talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League 2024/25 - League Phase Matchday 1 - 17-19th September, 2024

Well it was a superb result for Bayern Munich today! They absolutely outclassed and blitzkrieged the Croatian Champions off the park this evening! Apart from a couple or so minutes right at the start of the 2nd half, it was complete Bayern domination! Bayern were superb and taught an experienced Dinamo Zagreb side a lesson in football today. It's not often we see a 9-2 thrashing in the Champions League and it is a result that Dinamo Zagreb will want to quickly forget. For Bayern, it still shows that their attacking abilities are top class and they are going to be a match for anyone in this years Champions League.

Bayern Munich 9-2 Dinamo Zagreb

Edited by Michael
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Reluctant Striker Got to be very happy with the result tonight. 3.0 away in your first champions league game is very impressive 

Yes, very happy. Seemed a bit surreal to hear the theme music. I do think we've perhaps had one of the easier games first up. I'm sure we played a few better sides in last season's Conference League.

Bayern Munich at Villa Park next will likely be a different game. But, every reason to think we'll give them a better contest than 9-2..

9 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Good win. You fear the worst when we go 1-0 down inside 3 minutes, especially after what happened at the weekend. We responded really well though to be fair.

Yeah, it wasn’t only an early goal but it was a really poor one to concede. I was a bit worried for the first ten minutes, but they quickly took hold of the game and it was convincing from there. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Other then the couple mins we fell asleep for a pretty solid performance all the way through. 

It was a very convincing and impressive performance against a Dinamo Zagreb side who are no mugs. I think there are still some question marks about Bayern's defence, especially when they will come up against top opposition, but they look very strong when they attack.

In today's early kick-offs, Bologna drew 0-0 with Shakhtar Donetsk in Bologna. Bologna's Polish keeper saved an early penalty from Shakhtar's Sudakov, as early as the 3rd minute of the match. While Sparta Prague thrashed RB Salzburg 3-0 in the other early match.

Bologna 0-0 Shakhtar Donetsk

Sparta Prague 3-0 RB Salzburg

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Michael said:

It was a very convincing and impressive performance against a Dinamo Zagreb side who are no mugs. I think there are still some question marks about Bayern's defence, especially when they will come up against top opposition, but they look very strong when they attack.

What I want to see is Palhinha start in front of that defence, only had it once so far so I cant really judge much. Tbh though Upa and Kim have nearly always been suspect starting together so idk if that will fix much either. Unfortunately we have to wait a little while until either Ito or Stanisic can take one of the spots so they will get yet another extended look for better or worse. 

Jamie Bynoe-Gittens came on as a sub for Dortmund in the 68th minute against Brugge and the Englishman went on to score 2 goals for them. Guirassy scored a 3rd goal for Dortmund from a penalty in injury time at the end of the match, but it was really Jamie Bynoe-Gittens who really helped Dortmund win that match. The 20 year old winger is really improving as a player and he looks to have a very bright future ahead of him.

Club Brugge 0-3 Borussia Dortmund

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

The European Super League is a bit shit, isn’t it?

I think the new format makes it more interesting. Obviously some teams will get easier draws but you could say that about the group stages. The only issue I have with it's that teams don't play home and away against the same teams 

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I think the new format makes it more interesting. Obviously some teams will get easier draws but you could say that about the group stages. The only issue I have with it's that teams don't play home and away against the same teams 

It’s utterly meaningless. Twenty-four teams qualify, you’re going to have to be unbelievably shit as a team from any of the top five leagues not to qualify and the bottom twelve will just be the cannon fodder that were from the old Pots 3 and 4 and clubs that are massive domestically but cut adrift financially by the behemoths from the top five leagues. You can have appetising looking fixtures in this format but they’re worth nothing because almost everyone goes through. 

It’s just the latest greed move by UEFA and its clubs, pushed through the back door whilst people stamped their feet about the Super League, and it’s effected domestic football and will continue to do so. 

Really struggling for creativity without Ødegaard. Just playing safety first, not giving them much space, and hoping we get something off the break or from a set piece. Similar to the Tottenham game.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Really struggling for creativity without Ødegaard. Just playing safety first, not giving them much space, and hoping we get something off the break or from a set piece. Similar to the Tottenham game.

Odegaard done long term?