talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

On 25/08/2017 at 1:56 PM, Azeem98 said:

The only way to make teams give importance to the FA cup is by letting the winner play in the Champions league play-offs

That belittles the competition. Winning the trophy should be enough for any team.

I always found Bundesliga a mediocre league, still no clue how it is Germany in the 2nd place for ranking where they have only  1 good team out of 18. Their league is just a tiny bit better than the Ducth League.

On the other hand I never understood why Ligue 1 is considerated such a bad league. Only because their team never win UCL or Europa League doesn't mean it is not entertaning. It is the only league where everybody more or less stand a chance of doing good. It baffles me everytime when people keep attacking it as it like a lower class league. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bundesligafan93 said:

I always found Bundesliga a mediocre league, still no clue how it is Germany in the 2nd place for ranking where they have only  1 good team out of 18. Their league is just a tiny bit better than the Ducth League.

On the other hand I never understood why Ligue 1 is considerated such a bad league. Only because their team never win UCL or Europa League doesn't mean it is not entertaning. It is the only league where everybody more or less stand a chance of doing good. It baffles me everytime when people keep attacking it as it like a lower class league. 

In reality, and definitely from now on, it'll be Monaco and PSG vying for the title like it is in Germany where it's really only Dortmund and Bayern who are the big guns that can compete for the title. Bayern more so obviously.

Germany is ranked higher because of the profile of the players and how well the national team does/is doing. From the outside, and not that I watch a lot of the Dutch league though, Bundesliga is streets ahead of it. German teams are always more competitive in Europe. Other than Ajax last season, has any other Dutch side ever come close to winning a European trophy in the last 10-15 years?

I mean in Bundesliga games are not very tactic. You see lot of spaces ti do eveeything . Its same as Dutch League where You have tons of spaces and nornally lot of gosls are scored.i was discussing the structure of the League and the characteristic not the strength of the club 

Games in Serie A and ligue 1 are more tactical and for me they are harder to play than Bundesliga or Dutch League .

20 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

That belittles the competition. Winning the trophy should be enough for any team.

It is enough already!  It gets a failure to be offered a new contract with a £2m raise.  Let me rephrase...  It's enough for some!

I think the problem is that the champions league is worth so much money and attracts players so managers prioritize it. Below the top 7 managers are under so much preassure to stay in the league they don't field their strongest teams. I heard Alan Shearer say last year that Bournemouth should have put out a stronger team as they had no chance of going down and had nothing to loose. Although Bournemouth had  bad run and they're was talk of them going down at one point so in some ways they were right to do it. I don't think the cups are taken as seriously in other countries and this is perhaps becoming the case in England with teams but not the fans. Although it shouldn't need it perhaps giving a champions league spot to it would help it.

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It is enough already!  It gets a failure to be offered a new contract with a £2m raise.  Let me rephrase...  It's enough for some!

Actually I think that offer was on the table before we even won it. If we had lost 5.0 he still would have got a pay rise

Edited by Guest

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Actually I think that offer was on the table before we even won it.

The offer was a personal deal between both Stan Kroenke and Arsene Wenger (a private meeting).

But assuming you're correct mate...  Tell me which business runs in a manner where an unsigned contract (which isn't bound) can't be reviewed taking into account the year's assessment?

If true what you say (which I don't believe), then it's even more proof that we're run like a shambles and anarchy is running riot at the club with contracts and serious decisions. 

Not a well run business. Well technically that's not true we generate a lot of money which is all our owners care about but in terms of success it is very bad.

On the other point i thought wenger was offered a new contract before the cup final??

I've got a few.

Troisi is the 3rd best Aussie player, behind Mooy and Ryan.

Germany are still currently better than Brazil

Timo Werner is the next generations best striker, or top 3. Think Maxi Gomez might get there someday too but in his case its still a bit too soon.

Ricardo Gareca will become the best Peruvian NT manager in history if he takes Peru to the world cup. Brought the team back to its traditional style, and will have taken a team that was in the nothing and turned them into a top team. Over Marcos Calderon and Didi would be a debate, but I have my reasons. Maybe if not the best, then the "hero".

South America will still see success in the world cup. In 2010, the quality wasn't fantastic either but 4 of the 5 still reached the quarter finals. Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Peru are all capable of making it past the group. The one team that will likely be there that I think won't make it through theirs is Uruguay.

This France generation will be wasted and won't win anything. Just like Colombia in the 1990's, Argentina right now and The Netherlands in the 1970's.

Lee Seung-Woo will become the best Asian player of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

The Champions League Group Stages are, largely, poor. It seems like there's gaps forming in that, the richest clubs are getting richer and the rest are a fair way behind, despite not exactly being bad clubs or poor financially.

The aggregate score of games won in the first matchday of the Champions League this season was 40-6. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

The Champions League Group Stages are, largely, poor. It seems like there's gaps forming in that, the richest clubs are getting richer and the rest are a fair way behind, despite not exactly being bad clubs or poor financially.

The aggregate score of games won in the first matchday of the Champions League this season was 40-6. 

Put simply, there are too many bad teams in the Champions League. Most of the teams on the receiving end of a one sided beating this week won their league and simply couldn't hold a candle to teams from a better league, champions or otherwise. With the exception of the occasional shock result, this happens every year. Remember this next time someone comes out with the utter stupidity that the competition should only be open to league champions.

25 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Put simply, there are too many bad teams in the Champions League. Most of the teams on the receiving end of a one sided beating this week won their league and simply couldn't hold a candle to teams from a better league, champions or otherwise. With the exception of the occasional shock result, this happens every year. Remember this next time someone comes out with the utter stupidity that the competition should only be open to league champions.

I don't think teams are necessarily 'bad', you might get the odd Azerbaijani qualifier who will go on to lose all group games or the like but they should usually be commended for their efforts in the qualifying rounds. I just think there's such a financial disparity in the competition and that is what makes this stage of the competition far weaker. 

Take Feyenoord for example, they're a famous European name and producers of many talented footballers but they're getting humped by the oil-rich Manchester City and they're not alone. If it's not the oligarchs, it's Arabian Sheikh's and Princes or energy drink companies pumping millions into a football team.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dan said:

It's a chicken and egg scenario like most of football. There is literally no possible way Qarabag could ever compete with Chelsea as a club no matter what they did. It's geared that way.

I think that is why I now prefer the Europa League Group Stages, it's not as cut and dry overall as the Champions League Group Stages.

Manchester United lost twice in last season's Group Stages, Dundalk beat Maccabi Tel-Aviv and only lost 2-1 to Zenit, Roma drew three games, Genk topped their group, Sassuolo finished bottom, Fiorentina lost to PAOK and Southampton and Internazionale failed to qualify from their group. 

I think as well you get a more diverse selection of sides than the Champions League, where the same sides seem to qualify year in, year out. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I think that is why I now prefer the Europa League Group Stages, it's not as cut and dry overall as the Champions League Group Stages.

Manchester United lost twice in last season's Group Stages, Dundalk beat Maccabi Tel-Aviv and only lost 2-1 to Zenit, Roma drew three games, Genk topped their group, Sassuolo finished bottom, Fiorentina lost to PAOK and Southampton and Internazionale failed to qualify from their group. 

I think as well you get a more diverse selection of sides than the Champions League, where the same sides seem to qualify year in, year out. 

Yep I agree to an extent. The whole objective UEFA have is to get the same teams to the latter stages as much as they possibly can. That's why every little thing gets geared in their favour. See how they're going to give England, Germany, Spain and Italy four group stage places each automatically in the next couple of years. They continue giving certain clubs and leagues a bigger and bigger advantage and in my eyes, in doing so, undermine their own competition and make any achievements far less impressive.

Alberto Rodriguez, who plays for Universitario is better than 80% of center backs in the Premier League. He's only here because of age, but even then he's still got it for a top tier league as proven in the qualifiers.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Alberto Rodriguez, who plays for Universitario is better than 80% of center backs in the Premier League. He's only here because of age, but even then he's still got it for a top tier league as proven in the qualifiers.

so is he there because of age or not?

if he's good enough for a top tier league, why is he not in one?

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

so is he there because of age or not?

if he's good enough for a top tier league, why is he not in one?

He's here because he chose to come back.

In the qualifiers he's shut down almost every forward that's come against him. Suarez, Martins, Vargas, Higuain to an extent, the only one who really got the better of him was Gabriel Jesus. 

And in the Peruvian league, the quality shows. Its a low standard league, but its almost too easy for him. He barely even tries.

It should be noted that he's injury prone though, so that might have something to do with it.

Edited by Guest

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions