Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Matchday 4 (Group F) - Wednesday 1st November, 2017

Napoli vs Man City

Shakhtar vs Feyenoord

On 10/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, Pep Talk said:

going to be a fun game in Naples 

Its one of the games I am looking forward to this week.

For some reason I think city might drop points tonight. It will be interesting to see how they recover if they loose. They'll probably take it out on us on the weekend xD

think anybody in the world could drop points in Naples. A draw wouldn't be a bad result though. Pep won't change his style though so he's not going there for a point.

6 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

think anybody in the world could drop points in Naples. A draw wouldn't be a bad result though. Pep won't change his style though so he's not going there for a point.

Deffinitily a tough place to go to. A draw would be a good result for anyone

Man City get carved apart and Insigne makes it 1-0.

Napoli are brilliant. Lovely football and lovely to watch.

The reaping rewards of having a team full of 'footballers'. Well drilled too. 

football forum

Otamendi is having a stormer.

In Ukraine, Shakhtar is beating Feyenoord. Hope Renato Tapia is doing well on his return. I actually like the idea of him playing as a CB at this age as it teaches him to become more and more solid defensively.

football forum

Deserved lead for Manchester City. Napoli have been useless since Ghoulam came off injured.

1-2

football forum

Aguero scores but I have to (again) comend Leroy Sané for being a proper footballer. 2-3

football forum

This will definitely go down as City's win more than Napoli's loss. If it wasn't for PSG, I'd have these as favourites.

Napoli unfortunately aren't good enough for this...  They're great at playing beautiful football and have various ways to attack a side, but they're not at that level.  Still... It could've all been a lot easier had they not lost that stupid game against Shakhtar.  They have big problems in defence when it comes to playing against the real big boys and Koulibaly is extremely overrated...  Infact all the rumours coming out from the media cavern recently in terms of being connected to some of Europe's elite sides is laughable.  But I get it!

Gutted Napoli couldn't give a better example of themselves in this edition.  They're capable, but it means various planets have to be aligned.

football forum
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Napoli unfortunately aren't good enough for this...  They're great at playing beautiful football and have various ways to attack a side, but they're not at that level.  Still... It could've all been a lot easier had they not lost that stupid game against Shakhtar.  They have big problems in defence when it comes to playing against the real big boys and Koulibaly is extremely overrated...  Infact all the rumours coming out from the media cavern recently in terms of being connected to some of Europe's elite sides is laughable.  But I get it!

Gutted Napoli couldn't give a better example of themselves in this edition.  They're capable, but it means various planets have to be aligned.

What the hell are you on about... Koulibaly was easily the best of the 4 today.

Just now, Blue said:

What the hell are you on about... Koulibaly was easily the best of the 4 today.

Don't wet your knickers...

The 4 were shit so it doesn't say much about Koulibaly.

football forum

They really weren't. Napoli weren't at their best but didn't play a bad game. That includes the back 4.

Well, has Pep made a Barcelona 2.0? ..first English team to win in Napoli and against one of the top teams in the world right now and through to the knock outs with 2 games to spare, stay in this form and we could win it this season 

City look untouchable on all fronts and are so good to watch, they've got a chance of winning this competition. I'd fancy them to outscore any team in the world.

I don't trust Man City's defence enough to believe they haven't got bad days at the office in them when they play those that are also capable.  Manchester City for example haven't got the ease of a training league like Paris Saint-Germain have where Unai Emery can rotate and think about what's to come more at ease.  Emery could infact dedicate hours in his office to thinking just as much about a Champions League game 3 months down the line as his next Ligue1 game.

All of that matters and it's all about the daily grind in some cases which makes this particular star studded attack minded PSG extremely dangerous.  They can also outscore anyone!  Then there's the usual suspects in Europe's traditional historical elite that on any given day can wipe the floor with you if everything is aligned in that respect.

But Manchester City do look very very good indeed...  Providing (the usual rhetoric) Guardiola is intelligent in his rotation selections domestically and doesn't suffer sensitive injuries like for example De Bruyne.  Then anything is possible.

Pep's Bayern teams were fantastic domestically and couldn't get to a final, far too early to talk about winning the Champions League.

our depth is why we have a good chance to win the CL. We can rotate and keep guys fresh which helps a lot in a long season.

34 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

our depth is why we have a good chance to win the CL. We can rotate and keep guys fresh which helps a lot in a long season.

Various top teams have depth in terms of their possibilities in the Champions League mate...  It's all about when you use that depth!

Take for example Diego Simeone at Atlético Madrid who also has tremendous depth and look at them now!  Looks like Europa League football for them for the rest of this campaign.  He uses his depth when injuries or suspensions occur because he trusts key players that habitually play in the first team a lot more than others sitting on the bench that have also got tremendous quality.

Rotating for domestic cup games isn't rotation these days because almost every head coach does that.  It's rotating in the bread and butter of each respective league where bravery coupled with luck gets you a fresh first team arriving at the period of the season where titles are decided.

Can Pep Guardiola afford this in the Premier League?  Infact a better question is, does Guardiola trust the others enough as time goes by and it starts mattering more what you decide.  Zinedine Zidane got Real Madrid to win what they won last season due to that bravery in the second half of the season.  Just when the team were starting to stutter, he was brave and alternated with two different teams most weeks...  Infact for many the "B-Team" were playing better football than the "A-Team" were.

City have key players and one in particular called Kevin de Bruyne...  Pep really relies on him because as I said last season when he got that injury, he (De Bruyne) is the ONLY one who really really understands what Guardiola wants.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Various top teams have depth in terms of their possibilities in the Champions League mate...  It's all about when you use that depth!

Take for example Diego Simeone at Atlético Madrid who also has tremendous depth and look at them now!  Looks like Europa League football for them for the rest of this campaign.  He uses his depth when injuries or suspensions occur because he trusts key players that habitually play in the first team a lot more than others sitting on the bench that have also got tremendous quality.

Rotating for domestic cup games isn't rotation these days because almost every head coach does that these days.  It's rotating in the bread and butter of each respective league where bravery coupled with luck gets you a fresh first team arriving at the period of the season where titles are decided.

Can Pep Guardiola afford this in the Premier League?  Infact a better question is, does Guardiola trust the others enough as time goes by and it starts mattering more what you decide.  Zinedine Zidane got Real Madrid to win what they won last season due to that bravery in the second half of the season.  Just when the team were starting to stutter, he was brave and alternated with two different teams most weeks...  Infact for many the "B-Team" were playing better football than the "A-Team" were.

City have key players and one in particular called Kevin de Bruyne...  Pep really relies on him because as I said last season when he got that injury, he (De Bruyne) is the ONLY one who really really understands what Guardiola wants.

I wouldn't say the rest of Europe have great depth. Barca are very thin, real aren't as deep as they were last year. PSG are in the greatest advantage due to them likely being dominant in their league so should be more fresh than anybody else. I'm still high on Bayern though and think come business end of the CL will be up there.

You're right on KDB he is the biggest key to this team. He makes life so much easier for everybody else and the chances he does infact create.

depth only matters if your first choice are healthy and you can rotate them with the bench. Being able to rotate both of the silva's is a big deal as is resting Aguero and Jesus when possible. 

I thought we would badly miss Mendy but Delph has done an awesome job replacing him. Better than I expected.

I'm sure pep will look at a few defenders in the January transfer window but I'm sure there won't be a lot out there. 

Titles aren't won in November but can be lost in december/january if you aren't careful. Playing in the PL will always be seen as a disadvantage when it comes to the champions league but I think this team is the best equipped cope on both fronts.

Like every year though in the CL the draw is a huge part of success. Who you get early can decide a lot so we could win the group and get real or Bayern next round by that time maybe they are playing better football so it's hard to judge.