay attention to those. 

I have been paying attention more now here in quarantine and he's awful against them too, but I can't comment on how he was against those sides in say 2016 for example. 

I can comment on how he's done in higher quality games. Against the likes of Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, even Ajax. And everyone of those games he always gets beaten to the ground by the opposition.

So in theory, if you do well against weaker teams consistently but always fail a bit above your level, then I'm sorry but you're not world class. I would say it's a "big game mentality" thing, but how many more mistakes does he need to make in order for that to not be a thing?

I've also seen him for Germany. In 2014 he was OK at best. He got torn apart against Ghana and Algeria though.

In 2018, he was a bloody shambles.

He's not a good defender in my eyes.

Who's calling him world class now though?

I genuinely think the introduction of the third European club competition is all pre-planned. The elite will pick who they want and go off and have a Nations League type competition between themselves, the Europa will be the premier club competition for the rest of the clubs and the third competition will be the secondary competition, much like the Europa is now. 

• Administrator

Isn't that the plan now anyway? Have the third competition for those clubs that don't usually get in to Europe?

My main concern is that once the CL is closed off to try and angle it for the elite clubs (if that hasn't happened already), what's the criteria to break in to that elite? Or even if they go off on a tournament themselves, how do other clubs try and break that glass ceiling?

I'm not sure it's that unpopular to be honest. The way football is/was going was pointing towards a select elite of clubs forming their own 'clique' and continuing to get money plied in to them through sponsorships/TV while the others are left to just do what they can.

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions