talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Football Opinions

football forum

17 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I see. I'm a little annoyed with myself for getting dragged in and not getting done some of the things I wanted to yesterday, but I'm not angry, and certainly not with anyone else.

Believe me I'm on the same boat!

I'm way overdue on a lot of things for my site now because of this silly argument and football manager. At least we can agree on something xD

14 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

talk facts though doofus not fake news!!! The defender you claim is so good was getting offer to an argie team after failing to sign with peñarol. if he is as good as you claim, he would be playing for Racing right now..better yet, Boca or River

Unlike the others, i know when to call out your bullshit! 

He's dropped a level.

Not sure how unpopular this is within my South American brothers, but the expansion the Libertadores had worked well in the end, it didn't dilute the level at all and made it a yearly thing instead of only half.

Its not without flaws as there are 2 big ones. Obviously the unoriginality by CONMEBOL (making it a very similar format to the UCL) and the winter here being summer in Europe means most teams can raid players in between the group and round of 16/quarters. This was also a problem in the past format however only after the quarter finals, which I guess raiding them sooner is better for competition than you dominating then losing everyone at an important stage.

The big advantage is marketing. Now that each nation has at least 4 teams, there are more fans and even nations who could enjoy the Libertadores more. It also gives the champion a better chance to beat the Europeans in a fairer matchup, rather than the South Americans being completely raided after and left with nothing. Just imagine if Independiente del Valle had gone to the Club World Cup last year.

All formats need change eventually as some get stale over time. I felt the past format had a few issues, that said I did like the Libertadores first, Sudamericana second schedule they had in previous years. We all thought that the Sudamericana would die but there are still some top teams in there.

I think Sirbalon mentioned this earlier but I also think the cup winners cup should come back in place of the Europa league for a logic point of view. What's the point of the Europa league if you're not really crowned champion if anything? Champions league are the champions of each country, cup winners the champions of the domestic cup. Think it makes more sense if you look at it that way.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I think Sirbalon mentioned this earlier but I also think the cup winners cup should come back in place of the Europa league for a logic point of view. What's the point of the Europa league if you're not really crowned champion if anything? Champions league are the champions of each country, cup winners the champions of the domestic cup. Think it makes more sense if you look at it that way.

What happens with league/cup doubles?

Just now, Spike said:

Then it isn't really a cup winner's cup, is it? The idea falls flat because if the CL only accepts winners then why does the EL accept second best as well as winners?

I know, but I think you get my point. If not everything falls into place then let the runnerups go. I haven't really thought on a format though just the idea itself. There is a very low chance every team that wins the league in Europe will also win the cup anyhow.

As they say, all has a solution. I just find the Europa League to be pointless. What exactly are you a champion of? That said, I can see your point well and clear. Don't think many teams take it that seriously unless they have nothing to play for in their league anyways.

8 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He's dropped a level.

Just saw this, who dropped a level me or him (him being Rodriguez)

I get that it's a joke but I'm just curious.

I try not to reply to trolls like him but I would like to do much as say as living here in Peru with the press being biased and them talking a lot (at times I'm no better) but I never heard such rumour as to him going to Racing. If there was a rumour it was very low profile and humo. Universitario won't just offer their best player with a simple snap. If it was anything that had relevance I would have heard about it.

Not that it matters to a players level anyways.

Ricardo Gareca should have at least been on the list for the best manager in 2017.

He's 2 matches away to completing what seemed like the impossible. Of course its now a matter of "can he complete it".

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

3rd choice Goal Keepers need to be scrapped. 

What is the point? Waste of club's resources by paying him to sit on the bench when in all reality the club could just call up a reserve team keeper if both 1st and 2nd choice are unavailable. 

But what happens when you first team keeper is injured or suspended?  You play a game with no keeper on the bench?

Default win arguments are stupid. If a team loses 3-0 on default because they played an ineligible player or didn't meet some sort of requirement, I don't see why people can complain about it or defend it. Its the rule and the decision. There is no generosity or curve in the rule, it just needs to be enforced.

That wasn't where my point was headed though, the arguments are stupid because fans will always defend the winning side. For example, Peru got a 3-0 default win vs Bolivia so none of us complained. The reason was justified and we felt lucky for what we got, but there is no point in arguing as I feel the sides are fixed. The losing side will be complaining about unfair where as the winning side will be talking about the enforcement of the rules. If we had lost the points that we were given back, we would be complaining. Now obviously professional debate is different as that's the only way to settle a winner of the matter.

This opinion came from Universitario fans always complaining about Alianza Lima always winning by default, but now that we might get one, we're defending it. I'm personally always neutral, but I'm a journalist so I have to be that.

of course, freedom of speech is always allowed but I just feels it flows the same way every time.

I said this in the Liga MX thread and I will say it again. After Paolo Guerrero retires, Pedro Aquino will become the next best Peruvian player. For me, he's the best midfielder in Mexico at the moment (most locals are beginning to cave in) and I can see him becoming at a level to play for a club like Liverpool/Atletico Madrid/Roma. He'll become one of our all time best holding midfielders some day. REMEMBER THE NAME:

A salary cap needs to be introduced in UEFA. I don't care about fairity that the Americans always say is so important, I care about money not getting overwhelming. The Neymar move absolutely killed the market for years to come. Dembele would have been 100M max had Neymar not moved for that price. 

Its absolute madness that teams will spend more than 100M on a single human being. There are far more problems in the world that need to be solved and you're spending loads on a player that could quickly get injured for over a year or just not take it seriously.

I've always been against salary caps but I now think its the right thing to add in football. Its gotten out of hand.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

A salary cap needs to be introduced in UEFA. I don't care about fairity that the Americans always say is so important, I care about money not getting overwhelming. The Neymar move absolutely killed the market for years to come. Dembele would have been 100M max had Neymar not moved for that price. 

Its absolute madness that teams will spend more than 100M on a single human being. There are far more problems in the world that need to be solved and you're spending loads on a player that could quickly get injured for over a year or just not take it seriously.

I've always been against salary caps but I now think its the right thing to add in football. Its gotten out of hand.

There will always be a shitload of money in football. The only thing a salary cap would do is ensure more of that money goes to people other than the players.

50 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think a mid season break could be a good thing. It will give players a mental and psychical break and could help with injuries and maybe increase quality

I'm in two minds about this one and I think I always will be. All of the things you've said are correct and desirable, but I just love Christmas football.

Edited by Burning Gold

26 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

There will always be a shitload of money in football. The only thing a salary cap would do is ensure more of that money goes to people other than the players.

I'm in two minds about this one and I think I always will be. All of the things you've said are correct and desirable, but I just love Christmas football.

Doesn't necessarily have to be at Christmas. Could be early January. 

Pogba isn't performing at Manchester United because the mentality isn't as serious as it was a Juventus. At least the mentality that I see, I feel it clashes with what Pogba wants. I feel he's given more freedom to do what he wants off the pitch.

I'm not having that he isn't a world class player when he's serious.

• 4 weeks later...

Sayings like "The Barcelona era is done" shouldn't exist.

Barcelona's golden era was done a long time ago. That doesn't mean they won't compete though, and rather they'll just change the club they are. They'll continue to compete due to the finances and reputation they have earned in history. Same goes with AC Milan. Today they are awful, but they will bounce back sometime soon due to the sheer reputation they have.

Top clubs never die.

• The title was changed to Unpopular Football Opinions