The better place to talk football.

Portugal 2-1 Czech Republic - Tuesday 18th June, 2024

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

He needs much more than a slap.

One from each of us on this forum. 

Still won't be enough xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Serves me right for listening to BBC commentators. Idiots. 

No, you just  misheard what they said. They said it's his competitive debut, which is true. He's only played in a friendlies for Portugal before this match. Attention to detail my friend.😉

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

No, you just  misheard what they said. They said it's his competitive debut, which is true. He's only played in a friendlies for Portugal before this match. Attention to detail my friend.😉

That's what I meant all along :ph34r:

Refreshing thing about the competition is that players are scoring belters from distance. Unlike the PL where nobody hardly takes any shots from distance.

I get that route one football isn't the way to go, but not pumping the ball into the box to arguably the greatest aerial forward of all time is borderline incompetent. Every corner that Portugal took was short and ironically on one of the few occasions that they did put it into the mixer, Ronaldo hits the post and Jota scores (albeit offside). 

Not that it matters much. Portugal were absolutely shit the year they won the competition in the group stages and then clicked when it mattered. Like England, it's three points and that's literally all that matters in Game 1, given that the 3rd placed team may go through, Portugal are already all but in the knockouts. They're still 2nd favourites for me behind France and you just know the deeper we get into the tournament the more clutchness Ronaldo will become.

• Upvote 1

I think we fielded too many players to make the final pass but only one to receive them, and even Ronaldo himself wasn't always in the right position or making good runs. The amount of crosses and passes to the box that found no one was puzzling.

Fernandes, Bernardo, Leão all need to see the bench in matchday 2 imo. I really like Neto, and I want to see Jota starting a game, he was very good.

• The topic was unpinned