talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Have Comfortably Best Defence in Tournament

img_5678.thumb.jpg.6b51836485919a782fcb633de10b8d30.jpg

This is a great sign.

Defensively minded teams often win tournaments and we have the quality upfront to create a moment of magic to beat anybody.

This, along with us avoiding the best five teams to the final, just strengthens my belief it's coming home.

Does xG consider who is behind those chances? I've often wondered this. Are those numbers what they are because they've been balls played in by a bloke who plays for Olimpija Ljubljana to a bloke who plays for Panathanaikos rather than, say, someone from Barcelona playing in someone who plays for Real Madrid, as you'd fancy Mbappe to have a better chance of scoring a goal from a particular position compared to some Slovenian fella. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Does xG consider who is behind those chances? I've often wondered this. Are those numbers what they are because they've been balls played in by a bloke who plays for Olimpija Ljubljana to a bloke who plays for Panathanaikos rather than, say, someone from Barcelona playing in someone who plays for Real Madrid, as you'd fancy Mbappe to have a better chance of scoring a goal from a particular position compared to some Slovenian fella. 

They have Sesko up-front for them mate, whom half of the top European clubs are after. He is a top class player.

So let's see Germany had 2.03 conceded xG's and and conceded 2, which is less than expected- while England had 0.98 conceded xG and conceded 1, which is more than expected, doesn'rt sound like their defense were that well, ssince they conceded more than they were expected to, so they were underwhelming. Change my mind!

9 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I think you have to look at who England played.  Serbia and Slovenia offered little attacking threat and Denmark were not much better.

You could say that England's good defending had a hand in that. In any-case, we will see the cream rise to the top in the knock-out stages. We will be able to tell more during that stage. At the group stage, it's been Spain and Germany who have been the stand-out teams for me, then maybe Portugal(although they did have a relatively easy group).

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

So let's see Germany had 2.03 conceded xG's and and conceded 2, which is less than expected- while England had 0.98 conceded xG and conceded 1, which is more than expected, doesn'rt sound like their defense were that well, ssince they conceded more than they were expected to, so they were underwhelming. Change my mind!

That's one way of interpreting it xD 

55 minutes ago, Michael said:

They have Sesko up-front for them mate, whom half of the top European clubs are after. He is a top class player.

Yeah, that’s great and all but my question remains, does xG take into account the other side of things and who is taking the shot at goal?

• Subscriber
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah, that’s great and all but my question remains, does xG take into account the other side of things and who is taking the shot at goal?

Highly doubt it because it's just what happens in an instance or over a period and so those numbers can be flattering as a statistic, but they definitely don't take into account a lot more than just the outcome of the chance vs everything that leads up to it. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

I have no idea mate, sorry.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Mathematically absolutely correct, though.:ph34r:

The other way of looking at it is you've conceded more goals than England. And one of those being against Scotland. So who does have the better defence...? :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Oddly enough this is correct,  but right now I think they are trying to find anything positive to spin to cover up what is abject mediocrity.  

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

The other way of looking at it is you've conceded more goals than England. And one of those being against Scotland. So who does have the better defence...? :ph34r:

Wasn't me, who dragged about their defense being amazeballs, though.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wasn't me, who dragged about their defense being amazeballs, though.

But you felt the need to argue a point anyway...

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

But you felt the need to argue a point anyway...

Claiming to to follow an outstanding team, in whatever respect, after performing like England did in all of their group matches, will cause my contradiction, anyway. Regardless whoever is going to do it, since it's either deluded or disrespectful. You're absolutely correct.:ph34r:

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Amazing they didn't voluntarily resign from the tournament after that. Embarrassing and pathetic.

16 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It's just based on quality of chance creation. So every penalty will be something like 0.8 and you get players like Messi and Vardy who did regularly outscore there xG season upon season.