talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scotland 0-1 Hungary - Sunday 23rd June, 2024

• Administrator
Just now, Inverted said:

Worrying. It is still quite hard to see how the injury happened.

He was completely knocked out cold and on the reply I was looking at the Hungarian guy running closest to Ralston and Gunn, but it wasn't him that got hit.

Same, couldn't work it out. Can only imagine he had a flailing arm or knee hit him on the way down? 

• Subscriber

Somebody said Gunn caught his temple with his elbow. Didn't really see anything myself. Hope above all else that the guy is alright. It didn't sound good. Credit to the players carrying on the game so soon after because it sounded and looked quite traumatic.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I agree? They should be getting 3 points against Hungary. 

But I didn't say they 'should have' got 3 points vs Switzerland. I was saying that the other day it wasn't a 'great result' to only get a draw. It was 'better' for them to win in their penultimate group game as opposed to leave it til the final group game where the pressure is higher.

When you lose your first match, the next 2 matches are going to be high pressure matches and the odds of the Scots beating the Hungarians is higher than beating the Swiss. This match against the Hungarians was probably the only match that the Scots would have thought they have some chance of beating before the tournament. We have to take the opposition into account, otherwise we could also say that it wasn't a great result to lose to Germany.

4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Was that a penalty for Scotland? Looked like the Scottish player bought the Hungarian down to me 

Some referees would have given it, but it's one of those close calls.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Michael said:

When you lose your first match, the next 2 matches are going to be high pressure matches and the odds of the Scots beating the Hungarians is higher than beating the Swiss. This match against the Hungarians was probably the only match that the Scots would have thought they have some chance of beating before the tournament. We have to take the opposition into account, otherwise we could also say that it wasn't a great result to lose to Germany.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. 

Scotland played well vs Switzerland and had their chances to win. It would have been better going into tonight's game if they had 3 points on the board as opposed to 1.

As it turns out, they had 1 point going into tonight's game, having to win to give them the best chance to qualify. A draw is not likely to be enough, therefore the pressure mounts and becomes higher that they need to win. 

To be honest I don't think you'll ever get my perspective so let's leave it there xD

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Was that a penalty for Scotland? Looked like the Scottish player bought the Hungarian down to me 

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Not impossible but would have been a soft penalty. There was a bit of mutual pulling but once its not given by the ref, you're never going to get that on a VAR review.

I think it should have been. Armstrong plays for it somewhat, but Orban does clatter into the back of his leg. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying. 

Scotland played well vs Switzerland and had their chances to win. It would have been better going into tonight's game if they had 3 points on the board as opposed to 1.

As it turns out, they had 1 point going into tonight's game, having to win to give them the best chance to qualify. A draw is not likely to be enough, therefore the pressure mounts and becomes higher that they need to win. 

To be honest I don't think you'll ever get my perspective so let's leave it there xD

My perspective is that for Scotland to get a draw in a major competition with Switzerland, that can only ever be deemed a good result, seeing as Switzerland are much the better side. But yeah, lets leave it there. 

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

My perspective is that for Scotland to get a draw in a major competition with Switzerland, that can only ever be deemed a good result, seeing as Switzerland are much the better side. But yeah, lets leave it there. 

And this is why you won't see it from my perspective. You've totally ignored what I just said xD

Whether it's a good result or not, I'm saying they had the chance to take 3 points given the performance they put in, regardless of opposition, and that would have put them in a better position going into tonight's game... 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

And this is why you won't see it from my perspective. You've totally ignored what I just said xD

Whether it's a good result or not, I'm saying they had the chance to take 3 points given the performance they put in, regardless of opposition, and that would have put them in a better position going into tonight's game... 

Teams have chances, it's about putting it in the back of the net. They've had chances in this match, teams always get chances. You said that the result against the Swiss was not a good result for Scotland before, didn't you? After I commented that it was a good result. Anyway, I thought we were going to leave it lol.

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

You said that the result against the Swiss was not a good result for Scotland before, didn't you?

IN THE CONTEXT OF HAVING LESS PRESSURE GOING INTO THIS GAME. 

Literally all I'm saying. 

• Subscriber

Yeah I thought that was a penalty before for Scotland.

Shame for them. Perpetual pain of just not having quite enough quality to compete at this level. Also feel like the quality they do produce is either in defence or out and out goalscorers. Lack of creativity really limits how you can hurt other teams at this level. Support was top notch though.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

That was dire from Scotland.

Didn't even look like winning at any stage. Hungary had slightly more chances and quality of them, probably just about deserve the win. 

Suppose having to rely on Che Adams leading the line for you doesn't give you the best chance at all to progress. 

Yeah, get Clarke out.

Basically didn't make a single chance in a must-win game against broadly equal opposition until 90+ minutes, and even then, only did it by throwing on half a team of forwards and abandoning any sense of a shape.

Schafer and Szoboszlai both forced Gunn into saves with shots late in the game and Csoboth also hit the post late on in the game. So Csoboth's last minute goal was coming. Hungary will hope to make the Round of 16 after finishing 3rd in the group, but it's a waiting game to see how other results go, to know if they definitely advance.

Scotland are out, it's a shame for their fans, but they were always ranked the weakest team in the group, so we shouldn't be too surprised. Scotland have the oldest team at Euro 2024, you would have thought their experience would have helped them a bit more, but the other sides in the group are clearly better than them.

On a serious note, lets all hope that Varga gets a full recovery.